Politics The story of a boy...

How far is too far?

I knew this world was unfair, but I must explain my utter dislike for ignorant people that think they get their fun out of controlling and abusing someone that loves them. The fact that they can still sleep at night and wake up in the morning with a smile on their face after they’ve made their loved ones life a living hell makes me utterly sick. The reason I’m writing this is because I can’t say it out loud, nor to the certain people I want to express these feelings too.

I met a boy three years ago. He was the manager of the girl tennis team at my high school when I was a sophomore, and we immediately hit it off. Instant friends. This boy is so fun to be around, so happy…or so I thought.

Three years later I find out it’s a façade, a shield that he has made so people don’t find out what’s really going on when he goes home. It made sense, all the clubs he was involved in, all the hours spent at school even after classes were over. He didn’t want to go home. And now I understand why.

He’s leaving tomorrow. He’s going to Pakistan to visit his fading grandmother that he hasn’t seen in fifteen some odd years. His parents have already told him he can’t bring photo ID; if it were discovered he was an American he would be abducted and held for ransom by terrorists in the next town. What kind of morbid people would let their son go to a country by himself when he could possibly never return?

The relationship with his parents has always been strained, so he has told me. They talk down to him like he is insufficient to their expectations, that he somehow isn’t good enough. Let me tell you something, they’re not f***in’ good enough to have him in their lives. They told him he was fat, he’s only a 110 pounds. Their badgering and low comments caused him to become bulimic. He said he hasn’t done it in a few months, but he still doesn’t eat very much.

This past year he came out to me and told me he was gay. Which I had absolutely no problem with. It hasn’t ever made me look at him any differently in any way. I love him for who he is. But his family isn’t as accepting. When he finally came out to them on his 18th birthday they were furious. They tore apart his room, literally. They ripped up photos of friends, yearbooks from the last ten years of school, personal letters, they took his phone away, they ripped up his magazines and his books and threw out his clothes, they took away his computer, they took away his life.

He ran away that night, went downtown into the city to stay with a friend that goes to Columbia. His sister started calling to see where he was, he hadn’t called any of his friends because his parents had taken his cell phone. She informed us that his mother was in the hospital being treated for a heart attack. His family finally found him and dragged him home, the girl he was staying with called the police and the squad cars met him at his house in Hanover Park. They asked him if he was being held against his will. He was forced to say no by his family, they had given him the guilt trip and he was too run down emotionally to fight it.

He was cut off from his friend for almost three weeks. There wasn’t a morning I woke up when I didn’t worry, didn’t wonder what they did to him, how they were treating him. He finally called one night and told me everything that had happened. I was too hysterical at first; I was sad but at the same time relieved to hear from him.

He told me that the only way he was calling me was due to the fact that he had hidden the letter I had given him before he graduated. I wrote my number down just in case, and that simple gesture turned out to make a difference. One other and my own were the only contacts he had.

I finally got to take him out, I went to pick him up and he came out to the car annoyed. He told me I had to meet his parents; otherwise they wouldn’t let him leave. I agreed reluctantly. I’ve never met these people, ever. But I went in hating them; in my mind I disliked them for hurting him in ways I’m sure they knew they were and at the same time didn’t. I hated them for breaking him. I forced myself to be nice, for his sake. They told me to understand; they told me they loved him very much. It was bullsh*t. I wanted to scream, I wanted to shake my head in disgust and tell them I had absolutely no respect for them and I never would. He stood there with his head down, having no choice in the situation.

Last night we went out to eat with two other friends, we were having a great time. It was the last time in months that we would be together. Kyle was going to Arizona for college, Gina was going to the city, he was going to Pakistan for three months, and I was going to college for a few years. It was the last time we would have together as high school students, as friends, as innocent teenagers. But after thinking about it – are we innocent? After all the thoughts and feeling due to this situation and others, are we really innocent?

I doubt that now.

I caught him looking at me yesterday, at dinner. There was no smile, no laugh, nothing, just a blank stare. He was trying to take it all in, to make the situation stick to memory, to remember that night when all the other memories just wouldn’t do. I could tell he was sad, he doesn’t want to go. And the fact is, I don’t want him too.

I’ve tried so hard in last few months to make him smile, and it feels really good when it works. One night when I drove him home he thanked me, he told me he hadn’t smiled and laughed like that in weeks, since we’d last seen each other. I didn’t want it to be true, but I knew it was.

We were supposed to go out tonight, but his parents wouldn’t let him. His entire family showed up and he couldn’t leave.

You know, there’s a saying that friends come and go but family is forever. That’s bullshi*. Whoever made that quote up has never seen a friend hurt. He told his family straight out that we (his friends) have been more of a family to him than they have. Besides, whoever said that friends couldn’t be family? Whoever said that family was always loyal and loving? This isn’t the Brady Bunch, there’s no breaks, no everlasting happiness.

This bothers the hell out of me, everyday. Because I want so much to help him, but there is only so much I can do, and it’s never going to be enough.

His parents want him to go to Iowa to run a hotel they’re buying. He’s going to Iowa State to study hospitality instead of his original major of teaching. They want him away from his friends, for good.

They control his life by using his weakness against him. Guilt.

There’s really nothing else I can say, I can’t put what I feel for his family into words. It’s a different culture, that much I know, and I don’t understand the things they do at times. But since when is love defined differently in any culture? Love is what it is, you can’t pretend. They say that they love him, but I wonder if they do. I’m sure they have some love for him, like family love. But this is a different kind of love, it’s respect, understanding, acceptance.

I feel like I have no answers, like things just keep happening that cause more questions.

But one thing I do know. I love him.

He has to take photographic ID with him. As far as I'm aware there is not a massive kidnap threat in Pakistan. You may want to check with the State Department or Foreign Office.

I live in a town with a massive Pakistani and Bangledeshi community and stories of ill relatives which turn in to forced marriages are all too common. Now his grandmother may be ill, in which case I'm unnessecarily cyncial but don't take the risk. Find the nearest consulate or embassey and keep photo id. If anything happens they can help.

I know our Foreign Office repartiates people in this situation so check with the who ever deals with your foreign affairs and they may do something similar.

Please don't kill me for what I'm going to say but I think I can understand his parents.
I can see why they are doing all those things, but that doesn't mean I agree with them because the things you've describe are really horribles

Their culture is really different from yours because it's based on tradition and religion. So I can see why they are acting like that (n) , but they are so wrong.

From where I come traditions are also important but less than in Pakistan. And remember that Pakistan is the opposite of the US. What is ok in the US is in acceptable in Pakistan.

Pakistan is a Muslim country and ppl's lives are based on their religion.

As for not having his papers on him it's normal, if ppl knows he's American he will have more chances to be kidnapped than someone who is living in Pakistan. Esp with what is going on in Iraq and Afghanistan, the US are kind of hated in Pakistan.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with my post :blush: :(

The things is, they've pushed him so far that he doesn't like his culture anymore. He wants to convert to another religion. And the other thing is, they aren't nearly as hard on his sisters and brothers as they are on him. He is more Americanized, which is most likely a reason. But the fact that they berate him like they do makes me sick, because it hurts him. Alot.

It happens to so many Indian people too.

I grew up with an Indian best friend, who went through many of the same things. She had an older sister who also went through it. And for women the situation is often even more hopeless. And they aren't Muslim. Hindu and Sikh communities force these same things on children. If they choose to move to the Western world it is ridiuclous for them to expect their Western-born children to follow traditions and ideas (like arranged marriage back in India).

One of my good friends in high school was subject to parental control.

She was one of the top students in our class...straight As throughout her entire school career. She was definitely going to do things. Yet, the day she turned 18 she was forced to marry a man she hardly knew, and forced to move in with him and his family.

It broke my heart...all of our hearts. There were 30 of us involved in this "elite" crowd. We were part of the Humanities program at school (which are classes that are a step up from honors...not everyone can get into it). We had been in the same classes since freshman year.

She still stayed on top of her school work but also had to work a grueling job to help support her new husband and his family.

Her parents began adding pressure on when they wanted her to attend Carolina and be a doctor. It became to much for her and she quickly severed ties from her parents.

She has a better relationship with them now, but decided to do community college as the stress of work and being a newlywed got to her. She's doing better now and is still hoping to go to med school.

While I think it's awful to see what her parents have done, I do understand. It is part of their culture and they have such a hard time giving it up. They worry that their children won't respect their religion or values and pressure and force them to do things to make sure that the values are respected. They view America as a land of oppertunity, but don't view Americans in the same regard.

I don't excuse their behavior, and think that once you move to America things do need to change and that needs to be understood. But I do understand why they do the things they do.

And in the case of your friend, although what they've done is awful, I can see that they're trying to protect their strict religious and personal values that Americans might not share with them.

yeah...i know what you mean about controlling parents...Its all about which culture you're from there are cultures where its considered a good thing to do whatever it takes for control... :blink: :Ph34r:

there's actually a really insightful book about parental control which im reading at the moment. its called 'my sister's keeper' and its by jodi picoult... basically it's about how a girl decideds to sue her parents for the rights to her own medical control coz theyre always making her donate to her sister who has leukemia.. its a very interestin read although im only halfway through it.

i think what happened to your friend is awful and you have a right to be angry about it coz even if they do have different beliefs etc, they have to realise that living in a Western society such as American is very different and their children will grow up with different views to their own.

Back