Horror The Strain

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: The Strain

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Drama, Mystery

First aired: 2014-07-13

Creator: Guillermo del Toro, Carlton Cuse

Cast: Corey Stoll, Kevin Durand, Miguel Gomez, David Bradley, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Max Charles, Ruta Gedmintas, Rupert Penry-Jones

Overview: A high concept thriller that tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.
The Strain

The Strain is a new proposed TV series by Guillermo del Toro for the FX network. It is based on a vampire novel trilogy del Toro co-wrote with Chuck Hogan. Dark Horse has previously adapted the trilogy to a comic series.

The trilogy tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of the Centers for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism.

So far a pilot episode has been ordered with an eye towards a 13-episode limited series. The cast to date includes Oscar nominee John Hurt, Roger Cross (recently seen in Alphas), and Sean Astin (recently seen in Lord of the Rings).

View attachment 1203

It's confirmed, FX has picked up the series for at least 13 episodes. The only change from the pilot to the series is that one of the main characters, Professor Abraham Setrakian, played by John Hurt in the pilot, will be recast with a different actor.

strain.jpg

Based on the books also written by Del Toro, The Strain follows the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather who investigates a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads. The doctor and his team with help, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.

We've been teased with a number of short snippets over the last few weeks culminating finally in a proper trailer! FX will air the first episode on 13 July (my birthday - coincidence or portent? :D) I'm looking forward to settling down and viewing this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been watching this one. This is so good, a little gory at times for my taste but I have watched every episode so far. I'm not familiar with anyone in the cast expect that actor who played Sam in Lord Of The Rings trilogy, his name escapes me at the moment. This has been picked up for a second season.

I really like their takes on vampires.
They are extremely nasty and ugly. No sexual undertones here. :smiley:

Some characters has been annoyingly stupid though.
The, I am extremely sick, but refuse to admit it, thing got old quite fast.

Overall it's good though.
The rat catcher is my favourite character so far.

/SK

I'm so behind on shows, finished this one not long ago. I so liked the finale, didn't expect or see it coming.The second season really looks awesome possum and looks like some interesting allies to help the group now. Can't wait.

Season 4 premieres July 16!
I am taking the night off. I'll be in Westeros AND fighting Strigoi. :ROFLMAO: Very busy.
Season 4 trailer
THAT IS PALMER AS STRIGOI IN TRAILER! I didn't recognize him at first!

Back