Horror The Terror

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: The Terror

Genre: Mystery, Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2018-03-26

Creator: Edward Berger

Cast: George Takei, Kiki Sukezane, Shingo Usami, Naoko Mori, Miki Ishikawa, Cristina Rodlo, Derek Mio

Overview: A chilling anthology series featuring stories of people in terrifying situations inspired by true historical events.
The Terror

I haven't seen any episodes yet but if it has a monster in it I'm certainly interested.
The trailer says based on true events, Not Likely, but even if it is an unknown bear or something it still may prove to be entertaining. I'm curious to see what it looks like...

1800's... English expedition... frozen expanse...

If the synopses Tom posted didn't mention Inuit I would've guessed Frankenstein's monster.

If the synopses Tom posted didn't mention Inuit I would've guessed Frankenstein's monster.
I'm thinking it might be a prehistoric polar bear of some kind?
On the site I found the streaming links the comment stream suggests a decent series.
I'm kinda wanting to wait to see if it gets a season two.
That would indicate it has at least something worth checking out.

Recently I watched the film Unnatural (2015). It was about a polar bear that was genetically modified and that was a pretty decent creature design.
Almost Werewolf-like:
1523475453292.png

Doing a bit of research I found this:
Signal Horizon/Horror/Science Fiction/Culture/Movies/Literature
Apparently the creature is called a Tuunbaq.

Another episode down and still no Tuunbaq. We have seen the aftermath of encounters with this mythical beast(bodies parts and brains galore) but not even a hint of the beast itself. No shadows, no tufts of hair, not even any obligatory drool.

In creating the monster for The Terror, Dan Simmons borrowed from many different Inuit cultures and melded together his own killing machine part polar bear part saber tooth tiger. Contrary to popular belief, Tuunbaq is a fictional creation of Dan Simmons rendered from the Inuit religious concept of Tuurngait which translates roughly to "killing spirit" In the Inuit faith Tuurngait can be either good or evil depending on the person summoning the spirit and the purpose. It is thought they were responsible for the destruction or loss of weapons, household items and crops. They could also be helpful in protecting their master, finding food or animals for hunting and healing. Depending on the particular Inuit culture, tribesman could invoke a particular class of things like fish or caribou or polar bears and harness the power of the animal. This could also be accomplished only by Shaman in another Inuit culture and still a third believed this could be done through idols or trinkets worn on their person. In some cases the trinkets could number so many it was difficult to perform everyday tasks.
Sounds like a Wendigo to me.

In the novel, while Franklin and his crew are plagued by starvation and illness, and forced to contend with mutiny and cannibalism, they are stalked across the bleak Arctic landscape by a monster. ~ wiki

The Tuunbaq
A soul-devouring monster from Inuit mythology, the Tuunbaq is an indestructible killing machine that has taken the form of a massive polar bear with an elongated neck. The product of a war between the Inuit gods, it has been banished to the frozen northern wastes. The Tuunbaq preys on all creatures within its icy domain but particularly likes to eat the souls of humans. Only the sixam ieua' - spirit governors of the sky - a select group of Inuit shaman, specially bred for their psychic abilities, hold any sway over the beast. The sixam ieua allow the Tuunbaq to eat their tongues as a sign of their dedication, but they can summon the creature and pay homage to it with their throat singing and gifts of animal flesh. They communicate with it (and other sixam ieua) using a form of telepathy.

1523476069427.png

About the ONLY TRUTH is the fact that Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to locate the Northwest Passage happened, the rest is pure fantasy.

The key spirit said to be the basis for Simmon's beast is the Innuit goddess Sedna. Said to be the ruler of marine and sea life she was as comfortable on or off land and controlled all life within the sea. She is thought to be a vengeful goddess and would require placation to avoid her wrath in the form of favors and gifts. In addition to controlling sea life she is also credited with controlling weather and supernatural creations. Everything from werewhales (that sounds bad a**), seals, fish and ice tornadoes (also cool) are in her wheelhouse. There are many variations of this myth but all of them feature the gross mistreatment of a woman or girl at the hands of men, usually her father as a triggering event. ~ linked source

In the making of the AMC surprise hit, Netsilik Inuit and Inuk people were consulted and hired almost exclusively as actors and consultants (bravo AMC). Costumes were fashioned from appropriate materials and translators were used to facilitate communication between the primarily English speaking crew and actors and Inuk actors and authority. This attention to detail offers an authenticity to a show already steeped in historical content. It provides an atmosphere and environment primed for the acceptance of a mythical killing machine rooted in Inuit lore.

So according to this source, 4 episodes in and no monster yet. Plenty of gore, no monster.

I watch drama for the stories, I watch horror for the monsters. I'm not really attracted to the gore but a cool looking monster will keep me coming back for more. The 'Promise' is a cool looking monster. If it delivers a well-designed/filmed monster but only a few minutes in an entire season, I'll pass. If we get to see it, follow it, watch it function, I'm gunna be glued. I don't want another series like The Mist (2017) from Spike.

Some reviews: Source and commenter identity withheld

Having watched the entire season I feel a little cheated by the final episode. The atmospheric tension throughout the first 9 seemed to vanish about half way through episode 10 in a race to get to the punchline – and the rushed punchline became a total anticlimax. That said, I enjoyed the rest. What those men endured I couldn’t possibly begin to imagine. If you’re interested in history it’s worth checking out some of the Franklin / North West Passage documentaries – Including Roald Amundsen’s triumph in 1905’ish.

1-8 By the Rocket’s Red Glare! What a crazy last 7 minutes!
I was ROLMAO when Mr. Blakeley said “Neptune’s Balls! I am coming with you!” (This was a very popular British Naval Curse word in the 19th Century)
Interesting reading on what these men were actually suffering with health wise: How did the Franklin expedition crew die? Professor analyzes sailors' mouths for clues
“Coca Wine” or Cocaine and Wine, was an actual medicinal tonic during the 19th Century..can you imagine adding that mixture to this FUBAR situation? Like gas on a brush fire! I also was confused at first as to why the large number of small, double barrel shotguns in the armory and then it occurred to me that during the mid-19th century, repelling boarders (enemy soldiers trying to board a military vessel) was still a veryreal threat and what better weapon in close quarter combat than a shotgun.

Whole season out now. For those concerned, episodes 6,7,8 all have hardcoded subs for any Innuit parts.

Holy Bat Turds! The Entire Season!! Many Thanks UB..,got a nice binge coming on
This series was a pleasant surprise for American TV…you typically only find this quality in foreign series…the writing and acting is just superb.

So, whole season now available but no mention of the Awesome Monster. That is a bit disheartening for me.
While it seems to be well-received, monsters, I need Monsters!

I watched the 1st and 5th episodes.
Very rich production, attention to details but I found the first episode kinda boring.
The 5th episode (current one) is a bit better, still heavy on the period drama but got to see the creature.
Meh, kinda like a polar bear with a man's eyes. Yes, it has a long neck but not exaggerated long, polar bears already have long necks. Its certainly vicious and determined (chases a man up a mast, goes right up after him).
As far as I know, polar bears can't climb masts and rope ladders, so there's that...
The 5th episode got me interested in the creature but the first episode put me off with the drama.
Might hit and peck a few other episodes for a decent look at the creature. Its what drew me in the first place.
Like I said, the production values are rich and full. Certainly well-made. It might grow on me.

there have been stories for years of giant monster bears up there.
theory that a few 'Short-Faced Bears' were still around.
these are the cave-man era bears. larger and leaner.
arctodus.jpg

I have been watching this & really like it, though the captains on this ship are totally clueless. Never listen to their crew. Crew all ought to just mutiny.

Loving the series. They got lucky with this awesome casting. I feel it all. The cold, the isolation, the fear.
Of course that poor monkey can't be for this world long, lol.
I'm up to & finished ep 5.