The Test of Time

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

Ok, so a little back ground. So... a while ago cuz this fic was written at the end of June... I was watching the movie Kate & Leopold (Hugh Jackman 🤤) and thought :Ponder: hmm interesting concept
now before you say anything - yes, i know there is a fic at SD-1 called Syd & Michel by Old Romantic that is ALSO based on Kate & Leopold - however, mine is VERY different. For starters, Michael is from the present and SYDNEY is from the past - which is why i wanted to write this. I wanted to turn the tables a bit. Anyway i had fun with it and ... you know me :P
Enjoy :coolio:
Oh right 25 chapters ;)

Title: The Test of Time
Genre: S/V AU
Summary: After a ridiculous assignment sends him back to 1860, Michael must not only find a way back to 2005, but deal with a beautful young southern bell named Sydney Bristow, who he ran into (litterally ;) ). Once Sydney follows Michael back to the future, how will she react to the dramatic changes of the modern world? And how will they be able to send her back once she's seen and loved the world she is completly unfamilair with?

Chapter 1
“Eric, this is by far the stupidest mission in the history of all missions. I mean, seriously I think Marshall was smoking some crack when he came up with this. And Devlin has totally gone off the deep end for approving this mission. They’ve all lost their minds.” Michael grunted as he and Eric trudged along the beach.

“Chill out man.” Eric rolled his eyes.

“Excuse me, I will not chill out. Please don’t tell me you buy into this BS. I mean come on: time vortexes, parallel universes... that’s a bit too sci-fi for me.” Michael groaned.

“Yeah, but everyone seems to buy into it so...,” Eric sighed.

“Whatever,” Michael sighed. He dug down into his pocket and pulled out a pair of swimming goggles.

“What’s that?” Eric asked.

“Well, I figure there is no such thing as a time vortex right? So, when I jump off the pier into the ‘vortex’,” he said using air quotes. “I’m going to land in the Pacific Ocean and I’ll have to swim back to shore. That’s why I have the goggles.” Michael grinned.

“Ok, so what happens when you actually end up back in 1860?” Eric asked with his arms folded over his chest.

“If I end up in 1860, I’ll eat the goggles,” Michael said defiantly.

“Ok whatever Captain Skeptizmo,” Eric sighed.

“Eric, don’t tell me you believe this? Because, honestly, I don’t have any interest in traveling back to 1860 to spy on some cave. So, if you want to, be my guest.”

“No, that’s ok man, you can go.” Eric grinned.

“Fine. I’ll see you in a few minutes then,” Michael said as he turned to climb up the steep, sandy embankment towards the pier.

“Don’t forget the vortex is only open until midnight!” Eric called after him.

“Yeah, I’m sure.” Michael grumbled under his breath. “This is ridiculous.” He muttered. Two hours earlier he had been sitting in Devlin’s office receiving his ‘instructions’ for traveling to the past, all the while laughing and trying to argue his way out of it. The CIA wanted him to go back and search for some documents that were supposed to be hidden in a cave before it was collapsed by dynamite. His only warning was simple: don’t interact with anyone and don’t do anything that could affect future events - as is always the code when dealing with time travel. To this warning, Michael had retorted that finding the document would be ‘messing with future events’, but he was heavily chastised for his remark.

So, there he was, standing on the edge of the Santa Monica pier, taking a few deep breaths before his plunge into the icy cold water. He looked up at the sky when he heard thunder rumbling above. Great, he thought, I’m going to have to deal with a storm. “Alright, here goes nothing,” he sighed as he put his goggles over his eyes and leapt off the pier.

He was falling for much longer than he expected. He held his breath in anticipation of the icy cold water flooding over his body, but soon he had to let it out and gasp for another as he was traveling much longer that he could hold his breath. Finally, he crashed, but was shocked when his legs crumpled against hard earth. He collapsed onto the ground and groaned in agony.

He closed his eyes for a moment, recovering from the shock and trying to figure out what happened. Finally, he sat up and opened his eyes slowly. He couldn’t see through the goggles since there appeared to be a layer of tan dirt across them. He slipped them off his faced and gasped at what he saw. “Holy s***,” he muttered aloud.

He was sitting on the dirty ground. Everything around him seemed to be covered in a layer of the tan colored dust, giving everything a similar appearance. Slowly, he got up and nearly jumped twenty feet when a horse snorted as it trotted past him. The man riding the horse who was wearing a large brimmed hat, a plaid shirt, dark pants and boots with spurs looked at him suspiciously, but kept riding.

Michael looked down at himself and noticed that he was completely covered in the tan dirt which hid his black jeans, black t-shirt and black vest well enough that he could blend in reasonably well. He took two shaky steps forward and began to observe his surroundings better. “Dear god I’ve entered a western movie,” he sighed as he caught a glimpse of the main street that had saloons, a post office with Wanted posters, horses, and stage coaches. He began to walk down the street, not paying attention at all to where he was walking until he bumped smack into someone. “Oh god I’m sorry,” he said. “I didn’t... I...,” he stopped as he locked eyes with the person he ran into and came face to face with the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. “Woah...”

“Woah?!” she repeated, her voice sweet with a thick southern accent.

“I mean, um, sorry I wasn’t looking where I was going. Are you alright ma’am?” he asked. Chivalry, Vaughn, think chivalry.

“I’m fine. I do hope you’ll be more careful next time,” she said as she turned to walk away.

“Wait,” Michael said as he ran a few steps to catch up with her, throwing protocol completely out the window. “What’s your name?”

“I’m sorry, sir, but I’m not supposed to speak with strangers. Good day,” she said with a slight sparkle in her eye and amusement in her voice.

“Well, my name is Michael Vaughn. Now we’re not strangers.” He grinned.

She smiled slightly in return. “You are very peculiar Mr. Vaughn.”

“I am?” he asked.

“Yes,” she said. “For many reasons least of all your clothing. What is this?” She pointed to his chest. He looked down and saw one of the plastic zippers to his vest pocket showing through. Michael thought for a second before responding. Clearly, they did not have plastic in this time. This was bad.

“Umm, it’s nothing,” Michael said quickly.

“Very well, good day, sir,” she said as she walked away again.

“Wait no,” he said as he reached out and grabbed her arm. Big mistake. She spun around and shook his grasp off her.

“I don’t know who you think you are but you are certainly no gentlemen for touching a lady so,” she said with an icy glare.

“I’m terribly sorry.” He sighed. “I just wanted to ask you a question. It’s very important. Please.”

“Very well,” she sighed with her arms folded over her chest.

“Where am I?”

little cliffy to get you into it :D
as always, ask for PMs :D

3rd!!! I'm on a roll (I woulda been 1st cept my comp crashed, crappy junk)
Anywayz I LOVE IT!!! You have got to PM me. ( I Love Hugh Jackman, he's just one of many HOTT Aussies. Go the Gold and Greens). Kate and Leopold is one of my fav movies (that DVD extra with Hugh with no shirt on and he's in the bath??? Ohhhh yeah.) Great intro, I'm already loving the S/Vness.

Anji

“Well, I figure there is no such thing as a time vortex right? So, when I jump off the pier into the ‘vortex’,” he said using air quotes. “I’m going to land in the Pacific Ocean and I’ll have to swim back to shore. That’s why I have the goggles.” Michael grinned.
smart! :D

mikey loves syd. ^_^

That was awesome!!!

Please keep me on the pm list :smiley:

I can't wait for an update ^_^

I have a feeling that Syd is gonna be intrigued by the handsome stranger ;)

Back