The Test

Title: The Test
Author: Jenn, Jennyfer, Vaughn's Jenn... Yeah
Rating: PG-PG13
Summary: AU (alternate universe) Sydney and Vaughn meet under very different circumstances.

Prologue

"What makes you even think that I will be able to give up an agent as valuable as the one you are asking for? I'm sure that you are aware of the various crisises that are occuring throughout the world... so my question is why are you depriving us of two agents?"

The man bent his head slightly, closed his eyes and momentarily fingered the bunch of skin that appeared between his eyebrows. "What I'm trying to express here is the very need that you are talking about to refute my claim. Yes there are problems in the world. Yes, we need all available agents. But you should also know that last month alone, two of our agents have turned out to be doubles, four have been killed, three are in the hospital because of injuries ranging from minor to critical. These aren't good statistics. You are listening to me saying this and you're still questioning my orders?"

"So what is it that you want to do exactly?"

"You didn't read the report."

"I didn't read the report."

"We have designed a test... short term of course, we can't afford to do anything longer, in order to determine how long it might take an agent to become aware of his surroundings, including the people he is surrounded by."

"So you need two intelligent but green CIA officers... and you are going to pit them against each other?"

The man slapped a pile of files onto the desk. "No. They will not be "pitted" against each other. Both will be put into a situation that they think is real in order to garner as much information as they can on the subject. Because this situation will be simulated but wholly unreal, the real test will be how long it takes for them to realize the existence and true identity of the other."

Agent Kelly scoffed. "And what do you think these games will get you?"

"Ideas for training. Agents not only need to know how to defend themselves and how to evaluate their situations, they also now need to be able to be totally aware of the details that life throws them. We can't afford another Ticonagua disaster, Kelly."

To that, the agent had no answer. They most definitely could not afford another Ticonaugua disaster.

"So I choose two from these files?"

"Negative. You choose one. The other has already been chosen."

"Really? And who is lucky enough to be your test-rat?"

The man smirked. "Sydney Bristow. 22 years old, just graduated from the farm at a pace that's almost unheard of."

Agent Kelly skimmed the contents of the skinny file, eyebrows raising at the list of accomplishments the young Bristow had already accumulated. "She's impressive. Do you want someone who can match her?"

"In total capacity yes but not in the specifics. Rather than pitting two people with the exact same way of thinking and reacting against eachother... Bristow tends to be less controlled. She's been too much affected by whatever hardships that life has thrown her way. I want someone calculating... a strategic."

"Funny how you used the phrase "pitting against eachother"... Freudian slip?"

"Just find me my agent."

"It's done. Michael Vaughn is by far the best strategic mind in this section... and he only graduated from the Farm himself a few years back. Still green... Devlin's been loading him with paperwork until Firdaus retires."

"All right then."

"Okay."

"Kelly?"

"Yeah?"

"Next time... read the file."

tbc...

More?

I know that it's kinda weird you guys... And i'm sorry but it was just an idea i had suddenly while reading my Puritan Colonies handout so i had to get it out... If it's boring, then don't be mean about it, but let me know how i can fix it. I don't really care about the prologue though since the story so obviously begins in this situation with syd and vaughn :naughty: :lol:

Let me know what you think!

-jenn

Author: Jenn, Jennyfer, Vaughn's Jenn... Yeah
Rating: PG-PG13
Summary: AU (alternate universe) Sydney and Vaughn meet under very different circumstances.

Chapter 1

"Wait... you want to put me out in the field?" There was a look, a mixture of looks really, of attempted control, surprise, giddyness... Distrust.

"Yes."

"I'm sorry but... I don't really understand. I just graduated The Far-"

"I'm aware of your past, Agent Bristow. However, I am also aware of your standing, your record... it's all very impressive really."

She leaned forward, placing her hands on his desk before realizing what she was doing and sitting back down. "But I'm completely green. You want to put me in the field? Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

The man raised an eyebrow in mock puzzlement. "Are you trying to get out of this?"

"What? No! No... that's not what I meant. It's just... surprising, that's all."

She bit her lip, feeling the heat of embarassment washing over her, feeling acutely how young she was, how inexperienced... how much she still had to learn about controlling her emotions. Strategizing. "What am I doing?"

"You're going undercover as Lily Stevens. You'll be posing as an intern at Barnard and King."

"The law firm?"

"The law firm."

"How long am I going to be there?"

"I'm not sure. Are you going to be comfortable there?"

It was then that Sydney felt the slightly condescending tone. God Syd, stop acting like such a baby. You're not working for McDonald's for God's sakes... Just do it! "Of course I can do it."

~:~

"Hey Mike, Devlin wants to see you."

Vaughn rolled his eyes. "God, he probably wants to know when I can turn in my paperwork. God Eric, I should be out there! I should be.. be... well, I'm not sure exactly what but I know that there is a better way to live my life and honor my father's than sitting behind a desk every day."

Eric nodded sympathetically as he always did when this subject came up. "I know man. But hey, your time will come. You know they want you. They're just waiting for Firdaus to retire. You're the best of us, Mike. And they know it."

Michael grinned, at Eric, shaking his head. "You're such an ass-licker you know that?"

"A "leche-cou." Eric smiled cheekily.

"Someone's been reading "500 naughty French phrases" haven't they?"

"Yeah well... someone's going to be late to their meeting with Devlin."

Michael jumped up, grabbing the three files that lay on his desk and nearly ran down the hall. "Thanks, man!"

Eric grinned, turning and walking back to his desk. You're welcome.

Michael opened the door hastily and readjusted his tie, reddening as he watched Devlin watching him. "I'm sorry I'm late, sir."

"That's quite all right Agent Vaughn. Please take a seat."

He did so, sliding the files over to him while he sat. "Here are the files on McKinnis, sir."

"Thank you Agent Vaughn. Let me start off by telling you that your work here is excellent, thought through... and overall very impressive. I've also been keeping track of your field training. You still go to the firing cage every week."

Michael smiled. "It took be a hell of a while to be able to hit the guys' chest, sir. I didn't want to get rusty."

"I see. Anyway, I've heard nothing but good reports about y-"

"Sir... don't think that I'm being rude but that's just what I wanted to talk to you about. I want to be out in the field. I want to go out and come home at whatever time on whatever day knowing that I've done something good for this country. I know that paperwork and filing is prestigious and important in its own right but sir, I can be out there. I should be out there. I know that you're-we're all waiting for Firdaus to retire... or that what I hear anyway, but I don't understand why we have to. I just... I just don't."

Michael looked into the other man's face.

There was absolutely no reaction.

Well, there's my go at it, anyway.

"Are you quite through, Agent Vaughn?"

"Umm... yes. Yes, I think that that about covers it."

"All right. As I was saying, I have heard nothing but good reports about you and it is for this reason that I have decided to give you an assignment."

Shock was registered throughout Michael Vaughn's face. "Are you serious sir?"

Devlin's eyebrows raised. "Actually no, Agent Vaughn. I was lying just to toy with your emotions."

Vaughn laughed weakly. "That was very good sir... that deadpan was... excellent." He flushed, hearing his suddenly childish voice in his head. God... could he get any more juvenile.

"Thank you Agent Vaughn. Anyway, as I was saying, you will be going undercover as Adam Keeley and you are posing as an up and coming young lawyer at Barnard and King."

"The law firm?"

"That would be why you would be posing as a up and coming young lawyer."

Oh. Right.

tbc...

more?

I know that this chapter was kinda boring too because it's still all exposition and I apologize. I feel a little uncomfortable writing this genre even though I love writing it... I'm just so used to writing the angst that writing something as AU and OOC as this is kinda jarring ;)

I hope that you guys don't mind that the characters were a little ... Out of character. I apologize~ it had to be tweaked though.

Let me know what you think/thought!

-Jenn

Author: Jenn
Rating: PG-PG13?
Summary: AU~ syd and vaughn meet in a totally different way

Chapter 2

Lily Stevens walked down the hallway, balancing a few pieces of paper between her chin and chest as her fingers worked to put her hair in a high ponytail. Clean-faced and clad in a striped shirt and a pair of clean jeans, she was the fresh new face of Barnard and King.

"So what exactly am I supposed to be doing?" Sydney looked down at her new name, her new past... which would now become her present.

"Barnard and King is a suspect in one of our cases. It's a really simple one but one where we have to be patient-"

"-which is why you chose me. It's one where I don't have to do anything, I'm expendable, and it'll actually accomplish something."

The man smirked. "Yes."

She had no idea that she was playing an integral part in a heavily-funded, full-scale CIA experiment.

She walked up to the receptionnist, smiling. "Hi, I'm the new intern for Barnard and King. Lily Stevens. I'm just wondering where I should be right now."

The receptionnist didn't smile. "Yes. Mr. Keeley is expecting you. Twelfth floor, three to the right. Can you find it?"

"Sure."

"You'll be working generally on the twelfth floor which is where we suspect most of this business is going on-"

"What 'business' is this? What am I looking for?"

The man's brow furrowed, an action that it was obviously used to executing considering the deep creases in his forehead.

"What have you heard about someone named Rambaldi?"

She knocked on the door.

"Come in." She walked into the office, taking in the room- it's structure, it's tone... and the man sitting behind the desk. He's a lot younger than I thought he would be. She smiled, handing him the papers.

"Hi, I'm Lily Steven-"

"-Right, the new intern. You're..."

She waited.

"... a lot younger than I thought you would be."

"I could say the same for you."

"I suppose."

"But I won't."

He smiled, a quick flash of teeth that was all that was needed to make her realize just how handsome he was. "Thanks. I get enough of that here."

"Who the hell is he?"

"He lived in the 16th century, was the chief architecht for the Pope until he was executed for heresy."

She shot the man a look. "And Rambaldi affects this how?"

She smiled back. "I'm sure."

Stuck out her hand.

He took it, flushing a little.

"Am I supposed to believe that?"

"I care very little for what you believe, actually. I'm here to tell you what the CIA wants. And you're supposed to get it."

She sat back down and shut up.

"You're going to be the new intern for Adam Keeley, who will be new himself. This will be advantageous for you because he'll be feeling the place out himself."

He handed her the specs on Adam Keeley.

Hmm... cute.

"That should contain all the information we need. Once we get more situated, we'll get you deeper so that you can intercept the artifacts as they come through."

She flipped through the pages, memorizing herself, him, what, who, where, why, when.

"Okay."

-------

"They like eachother."

The man looked up from his notes, jarred from the voice of the other agent. "Good. The fact that they're compatible will make the test even more efficient."

Agent Kelly shook her head, pointing at the screen. "No. I mean they like each other."

The man looked at the screen quizzically. "They just met. What are you talking about?"

"Trust me."

"Well then... if it's true, I suppose it will only add another dimension to the test. If they do indeed become emotionally invested, it will make it harder for them to see the truth."

"And when they find out everything? What's the plan then? Just jump out and say "Surprise, you passed!"?"

"Well... something like that I suppose."

There was a silence.

The man went back to his notes.

"She's doing well."

"She's a genius. I should hope that she's doing well."

"He's doing well too."

The man scribbled some more. "Not surprising."

"This has the option of going horribly wrong you know."

The man looked at the screen again, watched as Agent Bristow sat at her desk, rifling through papers. Watched as Michael Vaughn sat hunched over encoded CIA files.

"Oh... I don't know."

tbc...

more?

Haha, okay, I got so confused as to where I wanted to go with this and I couldn't figure it out so I just did what I always do when I'm in this quandry: I just started writing whatever I felt like writing without pre-writing.

And this is what came out so sorry if it was screwed up... but the story is officially launched AAANNNDDDD even if it turns out that I have no idea what I'm doing doing until then, i have the end figured out~! :jumpy:

thanks all!!!! (can't believe i'm on page 7 already... you guys ROCK!)

-jenn :hug:

Back