Sci-Fi The Titan (2018)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: The Titan

Tagline: Evolve or die

Genre: Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Lennart Ruff

Cast: Sam Worthington, Taylor Schilling, Tom Wilkinson, Agyness Deyn, Nathalie Emmanuel, Corey Johnson, Aleksandar Jovanović, Steven Cree, Diego Boneta, Noah Jupe, Naomi Battrick, Aaron Heffernan, Alex Lanipekun, Nathalie Poza, Francesc Garrido, Kyle Soller, Ben Aldridge, Gustavo Salmerón, Noemi Parpaiola, Megan Rowland, Andrés González Cano, Samuel González Cano

Release: 2018-03-30

Runtime: 97

Plot: On a bleak future Earth, a soldier endures a radical genetic transformation to save humanity. But his wife fears he's becoming more creature than man.
The Titan (2018)

A little while ago I was in a pretty lengthy discussion at another forum about over-population and different ways of culling.

We were trying to work out all the different ways our species might be culled, both lethal and non-lethal. One of the non-lethal methods was to terraform another planet or moon so we could move there. That lead to a discussion on what it would realistically take to actually do it.

I watched this film last night. Its premise struck me as a possibility I never thought of. Instead of changing (terraforming) a planet, why not change our species thru genetic modification so that we can survive there without much terraforming. Perhaps a similar change to make humans compatible with long duration space trips or habitats.

See, up until I watched this film, I always looked at the problem as us needing to create habitats so we could go there, do that. The film kinda opened a never considered door for me.

The film also spotlights the question: "If we change ourselves to live on another world or in space,
Will we still be human?" "Is our humanity tied to our physiology and this planet?"

Terraforming is science theory, no practical applications have ever been attempted. It would require lots of money, lots of new science and lots of time.

Genetics is a real science. Granted, not as advanced as it would need to be to create alterations of such magnitude but we are closer to that reality than terraforming.

Its not the first time science fiction has presented genetic mutation for adaptability, it was the first time I ever considered it plausible to our over-population problem.

genetic mod really creeps me out
Yeah, it was kinda creepy watching him change.
Some of his abilities were awesome tho.
One dude throws his wife out a window and she lands on a brick wall and you tell she's dead, even without a dialog call out.
A lot of the best parts of this film have no dialog but its very deep meaning thru imagery.
The ending was kinda corny, on Titan.
Reminded me of the end of the Matrix first movie.

I haven't seen this one yet but from the earlier trailers I kind of got a 'reverse Species' vibe from it. I'm backlogged watching stuff; this one is in the queue though.

stuff like anime
I've watched some anime. Most of it irritates me tho.
I like Appleseed (is that anime?).
I think it is the repeating scene art that puts me off. That and the loudness.
My kids watched a lot of anime, still do.
I have quite a few animated movies I like but I wouldn't really call them anime.
Species was the tale manipulating DNA with an alien origin, Titan is a tale of manipulating DNA with an alien destination.
Okay, I now understand the association you are making. However, for me, Species was not on my mind while watching it. Six-Million Dollar Man was. The Titan 'segment' was not a significant part of the film, overall. It was more about the changes made to his body and how everyone coped with those changes.
Is your humanity bound to your physical body or is it something more?

Is your humanity bound to your physical body or is it something more?
Giving this a bit more thought I find there are a lot of science fiction stories that explore this.
Guild Navigators in Dune, Transcendence's mind uploading, even many of the short stories explored in the original Outer Limits.

Reality is entering a time where our science and technology could one day change us from baseline human to specialized species able to live underwater, in space or on a planet which would kill normal humans.
When we are able to change our bodies, will we sacrifice our humanity?

The X-Men concept looks at how humanity can be preserved when the animal is granted super-human abilities.
It exemplifies a struggle for balance but would reality change the struggle? What force, mandate, drive, keeps humanity in humans? Is it a choice or something more. Do we have humanity because of our body's limitations? Is humanity a social conformity of like, same, kind forced by our unity as a species?
If species unity is broken, will humanity fade?