Sci-Fi The Twilight Zone

Title: The Twilight Zone

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Drama

First aired: 1985-09-27

Creator: Rod Serling

Cast: Robin Ward

Overview: This 1980s revival of the classic sci-fi series features a similar style to the original anthology series. Each episode tells a tale (sometimes two or three) rooted in horror or suspense, often with a surprising twist at the end. Episodes usually feature elements of drama and comedy.
The Twilight Zone

Growing up with Shows Like "Friday the 13th, The Series" (80's) and "Tales from the Darkside (80's) I was instantly hooked on these original sci-fi shows. One however stood out just like Tales from the Darkside Did. That was "The Twilight Zone" These were the ones from the late 80's and to me were amazing. However over the last decade or so, I have not seen them in re-runs or marathon play. Sadly not many remember them either. Well finally they have arrived on DVD. The First Season (1985 - 1986) has just been released in the US.

Here is the link to AMAZON for The Twilight Zone DVD Season 1

Amazon.com: The Twilight Zone: Season 1 (1985 - 1989): Season Hubley, Nicolas Surovy, Scott Grimes, Nancy Kyes, Dee Wallace, Julie Carmen, Peter Land, Harvey Vernon, Julie Payne, Scott Paulin, James Whitmore Jr., Robert Swan, Alan Smithee, Allan Arkush, Ben Bolt, Bill Norton, Bradford May, Bruce Bilson, Claudia Weill, David Steinberg: Movies & TV

Enjoy!

Mayday Malone, welcome to Cool SciFi! :welcome:

Thanks for letting us know about TZ coming out on DVD. I was a huge fan of the original series along with stuff like Night Gallery and the Outer Limits.

First-time director Michael Brandt will turn a classic episode of The Twilight Zone by Richard Matheson into a feature length film called Countdown for Summit Entertainment. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film "revolves around a group of astronauts who land on a planet only to find a crashed spaceship and corpses that eerily resemble their own. They then must piece together where they are and whether they might in fact already be dead."

The original episode was entitled Death Ship, and was written by regular TZ writer Richard Matheson, who based it on his own previously published short story. He also wrote the novel I Am Legend.

THR also says that Brandt is rewriting the screenplay with his writing partner Derek Haas and that it is based on an earlier screenplay by Stephen Gregg and Scott Burn. Brandt and Haas have collaborated on such movies as 3:10 to Yuma and 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Production could begin as early as late summer, and is expected to cost in the $30 million range.

Do Twilight Zone fans feel any strong feelings about this? I'm still on the fence, myself. On the one hand, you could get worse source material. On the other hand, Hollywood has a tendency to ruin clever ideas. On a third hand, 3:10 to Yuma was a fantastic remake, so maybe Brandt and Haas can be trusted to spruce up 1950s-60s material without spoiling what made it work in the first place. Or did the original episode work? I've never seen it. Opinions needed.

(Via Filmwad, by David Morgan)

Considering the expansive stories told in The Twilight Zone anthology I am surprised that we have not seen more of this already.

i think it will be an awesome movie. i remember the episode 'death ship'. of course i was an tz devotee' , i watched them all at least 10 times each. to make this ep into a full length movie will be a shining star for the twilight zone franchise.

"To serve man" is wonderfully disturbing, and probably my favorite. I do like them all. The Burgess Meridith (sp) about the avid reader & the broken glasses is second.
I guess I enjoy dark endings since so many other stories end in beating long odds to be winner/happy/get the girl yada yada.

I also like the Outer Limits for the same reasons. (Second making of it primarily).
Sometimes your best efforts/decisions/intentions are less than enough, or flat wrong.

We can't all be winners, and this needs to be understood to avoid depression. It is good to set your sights high, but realize that settling for less is not defeat, only dying in attempting to be the best without seeing the top of your "curve"...is.

quack quack, yada yada

Looks like CBS may be doing another run of The Twilight Zone. But.. and here's the big "but" part... instead of airing on TV it'll be part of the CBS All Access streaming package, like Star Trek: Discovery. :banghead:

From Deadline.com:

CBS boss Leslie Moonves said during the company’s earnings call with investors today that it is rebooting the iconic TV series The Twilight Zone to stream on CBS All Access, its SVOD service that features the new Star Trek: Discovery.

The streaming service has been ramping up its original series auspices, already airing Season 1 of The Good Wife spinoff The Good Fight starring Christine Baranski. Moonves said CBS was aiming for the same kind of leveraging of classic TV as Star Trek: Discovery, which spurred strong signups when it premiered and has already been renewed for a second season.

He delivered the brief news flash as part of a discussion of the strides made by CBS All Access. He gave no details on the creative team for a new Twilight Zone, or when new episodes would be delivered, though sources indicate that the project is being shepherded by Jordan Peele via his Monkeypaw banner.

CBS All Access already offers the original anthology series created by Rod Serling, which aired from 1959-64 on CBS. It won a pair of Emmys for Serling’s writing, spawned a feature film and a pair of short-lived TV revivals. In 2013, the WGA ranked The Twilight Zone No.3 on its list of 101 Best Written TV Shows of All Time.

The streaming service dominated both the company’s introductory remarks and the questions from analysts. Moonves positioned the Twilight Zone reboot as the latest example of the company’s strategy to produce its own shows and feed an increasing number of them to the streaming service.

“The good news is, the bet is paying off,” he said. Asked about how the company determines the right content for All Access, Moonves said: “The programming kind of needs to be more premium than it would be on CBS. … It needs to be more specialized, needs to stand out.” All Access has drawn an audience that is 20 years younger than the average viewer of CBS, he added.

Netflix’s entry as international distribution partner on Star Trek: Discovery funded a “large part” of that series, Moonves said, admitting it was “expensive.” The notion of an international partner on the show was not addressed on the call.

For CBS, it’s a long game, Moonves said. “There will continue to be a widening gap between the haves and have-nots, and clearly we are on the right side of that divide,” he said.​

LOL, So now, instead of buying channels you are going to be buying shows.
Forward fast a few years (maybe a decade) you will buy only the shows you want.

This makes me think each show will have dedicated commercials included (lowest cost service).

Hulu and Crackle already have dedicated commercials for each show or movie.
One thing I HATE about those sites is that they show the same few commercials
over and over again. Plus, they rarely provide uncut/unedited versions.

A typical movie will have 6 or 8 commercial breaks with 2 or 3 different commercials.
Its not the same product or service providing commercials, its the exact same commercials.

I imagine that after a show season finishes, you will be able to pay for the entire season at once.
They will sell it as a "Sale Price with Substantial Savings" to goad the consumer into thinking they are getting something special and a perceived "Low Price" but you still end up buying something you used to get included in your TV service.

In addition, you might have the option to "buy" channels. Problem is, all the shows you might want to watch will be pay for episode and what you will get will be less than broadcast TV. Any show that is popular, including NEWS shows will be pay to stream.

Looks like CBS may be doing another run of The Twilight Zone. But.. and here's the big "but" part... instead of airing on TV it'll be part of the CBS All Access streaming package, like Star Trek: Discovery. :banghead:

From Deadline.com:

CBS boss Leslie Moonves said during the company’s earnings call with investors today that it is rebooting the iconic TV series The Twilight Zone to stream on CBS All Access, its SVOD service that features the new Star Trek: Discovery.

The streaming service has been ramping up its original series auspices, already airing Season 1 of The Good Wife spinoff The Good Fight starring Christine Baranski. Moonves said CBS was aiming for the same kind of leveraging of classic TV as Star Trek: Discovery, which spurred strong signups when it premiered and has already been renewed for a second season.

He delivered the brief news flash as part of a discussion of the strides made by CBS All Access. He gave no details on the creative team for a new Twilight Zone, or when new episodes would be delivered, though sources indicate that the project is being shepherded by Jordan Peele via his Monkeypaw banner.

CBS All Access already offers the original anthology series created by Rod Serling, which aired from 1959-64 on CBS. It won a pair of Emmys for Serling’s writing, spawned a feature film and a pair of short-lived TV revivals. In 2013, the WGA ranked The Twilight Zone No.3 on its list of 101 Best Written TV Shows of All Time.

The streaming service dominated both the company’s introductory remarks and the questions from analysts. Moonves positioned the Twilight Zone reboot as the latest example of the company’s strategy to produce its own shows and feed an increasing number of them to the streaming service.

“The good news is, the bet is paying off,” he said. Asked about how the company determines the right content for All Access, Moonves said: “The programming kind of needs to be more premium than it would be on CBS. … It needs to be more specialized, needs to stand out.” All Access has drawn an audience that is 20 years younger than the average viewer of CBS, he added.

Netflix’s entry as international distribution partner on Star Trek: Discovery funded a “large part” of that series, Moonves said, admitting it was “expensive.” The notion of an international partner on the show was not addressed on the call.

For CBS, it’s a long game, Moonves said. “There will continue to be a widening gap between the haves and have-nots, and clearly we are on the right side of that divide,” he said.​
Yeup more money for the rich, and the destruction of the middle class......;););)

Back