The Walking Dead

I caught this one but did I miss part of it... what is the cause of the zombie outbreak? What I'm gathering is that they are blaming it on a virus.

And, not to be too cynical, but did the opening premise remind anybody else of 28 Day Later?

I caught this one but did I miss part of it... what is the cause of the zombie outbreak? What I'm gathering is that they are blaming it on a virus.

And, not to be too cynical, but did the opening premise remind anybody else of 28 Day Later?

Ah, no need to be cynical; I thought it reminded me of 28 Days Later also. IIRC, that was done in 2002; the comic book series they based The Walking Dead on was done at about the same time, so if there is a similarity that was likely it. OTOH, the zombie in Dead were of the slow variety while the zombies in 28 Days were the fast ones............. :eek::eek::eek:

walking_dead_banner.jpg

For me, it was a typical Zombie uprising film caused by a virus, the suspense is good, camera direction was excellent and the acting was well done. I believe it will do well, my only concern is that the language, violence and graphic images are very strong for a tv saga, because I know kids will be watching it too. I've run into alot of children in the last two decades that tell me their parents let them watch anything and they always tell me how much they enjoy the killings and scary images in the movies, they remember in great detail.

Yes but its a great opening nonetheless :smiley: and similarities between the two end there.

The reason for the outbreak is never explained. The comic series deals more with how the characters adjust and survive in their new environment and how they change for better or worse over time . So a lot of the time the zombies fade into the background.

As a fan of the comic series from the beginning I have to say I was relieved when I saw how good the first episode was :D. Im up to episode 3 now and I am still happy

I watched the first 3 episodes and felt a bit funny really. It was like it had been done before, that I was waiting for it to fall to pieces and lose my interest.

Then I remembered I had read a load of the comic books a while back :smiley: Trying to separate it in my head now so those half forgotten memories don't mess with my enjoyment of the series.

It is rather, er, violent :smiley: Get's over the soapy expectations for sure.

News reports indicate that the Frank Darabont has walked out only a few days after promoting season 2 at the San Diego Comic Con. Speculation is rife and most rumours believe it's due to AMC cutting the budget and asking that zombies be heard more than seen and that there be more indoor shots to reduce the cost.

News reports indicate that the Frank Darabont has walked out only a few days after promoting season 2 at the San Diego Comic Con. Speculation is rife and most rumours believe it's due to AMC cutting the budget and asking that zombies be heard more than seen and that there be more indoor shots to reduce the cost.
Darabont was actually fired at least according to The Hollywood Reporter! :eek:

Via: ‘The Walking Dead’: What Really Happened to Fired Showrunner Frank Darabont

The cast is "scared," the crew is crushed after Darabont is canned while working to fix an episode that a director turned in with unusable footage.

When Frank Darabont appeared on a Comic-Con panel July 22 to promote The Walking Dead, he didn't realize he was a dead man walking. Neither did the cast and crew. Everyone was shocked when news broke three days later that AMC had taken the extraordinary step of firing Darabont from the network's biggest ratings hit.

In hot, sticky Atlanta, where production on the second season had been under way since June, the cast was summoned to a lunch meeting with AMC vp scripted programming Ben Davis, who confirmed that Darabont was out. The crew was briefed separately. One insider says those gathered were stunned at "the duplicity of AMC" for having used Darabont to promote the show at Comic-Con before firing him. And they were angry about the lack of explanation; they were simply told, cryptically, "This isn't working." Above all, they were disheartened. "It's a crushing blow," says the insider. "Even when you have a hit, they can still destroy you."

Yes, I also worry how Darabont's departure from the show will affect the show's quality. But it sounds like if AMC is into budget cut mode, the quality of The Walking Dead will be affected anyway. I will most certainly continue to watch this show, unless AMC gives me a reason not to do so. My wife and I love this show! I enjoy zombie movies tremendously, but what I really like about this show is that it is extremely character driven. The advantage of a great TV show like this is that we have time to get to know the main characters and even the secondary characters to some extent before the end up on the zombie menu! Cheers to The Walking Dead and here's to hoping that the show's writers and production staff can manage to keep that show excellent.

Back