The Web Not the Death of Language

Robby

Helper Bot
Linguists fear that instant messaging and e-mail are responsible for language deteriorating. Others find the medium allows more people to write and report college students are more articulate than expected. By Kristen Philipkoski.

[Full article @ Wired]

Something this site hasn't suffered from yet.

Using forums with full QWERTY keyboards yet using txt speak or l33t nonsense, these people just need a slap! There is no excuse for not being comprehensive in your postings, checking your spelling, grammar and spacing in your posts.

What distinguishes your own posts from the inadequate postings we see elsewhere? Do you read the subject and initial posting, the responses from other people, then contribute in context adding ideas of your own. Weblinks, hosted images (scanned, shot and constructed) text columns from publications offering the authors views on the subject.

Sharing information only increases your knowledge and understanding within your fields. Providing you aren't going to turn into a bore in obscure fields of no interest to anyone but 0.1% of the population, what harm can it do you :smiley:

Mr Destructo said:
Using forums with full QWERTY keyboards yet using txt speak or l33t nonsense, these people just need a slap! There is no excuse for not being comprehensive in your postings, checking your spelling, grammar and spacing in your posts.
That's one of my pet peeves as well. I may not have paid too much attention to my high school English lessons but if a person can't even communicate in basic sentences then they need to go back to school.

This is the main reason I don't like to go into chatrooms. Most of the time Who knows what they are talking about.

Back