Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: The Witcher

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Drama, Action & Adventure

First aired: 2019-12-20

Creator: Lauren Schmidt Hissrich

Cast: Henry Cavill, Freya Allan, Anya Chalotra, Mimi Ndiweni

Overview: Geralt of Rivia, a mutated monster-hunter for hire, journeys toward his destiny in a turbulent world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.
The Witcher (Netflix)

True confession time: I've never seen Game of Thrones, not even a single episode. Nor I have read any of the books. :eek: Why confess that? Because when somebody said that The Witcher is Netflix's answer to HBO's Game of Thrones, the reference was lost on me. Then they said that it's "You know, The Witcher like from the X-Box games." Um, nope, haven't played any of them.. "What about The Witcher books?" Um.... no. 😳

So it was with absolutely no prenotion of what to expect that I binge watched season 1 of The Witcher on Netflix. In short, I liked it. :D

Played by Henry Cavill (Superman), Geralt of Rivia is a "Witcher", a human male who was transformed and trained as a child into a warrior of monsters and is able to wield minor magic, who finds himself begrudgingly part of a battle to fight off the invading Nilfgaard who are quickly conquering all of the kingdoms. Along the way he finds out that perhaps travelling the world alone isn't what he really wants.

S1 is comprised of 8 episodes, each about an hour (plus or minus a few minutes), and is presented through a series of time jumps that ultimately have all of the characters converging together. The time jumps can be a bit confusing at time as there are no clear indicators that what you're watching is the present or the past. It also does not help that nearly all of the main characters are infused with magic that apparently imbues them with slow aging so these characters look exactly the same in the past and in the present even though, in some cases, several decades have passed. One scene a main character is witnessing the death of a secondary character and, lo & behold, a few scene cuts later the same main character looks exactly the same while interacting with the same secondary character who is very much alive.

The imagery is dark, expansive, and well done with seamless special effects for the creatures; no guys in rubber suits with the Netflix budget. :LOL: My only complaint would be that the topless scenes are totally gratuitous. They don't really add anything to the scenes and so between them & some of the story line elements it ends up being a series that Mrs. Kevin wouldn't want to watch which is a shame because it's an immersive fantasy series that otherwise she'd likely watch with me.

Season 2 coming!
1625880614670.png

Well, this is unexpected. Cavill won't be back for S4. He'll be around for S3 but it's already been announced that he is leaving the role in S4 in with the character being recast with Liam Hemsworth. Cavill likely had a scheduling conflict since he is returning as Superman in the DCEU.

Cavill likely had a scheduling conflict since he is returning as Superman in the DCEU.
Cavill confirmed that he would not be reprising the role of Superman in a statement shared on Instagram. “It's sad news, everyone. I will, after all, not be returning as Superman.
Dec 15, 2022
The reason for the recasting is that filmmaker James Gunn and producer Peter Safran are looking for a younger Superman in their burgeoning DC Universe. So Cavill, who had already starred in a Superman origin story ('Man of Steel') had to go.
Dec 17, 2022

Israeli actress Gal Gadot is no longer expected to put on the Wonder Woman costume, media reported this week, as uncertainty looms over the future of the DC franchise's superhero movies.
Jan 7, 2023

Warner Bros. isn't developing Justice League 2. Yes, we know, this whole article is about the sequel, but unfortunately, the studio isn't interested in continuing the story and recently announced (in July 2022) it has no plans to continue the Snyderverse.
Dec 9, 2022

Why did Cavill leave The Witcher?
Allegations say he was fired from The Witcher for toxic behaviour.
Dec 25, 2022

Just a day after bidding farewell to Clark Kent and the “Superman” movies, actor Henry Cavill has found his next gig. The former “Witcher” lead will star in an upcoming “Warhammer 40,000” TV series for Amazon's Prime Video.
Dec 16, 2022

Cavill's name has been attached to Marvel Studios in recent months, with a report suggesting that he was among seven huge signings set to appear in the MCU in the future.
Dec 17, 2022

Cavill is confirmed to be appearing in the upcoming film The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Details about the project are pretty scarce, as he was only officially cast in October 2022. However, Cavill and Eiza González are reportedly set to play the leads in the film.
Dec 19, 2022