Season 4 The worst directing ever...

Okay, it was just highly irritating to watch the scene weeble wobble all over the place and randomly zoom in a bit and out, and whoooaa now we're over here, and let's zoom in again, no let's zoom out, and now lets float around over here....

Anyone else a bit irritated with it? It took me out of the scene, I just couldn't follow because I was so utterly confused with the choice on the use of a handicam.

I feel exactly the same. I have absolutely no idea about what Sloane was talking because the camera have those stranges moves..

Yep, same here. I had no idea what they were talking about because I was screaming "STOP" in my head. I wonder if the person who filmed this, also does the fight scenes?

yendys47 said:
hmmm...I didn't notice...I'll have to go back and look again :lol:
[post="1180720"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I felt like I wanted to reach out into the TV grab the camera guy shake him up a bit and tell him to friggin stop the shaking . Man that person needs to cut out some coffee. Argh I hated that it also looked like it wanted to happen at the end but it didn't it was slight compared to the board room scence.

I liked it in the briefing room because it was something different, new, fresh.

As for the fight scenes UG! I mean seriously, they need to just keep the camera STILL during fighting so that we can see what's actually FRICKIN GOING ON! lol

Someone was saying they liked it because it's new and fresh. Okay, that's cool.

But it's only new and fresh for Alias. Doesn't 24 do that for their show? NYPD Blue for theirs?

I like Alias for it's inventiveness but the camera directions in the "boardroom" was ridiculous. I felt like I was watching an amateur indy film whose cameraman was, as someone else put it, on way too much coffee.

Also, what's with Sloane's ugly glasses? They spend so much on the awesome special effects you'd think the budget could call for better spectacles! LOL.

I didn't really notice it soo much in the board room but in the airplane at the end...when they try to zoom in on the rings...there was some major shaking.

yendys47 said:
hmmm...I didn't notice...I'll have to go back and look again :lol:
[post="1180720"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Me either. I'm thinking I need to start paying better attention to things. :rolleyes: :lol:

The directing was irritating, they kept zooming in and out, I was well annoyed, apart from that one scene the rest of the directing was good! :smiley:

yah the rest of the episode was fine, but the boardroom scenes were a bit crazy. my reaction wasn't as extreme as many of yours, but i did notice it just wasn't it's normal cool self in the boardroom.

boyscout4747 said:
As for the fight scenes UG! I mean seriously, they need to just keep the camera STILL during fighting so that we can see what's actually FRICKIN GOING ON! lol
[post="1180813"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Having the camera appear to move rapidly during fight scenes to give the illusion that the fight is sporadic but in fact its quite the opposite. The actors hardly touch each other let alone land a punch, but to make it appear that they do and that their actions are faster than in reality, you have chopping editing and such.

I did notice the trembling movement of the camera during the boardroom scene. An odd scene to use the handicam, especially when the previous boardroom scenes haven't been directed like that.

hmmm ust go watch this again missed it

i hted the closed upo vaughn in the bathroom -it was weird

it was suppose to be like that ... since it was a very fast-paced scene ... having Sloane briefing everybody and given out a lot of information to those involved ... ;)

JJ wanted the scene to be like that, if not he would have gone and change it himself ... but he let it as it was, because it was suppose to be shown like that ... it was weird, but as you watch it, concentrate on what Sloane is telling, and having everybody saying things, than having new info coming out ... so, yeah ... it was a fast-paced scene that needed to be done that way ...

ETA: if you saw "lost" last night, you would have noticed that the scene between Sayid and Danielle, in the jungle, when they were talking about the others, nadia and all ... the camera did the same thing ... (y)

Someone was saying they liked it because it's new and fresh. Okay, that's cool.

But it's only new and fresh for Alias. Doesn't 24 do that for their show? NYPD Blue for theirs?

I like Alias for it's inventiveness but the camera directions in the "boardroom" was ridiculous. I felt like I was watching an amateur indy film whose cameraman was, as someone else put it, on way too much coffee.

Also, what's with Sloane's ugly glasses? They spend so much on the awesome special effects you'd think the budget could call for better spectacles! LOL.

Yes 24 and NYPD Blue do it. But this time, it brought a whole new sense of urgency and tension to the boardroom. I mean, these briefings aren't supposed to be quiet and calm and steady. They are supposed to be twisty, tense, almost choppy. (The same thing happened to The Bourne Supremacy, which I loved. It adds a whole new world of tension to the movie)

OMG I SO AGREE I hate the glasses! Please they are like YELLOW and round and look TERRIBLE!!!

Having the camera appear to move rapidly during fight scenes to give the illusion that the fight is sporadic but in fact its quite the opposite. The actors hardly touch each other let alone land a punch, but to make it appear that they do and that their actions are faster than in reality, you have chopping editing and such.
It makes no difference. If we can't see what's going on, how exciting is that? Jackie Chan and The Matrix movies are exciting, WHY? Because you can see the cool moves going on and it all turns out amazing. I know ALIAS isn't going to do stuff like that because heck, it would take forever, but DO NOT cut as much! I think that the only respectable fight scenes in ALIAS were the Pilot Garage Sequence, the fight in "Prelude" from Season 3, and the plane fight in "Phase One". Why? Because they minimalized the "cutting" from camera to camera. By doing this, we get a better understanding of the moves and can get more into it. Plus, it's still exciting, in a more clear way.

Plus, what good are the choreographers if they direct a huge fight and never get any credit for it because they camera makes it so that you don't have any idea what's going on?

I'm not complaining that the fighting is bad. It's still intense and spectacular, but there IS room for improvement

I would have enjoyed the camera direction if it weren't overdone. This isn't the first time Alias has tried it. It was done in The Telling, I believe, but much more successful in that episode. It makes the scene more dramatic. But in this episode, it just made me seasick.

Back