Theatrical Acting

I forgot about my less glamourous roles in health info skits we did in school....well I was always the person with the "problem".....I was:

-A leader in a group of drunk, agressive girls, drinking underage.
-A suicidal person.
-A person overcoming anorexia nervosia.

Good thing we never did a play on the abuse/rape unit....god only knows what would have happened.

And recently we did a spin off on "A Night to Remember" and I was Mrs. Washington Dodge. I got to be a hoity- toidy "important" person who thought getting on a life boat was hard work! It was interesting though.

lol! i know what you mean, i was in my theatre arts class and i got all the really "different" roles!
i was a in a pyshco ward in "woman in a monkey cage", i was a cutter in another one, then in a comedy skit i was a regular woman in the airport where everything went wrong(it was hilarous! i got so frustrated though becuase some of the things that i had to do were just out there, like for being checked for weapons, they had me stand in weird positions and hold it then take off my shoes and stuff!) and in another one i was an overly dramatic poet(that was so much fun, i wore all black and carried a guitar with me!)
weird roles are always so much fun!
i was also an alien, the dialect was fun!LMAO!

yeah. my school is just getting off the ground and so the department is just starting. I was in a whole bunch of plays in earlier years (little women, rumplestiltskin, a little princess, etc) then fiddler on the roof (yuck! :smiley:) then next year we're hopefully doing a revue of our favorite musicals tied in in another musical we're writing.

:D I LOVE to act! and sing! and dance! yaaay!

:D dbrizz

I'm actually kinda a bigger fan of screen/film then stage but...:smiley: it's all good!

I wish my school put more into the drama dept. They seam to just concentrate with sports and sometimes it doesn't seem fair. :angry: Some of the plays my school picks are just so weird

i was just recently frenchie in my high school musical of grease that was so much fun and every other year i would perform with my ballet school and just dance what the teacher taught us.

congrats! frenchie is such a great role! so much fun! they did grease at my school i think a year before i was in the high school!
and i just had my dance recitals! i have nationals pretty soon!

When you first started out in high school (not to sure about the American school system) the younger you were the less chance of getting a role you had????? Is that the way it is in most places??

unfortunatly thats the way it is here too! but i was an odd case made it my freshman year and not the next!

so basically it all depends on your relationship to the director(do you know him before...well that how it is with us too...yah tell me about it. GRRR!) senoirity, and the parts available!

are you trying out next year?! if so GOOD LUCK!

I tried out in my last year of Elementary School but I didn't get any parts -fair enough, (I didn't really mind as well after what the other girls told me about the guy who wrote the musical and how he liked to shout at them a lot) Umm, anyway, I got put in Sound and Lighting (am I really that bad??) Lol, :D no don't worry I felt honoured to be picked for Sound and Lighting cos everyone wanted it! :D :D

Don't think I'll try out again (too many good people) but with knowing the the director before I agree. Cos I got a small part in a the drama festival cos she knew me from a previous competition. :D :D

sound and lighting is wonderful! it adds soo much to the show! and yes knowing the director has its advantages..if you want to try out, i say try out! who cares who else is there, try out and do your best! you might suprise yourself!

My favorite part was an insane locksmith for little red riding hood (i got granny out of the closet LMAO) This was one of my less glamorous rolls lol...but it was definitely the most fun!

My most recent roll was Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ for the High School. I tried out for the scarecrow, but they made me Dorothy...I didn't like being Dorothy...I don't like lead rolls...I would have been much happier with the scarecrow :smiley:

This summer I think I'm gonna do Oklahoma...I want to be Ado Annie or (if i can) Will i dont think they'll let me be a guy though -_-

we did oklahoma last year, i was in chorus but i was the best chorus girl i could be(i made up my own little role and was the kid of the town! it was soo much fun!)
and i would love to do leads but my director doesnt like me much, we might do Cinderella next year and i would love to be cinderella, of course, but a stepsister role would be soo omuch fun!

Ya I've done Oklahoma too and was a chorus...but I had a bunch of small things to do in it because the lady thought I was really cute...so she made me do a bunch of stuff in front lol...This time I wanna be Ado...she cracks me up! :lol:

A STEPSISTER IN CINDERELLA WOULD BE THE BEST ROLL EVER!!! OMG!! I've always wanted to do that! I saw it at this theater in Spokane 2 years ago and then I just recently saw it again and i so wanna be a stepsister! I hope we do Cinderella sometime...I love querky characters like them....those are what I'm best at hehe :smiley:!

I don't really act... in my school I think all of the plays performed are student written (and I've heard they're awful), so I don't really want to take drama. I take music instead. :D But I do my volunteer work at Kids on the Block - that's a thing where you use puppets to help send out messages about stuff to kids. It's kind of like performing. :P We went to a school this year and did a play on autism, and I learned later that there were seven kids with autism at that school. :eek:

yesterday a little kid came up to me with her parents. they were like "we know you! you were ramona!" from this play i was in. i was like... yea... and my friend was sitting there watching and she's thinking... do you know them? no! i don't!

well, i was in drama in middle school for part of the year, but i didnt really like that they only did musicals...i cant sing for felgercarb, and i think musicials are really boring, so i transfered out of that class...

during the 3 years i was there though, they did Guys And Dolls, Wizard of Oz, and Anything Goes

I couldn't do the community theatre play this summer because I'm going on vacation on several of the show days! :( The play is "South Pacific" I really want to go see it though. I wish I could have done it though....

BTW-has anyone ever been in a play and then gone and seen someone else perform it and then started to compare?

I was in "Annie" in 2001 and recently a different group did it in a close-by town and I enjoyed seeing it, but I couldn't help but compare it to my Annie. (The girl who played Annie, a friend of mine, was in both-so I really couldn't compare 'Annie's ;) ) But is it just me or are there others out there like me?

i really want to be on broadway. i've seen 13 broadway plays and i've grown up around it. my voice has been compared to ethel merman's (gypsy, annie get your gun, etc.) but i just don't know! i've been in 4 plays and this year i'll defentliy been in more but, AHHHHH!

i've been in chours/choir at my school and we did a christmas concert and we sang like the classical stuff and i liked it even though it was in all different languages! :D and then we did one at the end of the school year and we did grease with a little bit of chorography. it was REALLY fun!!! im LOVE singing and for my church we did a play called jonny lingo (ya go jonny lingo for the mormons!!lol hahahahha) i was a cow and i walked across the stage and in a very monatone vioce i said "MOO SAID THE COW." i like to be funny but i don't want to be in drama cuz there are really WIERD people in that class and it isn't very good. i don't know how to do play for my town and stuff i guess i should look around!!

lauren vartab :surf:

lol i get to go watch a rerun of alias now yaay!!!

Back