Their Little Princess

I'm back!!!! :P

Here's the new story. Hope you enjoy. Next update should be on Monday.

Have a great weekend.

:smiley:

CJ

Their Little Princess

Summary:

After a devastating heartbreak, Dr. Sydney Bristow had given up all hope of family and happiness. Then single father Michael Vaughn breached her lonely experience with magnetic virility that was hard to resist. His charming smiles and glances drew her like a moth to a flame, and watching Michael cradle his infant daughter had her yearning for what she’d been missing from her life. But Sydney could never let down her defenses, especially since she harbored a secret that she’d risk all to hide. Nonetheless, she wished that Michael’s little princess was their little princess, and that she could call father and daughter her own…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 below
Chapter 2
Chapters 3 & 4
Chapter 5
Chapters 6 & 7
Chapters 8 & 9

~Part 1~

“You’re going to tell me that I’m crazy, “Michael Vaughn said as he paced the length of his best friend’s office.

“Maybe I am. Maybe I’ve been working too hard, or maybe it’s because I’m going to be forty in three years. I don’t know why I have to do this, I just know that I do.”

He paused in the center of the office and stared at his friend, Eric Weiss, who sat behind his large wooden desk.

“You’re not saying anything, “Vaughn told him. “Don’t you want to talk me out of this?”

Weiss gave an easy, familiar smile. “I’ve got two children, and another one on the way. Who am I to advise anyone against fatherhood? You might find that you like it.”

Vaughn nodded once, then collapsed into the leather chair opposite Weiss’s.

“Fatherhood, “he muttered under his breath. “I am crazy. What do I know about being a father?”

“You’re a great uncle, if that helps. My kids adore you. All kids adore you. For that matter, women seem to find you irresistible. I’ll bet that puppies and kittens follow you around, too.”

Vaughn didn’t have to glance at Weiss’s face to know that he was kidding him.

“This is serious, “he said. “I have to make a decision.”

“I know you do, and I’ll give you whatever information you want, it’s just… “Weiss shrugged.

“I can help it, Mike. For years you made fun of my boring married life, all the while being the carefree bachelor. You’ve gone through girlfriends like most guys go through a six-pack of beer over Super Bowl weekend. You gave it a good race, but someone finally caught you.”

“So, what you’re saying is that I’m due.” Vaughn didn’t’t like the sound of that, but he wasn’t sure his friend was wrong. He’d avoided paying for his lifestyle for a long time. But the next twenty-four hours, that was all going to change.

“I’m pointing out that it’s take you a long time to come to the place where you have to make some difficult choices, “Weiss said. “Most men have already gone through this by the time they’re your age.”

Vaughn leaned back in his chair. He knew Weiss was right…. about a lot of things. What his best friend wasn’t saying was that Vaughn had occasionally needed to fall on his butt before life or circumstances or whatever got his attention. Well, he was paying attention now. The problem was what to do?

“I don’t know how to be a good father,” Vaughn said as the knot in his stomach went from the size of a baseball to that of a basketball. He felt as if he’d taken a tumble from one of his high-rises and while the fall hadn’t killed him, it had sure shaken him up some.

“No one knows anything at the beginning, “Weiss said. “You learn by doing.”

“What if I mess him up? I don’t want my son suffering just because his old man couldn’t get the hang of parenting.”

“He or she needs you to love them and be there. Everything else is negotiable.”

Weiss continued talking, but Vaughn wasn’t listening. His brain had frozen at the sound of a single word. She. Dear God, the baby could be a girl! That would be worse. Based on his messed up personal life, the amount he knew about women wouldn’t’t fill a teaspoon.

“She can’t have a girl, “Vaughn said, interrupting Weiss. “I can’t have a daughter.”

Weiss chuckled. “There’s logic. I hate to remind you about this, Mike, but that decision was made a long time ago. About nine months, to be exact, and the decision was made by you.”

Vaughn swore under his breath. He glanced at the clock. Lauren had called him two hours before to say she was on her way to the hospital. The mother of his unborn child had long since signed the papers giving the baby up for adoption. Lauren expected him to do the same. It was what they’d agreed to do. It was the smart thing to do. It was what nearly everyone had told him to do. But he hadn’t been able to do it. All the logic in the world couldn’t’t make Vaughn sign away a life that was a part of him.

He pushed to his feet and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Weiss asked.

“To the hospital.”

“What are you going to do?”

Vaughn gripped the door handle and glanced back at the only family he’d known. His best friend had always been there for him. This time, Vaughn was on his own.

“Hell if I know, “he said and slammed the door shut behind him.

TBC

Ok, 1) i am super excited you wrote another story. I love your stories.

2) if you are doing PM's, i'd love one. if not, no sweat, I'll find the story.

3) i am really excited for more!

CJ PM ME!!! :D I love that you always seem to include single parenthood in your fics. It's really fun! :smiley:

I love your fics, you know that! :D

Time to party in little Italy (in Toronto). I found the internet again!

~Anja

I'm bored and excited. I was forced by me evil parents to come home (they didn't want me to get killed by the +100,000 people on College). I'm coming home tomorrow and seeing Sam Roberts at Bluesfest and I'm SO excited!!! :woot:

I met him on the 2nd by accident too, in the tiniest town ever by my cottage. In an ice cream shop. I think I'll write that into a fic... but make that the plot line... :hmm:

Here's chapter 2. Will try to send the pms later. Hope you enjoy. The next update will be on Wednesday.

Have a great day and talk to you soon.

:smiley:

CJ

~Part 2~

“Pretty girl, “Sydney Bristow murmured as she stared down at the squirming newborn she held.

“You look so worried, but I promise that we grown-ups know how to take care of you.”

Sandy, one of the obstetrics nurses, stroked the infant’s cheek. “You tell her, Dr. Bristow. But I don’t think it’s going to help. I’ve been watching babies being born for over twenty years and every one of them had that same worried look.”

“It’s our job to reassure them.” Sydney gave “Baby Reed” a last smile, then reluctantly handed her over to Sandy. The competent nurse would take her over to the nursery where, for the next couple of days, she would receive excellent care. As for what would happen after that, who could say. The child was being given up for adoption.

Sydney had long since learned that it wasn’t her place to judge her patients or question their non-medical decisions. Even so she couldn’t help glancing at the weary woman about to be wheeled to her room.

“Are you sure you don’t want to see your daughter?” she asked one last time.

Lauren Reed, a woman who managed to look stunning, even after giving birth, rolled her eyes.

“Get over it, Doc. I know you were hoping that I would get bitten by the maternal bug when the kid popped out, but it’s not gonna happen. I signed the papers a long time ago and I haven’t changed my mind. In less than two weeks, I’m heading to New York and I’m not coming back. I plan to live in the land of movie stars. The last thing I want in my life is some kid messing everything up.”

“I understand, “Sydney said politely, even though she didn’t. Lauren was a grown woman with options. How could she turn her back on her own child?

“I appreciate everything you did, “Lauren told her. “You’re good at this.”

“It’s my job, “Sydney said lightly, then slipped off her gloves. “I’ll be in to check on you in a few hours. Just to make sure everything is fine. But based on the delivery, you’re going to heal quickly.”

Lauren gave a little wave as the nurse wheeled her out of the delivery room. Sydney followed more slowly. She thought about the patients she still had to see that day, and about those who would soon be giving birth. Most of her patients were thrilled to be pregnant and anxiously awaited the birth of their new baby. But occasionally she had one like Lauren…a woman to whom giving birth was an inconvenience.

It wasn’t that she didn’t understand Lauren. In some ways she understood too well. Maybe that’s what got to her. Maybe Lauren’s situation reminded her too much of her own shortcomings.

Knowing that she should head back to her office, Sydney walked toward the elevator. But instead of pushing for the ground floor, she found herself heading over to the nursery. She told herself she just wanted to quickly check on Baby Reed. A complete lie because the pediatrician on duty wouldn’t have finished examining her yet.

Regardless of the reasons, twenty minutes later Sydney stood in front the glass-enclosed nursery. Nearly a dozen babies slept or squirmed in their soft blankets. Pink and blue caps clearly defined gender.

She could see through to the opposite wall where a man stood with his arm around a young woman in a bathrobe. They were both pointing and smiling at a tiny child. The woman wasn’t Sydney’s patient, but she recognized the slightly stunned glow. Their child had been the couple’s first, she thought. As new parents, they were equal parts thrilled and terrified. She knew that over time, love and joy would replace terror, right up until their baby became a teenager, at which point they would want to pull their hair out.

The thought made her smile. She pressed her hand against the glass and studied the tiny infants. She found three that she’d delivered in the past twenty-four hours, then watched as one of the nurses put Baby Reed into her isolette.

“Let it go, “she murmured to herself, knowing there was no point in getting upset or attached. Lauren Reed had made her decision, as was her right. The beautiful baby girl would be given up for adoption. It’s not as if she, Sydney, had done any better.

But I was only seventeen, a voice in her head whispered. Didn’t that make a difference? Sydney wasn’t sure anymore. Maybe she’d never been sure.

TBC

Back