Season 2 They're doing some work . . .

V

verdantheart

Jack provides a counterpoint in “Phase One” (2:13) rather than a main thread of story. Jack enters SD-6 to obtain the security code for the SD cells. When Jack is compromised and calls his daughter in, saying, “Take the surface streets; they’re doing some work on the freeway,” he is letting her know the situation. She must not come in. Sydney knows that her father is in grave danger and she must work quickly or he may die.

Meanwhile, Jack endures torture with an interesting poise. As Geiger attaches the equipment, he mentions that they had met before and describes the situation. And as we revisit Jack as the torment progresses, he wears a tired and haggard expression, but he doesn’t respond to Geiger’s questions. Geiger tells him that his heart can stand only one or two more shocks, but Jack says nothing--he’s probably well aware of his situation. Finally Geiger remarks, “Your daughter is so beautiful. Imagine what I could do to her.” But Jack has ensured her safety. He is satisfied. And silent.

And as he awaits his end, Sydney miraculously appears and saves his life.

Analysis . . .

As described in the Spy family column, Sloane discovered, no doubt from Sark, that the Bristows were double agents. I can only imagine that Sloane harbors a great deal of anger toward the Bristows--particularly Jack. Jack was supposed to be his friend, the one man who pledged personal, undying loyalty to him, whom Sloane believed he had bound for life. To find out that this man had been undermining his every move for perhaps 20 years must have been unbearable. So he was most happy to use the Bristows to get what they both wanted--what the Bristows always wanted, and what Sloane now found expedient--the Alliance out of the way.

But don’t think that this ends things between Sloane and Jack. Do you think that he’s marked the balance sheet paid as far as Jack’s concerned? He probably thinks that death is too easy for Jack, and will probably want to do something to Sydney first, just to hurt Jack in the worst imaginable way.

Jack doesn’t seem to think that things are completely over. “There’s rarely an end to the story,” he says. He doesn’t believe that Sloane “just disappeared.” People like Sloane don’t do that. It seems to me that it should strike Jack that Sloane conveniently disappeared just when Sark conveniently dropped just the right piece of information to bring the Alliance down in one piece. Besides, these rogue intelligence groups are like cockroaches--as soon as you stamp one out, a couple more crop up.

This sets up Jack and Sloane as classic antagonists. Damn! I can’t wait!

Meanwhile, Jack’s cover has been blown and the Alliance has been vanquished. He has to face the question of what happens next (What’re you going to do now? I’m going to Disneyland!). Jack has spent his life undercover for over 20 years. Somehow I think that the transition to a more open existence won’t be without its bumps. Will he attempt to continue as he has, or will he try to loosen up a little? We already seem to be seeing small signs that he may be thawing a bit: his easy manner with Irina (2:12 The Getaway), and the easy way he placed his hand on his daughter’s shoulder in this episode. Last year, any touch beyond shaking hands seemed to be torture for him. The fact that he no longer needs to keep his lid on so tightly might encourage him to thaw even more rapidly. Only time will tell.

Random thoughts . . .

Jack’s response to torture in this episode was interesting compared with Sloane’s in “The Box” (1:13). Sloane is a chatty victim, who psychologically torments his tormentor. Aside from a pleasant exchange as they get ready, however, Jack is quite different, enduring his torture in silence. Had this incident occurred last season, I might have hypothesized that he might have been eagerly awaiting that last shock on the theory that it would fulfill a death wish--end the considerable pain in his life. However, this season has brought many changes to Jack; he has a great deal more to live for, including an improved relationship with his daughter, and--let’s face it--hope for his hopeless marriage. I think he faced impending death with a sense of irony: that it approached just as his life was showing some promise of becoming livable.

Discuss . . .

Do you expect Jack to loosen up a little? Or stay tightly wrapped? Do you think it's a good idea?

Jack vs. Sloane. What do you think?

Next:
Jack joins Sydney and Vaughn in attempting to determine whether an agent is who he says he is.

I think Jack will be tighter then ever. The CIA might think this was a perfect victory, all SD cells taken down, but I think Jack will be the only one who realizes that things are not that simple.

Take into consideration Sloane, an Alliance member is missing. Which other members might have been missing? After debriefing all the capturered SD agents we might find out that there were not only 12 Alliance cells.....but 24......36.....48.....etc. It was obvious that Syd thought she knew almost everything about SD-6 because of Jack, but neither of them knew about server 47, so what other huge bit of information is going to come to light?

As for Jack VS Sloane.

Slaone and Jack need each other so I think they would not overtly try to take each other out, not right now any way.

I think Sloane wants to start up a new syndicate, one in which he and only he runs the show. Even if he hates and does not trust Jack, he needs he to make this happen. Jack had too many contacts, and is far too experienced to be lost to vengence.

There is also this alternate theory. Sloane has always wanted to take down the Alliance, well not always but ever since Emily learned what it was about. Say Sloane became a partner just to take them down, to destroy everything they worked for, and to see them all jailed or worse. There goals are the same as those of the Bristows, save the working for the CIA which, as we know Sloane is also against.

Perhaps it is just a matter of cooperating with the lesser of two evils now, the lesser being the CIA.

Even if Sloane did not want cooperation with the CIA he would be wise to contact Jack and make him think this is what he wanted to do, in order to get Jack to inadvertantly help him attain his real goal as the head of a new global syndicate.

Sloane holds a wealth of information that will nto go untapped by Jack. Jack is the only agent who can help Sloane come back to power. This is pretty much the relationship they had before....so I do not think it will be much diffrent now.
S.

very true, i agree sycofancy, i think jack will be tighter but not around two people who we see him loosening up on: Sydney and Irina. And i think irina is in on the whole sloane and sark plot, which could bring up some very interesting conflicts if this is true. I am glad that he is becoming more fatherly to Sydney because the poor girl, her mother is compleltly dangerous and supposedly going to bring down the world and her father has no emotional capabilities towards(until the last couple of episodes)
with the sloane vs jack, i think that sloane is using the evil francie to gain more information on sydney and jakc to either hurt them or kill them or to become closer to them and find out all their contacts and rambaldi artifacts. i can't wait to see what happens in the next episodes, but i hope that we still see the same relationships between sloane and jack and sydney, i loved the whole i help you while backstabbing you and benifiting myself, because unbeknowest to us, sloane was using them just like they were using sloane!

sycofancy said:
I think Sloane wants to start up a new syndicate, one in which he and only he runs the show. Even if he hates and does not trust Jack, he needs he to make this happen. Jack had too many contacts, and is far too experienced to be lost to vengence.

. . .

Sloane holds a wealth of information that will nto go untapped by Jack. Jack is the only agent who can help Sloane come back to power. This is pretty much the relationship they had before....so I do not think it will be much diffrent now.
S.
That's a very interesting idea, that Sloane will try to use his ties to Jack to pull him in and retether re-shackle him to himself (Sloane). But their relationship would have to move to a somewhat different footing, because there could be no assumption of trust on either side.

Yes the relationship would be diffrent but neither would have to let the other one know there was no trust. We know Jack never trusted Sloane, and Sloane always made it seems like he trusted Jack but how much can Sloane really trust anyone?

I also think it would be in the CIA's best interest to allow Jack get close to Sloane...they are going to want to know what he is up to and even if they captured him I think he would soon die or rot in jail then tell the CIA what he is up to.
S.

I must admit that I've never read a single one of your reviews. I've skimmed though them, read a paragraph or two, but I was always too lazy to read everything.

Until now.

All I can say is I agree completely with everything you said. I'm not sure if they were thoughts buried inside my head that were brought out by this review, or if you instantaniously convinced me that these things are true.

As for next week's episode, I have no idea what to expect. But one thing's for sure--we get to see a little more of the true Jack.

Good column (y)

verdantheart said:
Do you expect Jack to loosen up a little? Or stay tightly wrapped? Do you think it's a good idea?

Jack vs. Sloane. What do you think?

I think Jack may loosen up a little, like others have said with the 2 people he has the deepest emotions for, I think it's a good idea, like it would help with his relationship with Sydney (maybe even Irina, although that woman is cryptex within herself :lol: )

Jack vs. Sloane, I think it's been going on for a long time, subconsciously or whatever, like whenever Sloane implied Jack wasn't around for Sydney for most of her life. Pre-Alliance Destruction, it was more of a matter of 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer.'

Back