Season 5 This can't be true, can it?

Ok i realise i'm in the minority here, but i actually like the character Lauren.

yeah yeah she's a 'baddie', but you guys have such an overt reaction to her its verging on the personal!

Melissa George is an actress- she's acting as a bad guy. And I agree with haephestus about her being a pretty decent villain, and all the reasons listed.

I understand bringing Lauren back from the 'dead' by way of freezing her, despite several gunshot wounds, is slightly unrealistic, but hey, what is realistic in the world of Alias??

I mean, all this Rambaldi stuff, and Francie/ Alison supernaturally coming back from the dead, multiple times. You believe that over the possibility of Lauren being chryogenically frozen?

Don't get me wrong- i LOVE Alias (hence the reason I'm here...).
Taking such a dislike to Lauren seems a bit of an over reaction to me. After all, Syd and Vaughn are the core of Alias, and understandably we don't like anything standing in the way of their togetherness, but think how boring it would be if they were happy, all of the time!

Besides, Alias isn't a romance... it has elements, but it is fundamentally a spy show, with arse-kicking action as its main ingredient. So with touches of the supernatural and kinda out-of-this-world storylines, it has everything that makes us love it so much!

so i say, bring on the villain!! it makes it more interesting...

I really don't want Lauren back, but you know there just bringing her back to cause more drama for Syd and Vaughn. Well as long as she dosn't come back wanting to have Vaughn back im ok. But if she starts moving in on him, i say shoot the b**** but this time in the head. :P

The people that don't want her back (I presume) are the S/V shippers and the people that didn't like the whole Lark pairing.

I want her back....

AngelFire47 said:
Ok i realise i'm in the minority here, but i actually like the character Lauren.

yeah yeah she's a 'baddie', but you guys have such an overt reaction to her its verging on the personal!

Melissa George is an actress- she's acting as a bad guy. And I agree with haephestus about her being a pretty decent villain, and all the reasons listed.

I understand bringing Lauren back from the 'dead' by way of freezing her, despite several gunshot wounds, is slightly unrealistic, but hey, what is realistic in the world of Alias??

I mean, all this Rambaldi stuff, and Francie/ Alison supernaturally coming back from the dead, multiple times. You believe that over the possibility of Lauren being chryogenically frozen?

Don't get me wrong- i LOVE Alias (hence the reason I'm here...).
Taking such a dislike to Lauren seems a bit of an over reaction to me. After all, Syd and Vaughn are the core of Alias, and understandably we don't like anything standing in the way of their togetherness, but think how boring it would be if they were happy, all of the time!

Besides, Alias isn't a romance... it has elements, but it is fundamentally a spy show, with arse-kicking action as its main ingredient. So with touches of the supernatural and kinda out-of-this-world storylines, it has everything that makes us love it so much!

so i say, bring on the villain!! it makes it more interesting...
[post="1081530"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

ok, I get your point about Lauren.....and I think she was an excellent character because I agree with you about Syd and Vaughn being happy all the time - that would be boring. BUT characters are essentially written into a show for different reasons, either you love the character like you love Syd, or you hate the character like you hate Lauren. She was written to be a horrible character that would make people hate her, and she was written so well, and acted so well by MG that she is getting this reaction out of people. You see?
I just happen to hate her because that is the way I took the character....I think she is an amazing character in terms of what the writers were looking for, but I hate her as she was designed to be hated by S/V shippers.

she was designed to be hated by S/V shippers.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Like me ^_^ No, I think she was a fantastic bad guy but I didn't like how knowing she was bad effected Vaughn, it made him a really rubbish character that nobody liked, so if that's gonna happen again I don't want her back! :( </span>

I was surprised that on most message boards (especially TWOP), Sark fans were the most angry, and S/V shippers were indifferent.

I don't know about other s/v shippers, but I've kind of just taken on this lost cause mentatlity about it. I mean, yes, from you jinnie, and the promos it's obvious at least in the first few episodes we will be s/v shipper happy, but it just seems that it might not last throughout the season and therefore I really don't care anymore if Lauren shows up or not. She already ruined 1 season (meaning the character of course), and if it's not evident to the writers than I just don't care anymore.

Even seeing Lauren Reed frozen is too much for me, she didn't work, get rid of her and for God's sake stop recycling lives.

Actually I'm looking forward to what is bound to be her best performance yet!

tooboo said:
Actually I'm looking forward to what is bound to be her best performance yet!
[post="1082907"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:sideroll: :sideroll: :sideroll: OMG, you had me peeing myself laughing, I never thought about that, you are so right, with her mouth permanently closed, I might actually enjoy her.

jewel said:
:sideroll:  :sideroll:  :sideroll:  OMG, you had me peeing myself laughing, I never thought about that, you are so right, with her mouth permanently closed, I might actually enjoy her.
[post="1082914"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

While her silence would be a good thing, it all depends on how distracting the eyeliner of doom is!

Personally, it we never saw her again it would be too soon! And I'm another S/V fan who is happy about the stuff we're hearing (and I LOVED the promo), but is still worried that this being tv and the writers being incapable of writing stories where couples actually stay together, that they'll just end up finding some way to split them up again soon enough! It's really annoying on a show like Alias especially, coz it's not the like the relationship is, or should be, a major focus! I'd be happy for it to be bubbling along in the background.

It's one of my major bug bears about last season actually. All the people who hated S/V in season 1 & 2 said it took up too much time etc, when in reality it was hardly on screen at all, but then in season 3 we had all this gratuitous pda etc with Lauren and Vaughn (with less than zero chemistry therefore making it annoying in the extreme, but totally unbelievable!).

Okay, rant over...I now return you to your regular broadcasting! :D :P

I was surprised that on most message boards (especially TWOP), Sark fans were the most angry, and S/V shippers were indifferent.

I think the reason Sark fans are more enraged than S/V fans are is because of what Lauren did to the character of Sark in S3. Ok, she didn't Vaughn any favors either but Vaughn's character damage was really nothing compared to Sark's (and let's face it I'd say there is little danger of Vaughn going back to Lauren). In S1 and S2 Sark was cool bad guy with a great edge to him. He wasn't easily impressed (with the exception of Syd) and rarely allowed his emotions to betray him. Now enter Lauren Reed. Suddenly, Sark is a lovesick hormonal teenager who is acting like he had never seen a person killed before. S3 Sark was a complete and utter wussy. Now for the more accurate term I want to use take the word "wussy" and replace the "w" with the letter "p". No other way to put it. And with this latest spoiler it sounds like what little Sark time we will receive in S4 will be devoted to him continually drooling over Lauren. Man, I am a diehard S/V fan and I would rather see Sark lust over Syd. Hell, Vaughn, Jack, Dixon, or (what the hell) Sloane would be better! At least in those cases I could understand why he would be crushing over her/him! I don't blame Sark fans for being so pissed off.

I always wonder if Lauren was universally hated, or just hated by those of us who frequent message boards...I would think that JJ must be getting some positive feedback about the character from somewhere otherwise they would not be bringing her back...

Also I agree with whoever said that S/V is not likely to stay together...I think Lauren may be a part of the issue, but also I think there are about a million examples of shows that died once the two main love interests got together...it just turns into boring TV...it sucks for S/V shippers, but all you have to do is go back and look at The Nanny, or Who's The Boss, or Moonlighting, etc...Hell, even Sex and the City waited from essentially Season 2 to Season 6 b/4 they let the two main love interests get back together again...and of course then, the show was ending...

tippinlover said:
Also I agree with whoever said that S/V is not likely to stay together...I think Lauren may be a part of the issue, but also I think there are about a million examples of shows that died once the two main love interests got together...it just turns into boring TV...it sucks for S/V shippers, but all you have to do is go back and look at The Nanny, or Who's The Boss, or Moonlighting, etc...Hell, even Sex and the City waited from essentially Season 2 to Season 6 b/4 they let the two main love interests get back together again...and of course then, the show was ending...
[post="1083527"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

While you're right about shows that stunk once they got the leads together, to me that's just a cop out excuse used by other writers to justify why they don't do it. All it needs is good writers with imaginations to be able to write the stuff that would mean it wouldn't stink. And we're not talking about a relationship that is the main focus of the show (nor should it be, and I say that as a HUGE S/V shipper), but one that could just be a background issue to all the spy stuff, whereas it was a major part of many of those shows, hence the problems once the relationship began.

One show that did manage it was Friends when Monica and Chandler got together - I know that's a totally different type of show, but I just use it as an example of a show where the writers did 'embrace' the challenge and did so successfully.

Sorry if this sounds ranty, but like I said, it's one of my pet peev issues!! :D And is in no way any kind of attack on anyone posting here, before anyone thinks or suggests that it is, if it's an 'attack' on anyone its on idiot writers of shows!!

HockeyVaughnFan said:
While you're right about shows that stunk once they got the leads together, to me that's just a cop out excuse used by other writers to justify why they don't do it.  All it needs is good writers with imaginations to be able to write the stuff that would mean it wouldn't stink. And we're not talking about a relationship that is the main focus of the show (nor should it be, and I say that as a HUGE S/V shipper), but one that could just be a background issue to all the spy stuff, whereas it was a major part of many of those shows, hence the problems once the relationship began.

One show that did manage it was Friends when Monica and Chandler got together - I know that's a totally different type of show, but I just use it as an example of a show where the writers did 'embrace' the challenge and did so successfully.

Sorry if this sounds ranty, but like I said, it's one of my pet peev issues!!  :D  And is in no way any kind of attack on anyone posting here, before anyone thinks or suggests that it is, if it's an 'attack' on anyone its on idiot writers of shows!!
[post="1083850"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I hear ya about the writing...it's gonna be a difficult task for the writers...I, personally, liked S/V more the first season and a half of Alias, b/c once they got together it was boring to me and they seemed to go out of their way to have more S/V interaction especially out in the field, which I thought was a mistake and continued to be a mistake in Season 3 b/c they destroyed the character of Dixon in the process...the angst is almost always better than the actually fruition of the relationship...

However, as far as Lauren goes, I never liked the fact that they brought in a new person to sort of break the couple apart...now that was a cop out on the writer's part I think...

"I thought was a mistake and continued to be a mistake in Season 3 b/c they destroyed the character of Dixon in the process...the angst is almost always better than the actually fruition of the relationship..."

I totally agree with you here. I feel really disappointed that Dixon's character slipped through S3. Hell, i really hope the writers get back on the right track in S4.

Also, I love seeing romantic angst in Alias- we all go through it, and it wouldn't be realistic if S&V were happy and smiles all the time. There needs to be a little heartbreak and awkwarness to spice it up abit, and make the good times even better...
:love: :syd1: :vaughn1: :naughty:

Back