Politics This really is very very bad

()aliasyeah() said:
my school raised a little over $20,000 for 9/11.  (those zeros are correct)  i wonder how much we'll raise for this cause.  I always put my share in--are alot of your schools/ places of work doing something?  just wondering . . .
[post="1155948"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Oh wow, quite a bit of money! :blink: and I lied, my school's made over $5000 now. but what's scary, some other school up north (northern ontario) raised a quarter of a million. :blink: we were all like. :blink: :wtf: :Ph34r:
--Mandy :angelic:

This NBC special really seems to be raising money. I have been watching it, and they are also selling things that could raise even more money.

Baa. My school has only raised $280, as of last Tuesday when I interviewed the Leadership teacher. Damn, we have so much, yet so many will not donate even a couple of dollars. Our goal is to get to $4000 by the end of the month, and it does not look like it is going to happen. :(

amazing telethon last night
amazing performances
by annie lenox
clapton/water
norah jones
elton
and all the celebs on the phones...
i wonder what the final tally will be

MC

mystery_chick said:
Oh wow, quite a bit of money! :blink: and I lied, my school's made over $5000 now. but what's scary, some other school up north (northern ontario) raised a quarter of a million. :blink: we were all like. :blink: :wtf: :Ph34r:
--Mandy :angelic:
[post="1160701"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

wow! that other school must be VERRRRRRY generous! but i'm glad that all the money is coming in now--everybody does there part, and the world will become a better place *heavenly light pours down* haha

Strong Quake Hits Off Indonesia Island

2 minutes ago  World - AP Asia

BANGKOK, Thailand - A large earthquake struck off Indonesia's Sumatra Island in the Andaman Sea late Monday, and the U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) said it was a major quake measuring a magnitude of 8.2.

Thai officials issued a warning of a possible tsunami, three months after a tsunami devastated parts of Indonesia and other countries in the region. The quake occurred at 11:09 p.m. local at a depth of nearly 19 miles, the USGS (news - web sites) in Golden, Colo., said.

Japan's Meteorological Agency measured the quake at magnitude 8.5.

The magnitude-9 undersea earthquake, the world's biggest in 40 years, and the huge tsunami it sent charging across the Indian Ocean at the speed of a passenger jet killed more than 174,000 people and left another 106,000 missing.

More than 1.5 million people were left homeless in 11 countries.

I'm watching the breaking news on CNN. It's awful. They're saying that it's probably going to trigger another Tsunami.

It's the middle of the night over there and they're doing their best to warn people, but they still don't have a warning system.

And they have lost telephone contact with Sumatra in Indonesia.

I have to go to bed - it's 3:30am, but I want to see what happens. I was there when the tsunami happened, and I know a lot of people in that part of the world right now - including my parents.

My uncle lives in Indonesia. So last time this was really nerveracking, and it's going to be nerveracking again.

I'm hoping that since the tragedy of the last Tsunami that they're doing everything they can to warn people...even if it is the middle of the night.

My parents are in southern India, and are on holiday at the coast (where the tsunami killed people). They are about to fly to southern Thailand. :thinking:

I felt the last earthquake, and know people who were swept away by the water (most survived). This is really scary. Plus, India handled the whole thing terribly last time and lied about their death toll.

Natalia said:
My parents are in southern India, and are on holiday at the coast (where the tsunami killed people). They are about to fly to southern Thailand. :thinking:

I felt the last earthquake, and know people who were swept away by the water (most survived). This is really scary. Plus, India handled the whole thing terribly last time and lied about their death toll.
[post="1278382"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

You'd think that India would hopefully get their act together after how they handled it last time.

And of course none of the news networks over here are covering it anymore. It's the "All Schiavo all the time" network. Guess they don't realize there are more important things out there :angry:

That is ridiuclous that they aren't covering it.

My parents aren't holidaying right where people were killed - I just realised how bad that sounded.

Here's an updated story.

10 minutes ago   World - AP Asia

By MICHAEL CASEY, Associated Press Writer

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - A major earthquake struck off the west coast of Indonesia's Sumatra Island late Monday, and officials warned that a tsunami could strike the area. Residents of Banda Aceh fled their homes in panic.

The U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) said the temblor, described by one of the agency's geologists as an aftershock of the devastating Dec. 26 quake, measured a magnitude of 8.2.

In Banda Aceh, the Sumatran city that was hit hardest by December's tsunami, the quake cut electricity and thousands poured into the streets, most getting into vehicles to flee low-lying areas.

The quake lasted for about two minutes — far longer than most of the daily aftershocks that have rocked Aceh since Dec. 26.

"People are still traumatized, still scared, they are running for higher ground," said Feri, a 24-year-old recovery volunteer who goes by one name.

The quake was felt as far away as Malaysia, about 300 miles from the epicenter, sending panicked residents fleeing their apartments and hotels in Kuala Lumpur and Penang after authorities activated fire alarms.

Officials issued a tsunami warning for residents of southern Thai provinces, three months after a tsunami devastated parts of Indonesia and other countries in the region. The quake occurred at 11:09 p.m. local time (11:09 a.m. EST) at a depth of nearly 19 miles, the USGS (news - web sites) in Golden, Colo., said.

The quake was centered 125 west-northwest of Sibolga, Sumatra, and 150 miles southwest of Medan, Sumatra, the agency said.

Japan's Meteorological Agency said the quake registered 8.5.

Tremors were felt throughout peninsular Malaysia's west coast, causing thousands of residents to flee high-rise apartment buildings and hotels. There were no immediate reports of any casualties or major damage.

"I was getting ready for bed, and suddenly, the room started shaking," said Kuala Lumpur resident Jessie Chong. "I thought I was hallucinating at first, but then I heard my neighbors screaming and running out."

The USGS said in a statement that the quake occurred on a segment of the same fault line that triggered the magnitude-9 earthquake on Dec. 26, the world's biggest in 40 years.

Dale Grant of U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was magnitude 8.2 and was in the aftershock zone of the Dec. 26 quake.

"It is along the same segment of fault," he said. "We do expect aftershocks. An 8.2 is very large, but it's not unusual as an aftershock."

He stressed they have no reports at this time of any tsunami.

The Dec. 26 quake triggered the huge tsunami that swept across the Indian Ocean at the speed of a passenger jet killed more than 174,000 people and left another 106,000 missing.

More than 1.5 million people were left homeless in 11 countries..

Tremors form the quake could be felt in the Thai capital Bangkok for several minutes beginning at about 11:20 p.m.

Chalermchai Aekkantrong, deputy director of Thailand's meteorological department, told a radio station Monday that officials were asking people near the coast to evacuate, although there were no immediate reports of a tsunami.

It's a little bit crazy that 'only' 2000 people died and everybody is relieved.

Indonesian VP: Quake May Kill Up to 2,000

41 minutes ago  World - AP Asia

By MICHAEL CASEY, Associated Press Writer

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - A powerful earthquake struck off Indonesia's west coast late Monday, killing scores of people whose homes collapsed on them and spreading panic across the Indian Ocean that another killer tsunami was on the way. Indonesia's vice president predicted up to 2,000 deaths.

Fears of a second tsunami catastrophe in just over three months eased within hours, as officials in countries at risk reported their coasts clear of the type of earthquake-spawned waves that ravaged a dozen countries in Asia and Africa on Dec. 26.

Almost all the deaths reported after the 8.7-magnitude quake were on Indonesia's Nias island, a popular surfing spot off Sumatra island's west coast and close to the epicenter. Police were pulling children's' bodies out of the rubble of collapsed houses, and a fire was reportedly raging in one town.

"It is predicted — and it's still a rough estimate — that the numbers of dead may be between 1,000 and 2,000," Vice President Jusuf Kalla told the el-Shinta radio station, saying the estimate was based on an assessment of damage to buildings.

Other estimates varied. A district official in the town of Gunungsitoli said about 300 had died there, while Indonesia's information minister said between 100 and 200 had died.

Two people were also killed in Sri Lanka during a panicky evacuation from the coast in a Tamil rebel-held area, authorities said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake struck about 19 miles under the seabed, some 155 miles south-southeast of Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province on Sumatra island. It was centered just 110 miles southeast of December's 9.0-magnitude temblor — the world's most powerful in 40 years.

Monday's wallop, although very powerful, was but a fraction of the earlier quake. In explosive power, December's quake was equal to 100 million pounds of TNT; it caused the seabed to spring up as much as 60 feet.

Terrified of a disaster of equal proportions, sirens sounded throughout the region as authorities issued tsunami alerts for six countries after the quake struck at 11:06 p.m. as many people were sleeping.

Women clutching children ran into the darkened streets of Banda Aceh, crying and chanting "Allahu Akbar," or "God is Great." Others grabbed small bags of clothes and fled their tents and homes for higher ground.

Another man rushed instead to the local mosque, saying "Where can I go, you can't outrun a tsunami."

The quake lasted two minutes and briefly cut electricity in Banda Aceh. Thousands poured into the streets, where flickering campfires and motorbike and car headlights provided the only lighting.

People grabbed small bags of clothes as they fled their tents and homes. Many were crying and jumping into cars and onto motorbikes and pedicabs to head for higher ground. Two women wearing prayer shawls and sarongs grabbed a fence to steady themselves.

"People are still traumatized, still scared, they are running for higher ground," said Feri, a 24-year-old aid volunteer who goes by one name.

In Sri Lanka, warning sirens blared along the island nation's east coast and President Chandrika Kumaratunga urged people to evacuate immediately to higher ground.

"It was like reliving the same horror of three months ago," said Fatheena Faleel, who fled her home with her three children after seeing the warning on television.

In Malaysia, residents fled their shaking apartments and hotels.

"I was getting ready for bed, and suddenly, the room started shaking," said Jessie Chong, a resident of the largest city, Kuala Lumpur. "I thought I was hallucinating at first, but then I heard my neighbors screaming and running out."

The quake was felt as far away as Singapore and the Thai capital, Bangkok, more than 435 miles from the epicenter.

Nias island was badly hit on Dec. 26, when at least 340 residents were killed and 10,000 were left homeless.

The devastation there from Monday's quake appeared to be far worse.

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said early Tuesday he would fly to the stricken island to assess the damage for himself.

In the town of Gunungsitoli, about 70 percent of buildings collapsed in the market district, officials said.

"Hundreds of buildings have been damaged or have collapsed," said Agus Mendrofa, the island's deputy district head. He told el-Shinta radio station that at least 296 people had died in Gunungsitoli.

The MISNA missionary news agency in Rome, Italy, reported that a huge fire was raging early Tuesday in Gunungsitoli.

"From the window I see very high flames," MISNA quoted Father Raymond Laia as saying by telephone about two miles from the town. "The town is completely destroyed. I repeat, the town is completely destroyed."

Another police officer, who identified himself as Nainggolan, said rescuers were trying to pull people out of the rubble, and that many were still panicking because of several aftershocks.

"We are busy now trying to pull people or bodies of children from the collapsed building," said Nainggolan, who like many Indonesians uses only one name. "It is very hard also because there is no power."

"The situation here is really messy," he said. "Aftershocks keep hitting every half hour making thousands of people flee their homes and afraid to go home."

U.S. State Department deputy spokesman Adam Ereli said U.S. diplomatic missions in Asia and Africa went into "battle mode" to respond quickly to any contingency. Authorities worldwide had been slow to recognize the magnitude of the Dec. 26 disaster, which killed at least 175,000 people in 12 Indian Ocean nations and left another 106,000 missing.

Preliminary indications were that energy from Monday's quake might be directed toward the southwest, said Frank Gonzalez, an oceanographer with the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration in Seattle.

The only tsunami reported was a small one — 10 inches — at the Cocos Islands, 1,400 miles west of Australia. Hours later, Australian meterologists reported a tsunami-caused wave of 10 to 20 inches hitting to the north and south of the Western Australia state capital Perth. No damage was reported in either area.

Officials said after the December disaster that a tsunami early warning system could have saved many lives. Such a system exists in the Pacific but has not been established in the Indian Ocean. Japan and the United States had planned to start providing tsunami warnings to countries around the Indian Ocean this month as a stopgap measure until the region establishes its own alert system.

But for residents of ravaged Banda Aceh, no warning system was needed after they felt the quake and headed for higher ground.

At the city's biggest refugee camp, a voice on loudspeaker later announced that there was no tsunami. This time, the voice said, people could return to their tents.

I agree to say it's crazy to call it 'only'. But considering that the death toll on December 26th was over 170,000, I think people have a right to be relieved.

And the 2000 number has been brought down to just over 200. Which is still awful, but excellent to know that this wasn't as tragic as last time.

Jamison said:
I agree to say it's crazy to call it 'only'.  But considering that the death toll on December 26th was over 170,000, I think people have a right to be relieved.

And the 2000 number has been brought down to just over 200.  Which is still awful, but excellent to know that this wasn't as tragic as last time.
[post="1279256"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Actually, they have found 330 bodies, and have a couple of thousand people unaccounted for. They may well be alive - for example there are Australian aid workers unaccounted for in parts of Indonesia, where communications are down. But right now we don't know.

Back