Three of Us?

ok ok ok so ther's still no post :(

so i'm gonna give you a verse of poetry as an insentive.....

ok so maybe I wont......

perhaps you'll just have to post!!!!!!!!!!!

PERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(I'm really not a very poetic person!)

Okay - :hide: so it has been a really, really, really long time since I updated this story. :missing: 🍅, and all I can say is that I am sorry. I'm so glad and sincerly flattered that so many of you read :read: this story and like it time and time again. This chapter maily happened because i'm an aliasaholic guilted me into it. :sly: :ermm: :boxing: 🦇 :baa: and I'm hoping that this will make it up to her and to all of you.

For those of you who need a refresher - Syd and Vaughn are having a baby. They have told everyone, and have just bought their first hourse together. Everything is going along well with the pregnancy.

👍 So I am hoping you all will still enjoy it. (y)

And if you don't get a PM just leave me a post - it's been a while and I had to go all the way to the start to pull the list together.

:sorry:

Without further ado - The Three of Us?

---------------------------------------------

Michael Vaughn sat at his desk looking at the singular picture frame he kept there. It was made of fine oak and had a silver inlay. It was a present from Francie. She had given it to him three months before, and he loved it. The photo itself was from a casual night back when he and Sydney had been living with Will and Francie back at the old apartment. It was of Sydney and him sitting on the couch. They were both beaming, truly happy, but his favorite part of the picture was Syd’s amazing peek-a-boo belly. At least that is what they had named it. In some pictures back then she could look normal, just a tad curvier then before. But here in this photo the fact that she was pregnant was obvious and the happiness the couple felt about this was obvious on their faces.

And the truth was they were still happy now. They had a home of their own which Sydney was considered almost finished with the decorating, a new car, Syd was on maternity leave, the pregnancy was going along textbook well, their friends were tremendous support, and Sydney’s father, Jack Bristow, had yet to try any form of torture or murder on him. For that alone Vaughn considered himself lucky.

He knew that he should really be working on his presentation of options for dealing with a situation that could get out of hand with weapons checks on the border of several northern nations, but his heart just wasn’t into it. Ever since Syd and he had announced her pregnancy Jack had made certain that they were both confined to desk work, and while Vaughn understood the senior Bristow’s logic behind this decision it made coming to work much less fun, and he found himself being less and less enthusiastic toward the minutia of fact finding and presentation writing.

Vaughn looked around the make sure that no one was paying particular attention to him and when he was secure that no one was observing him he pulled open his top side drawer and took out several pamphlets he had picked up at the doctors office that morning during Sydney’s appointment. He had folded them up and stuck them inside his suit jacket without showing her. Vaughn didn’t know why but he hadn’t brought up them up in the car either. He sensed that she was too tired and then was not the time to bring up their contents, but soon they would have to deal with it.

For the time being Sydney was with Francie. Frequently in the afternoons Francie would pick up Sydney and take her to the restaurant to keep an eye on her for Vaughn. It had become a nice tradition for the four friends to meet there Monday through Friday and have supper in the back kitchen, laughing and sharing their day with each other. It had the familiar tinge of when the four had lived together.

Today Vaughn had dropped Sydney off at the old apartment and into Francie’s care after the appointment. After kissing her and telling her he loved her and that he would call later and let her know when he thought he would get out of work, he waved to Fran and headed to the office.

And there he sat with the doctors pamphlets in his hand. Vaughn decided that if he put them inside the folder of current information he was “researching” no one would give him a second look, and he was right. For the next hour he sat and read pamphlet after pamphlet and final resorted to surfing online, on a secure link from Marshall, ingesting all the information he could find out there about birthing techniques like Lamaze. By the time it was three-o-clock that afternoon Vaughn had decided that taking a Lamaze class was a smart choice and knew that he was going to talk to Syd about it that night.

When Vaughn realized that it was three he picked up his desk phone and dialed the familiar numbers to Sydney’s cell phone and waited for her to answer.

“Hey you.” Sydney chirped into Vaughn’s ear.

“Hey my bel amour.” He answered her back. The sound of her voice and the image of her in his minds eye made him brake out into a face full smile. God he loved this woman!

“So how is work? Boring day again?” She asked him, genuinely interested in both his state of mind and the going on at her workplace.

“Oh you know same old same old.” He replied as he shut the folder he had been using to conceal the pamphlets of birthing classes. “I actually spent most of today working on some research for a presentation I have to give tomorrow afternoon.”

“Anything interesting?”

“Probably only to you and Marshall.” Vaughn said with a chuckle. Sydney had this way of absorbing information no matter how germane.

“And what is wrong with that?” She laughed. “I happen to think Marshall is one of the smartest men I know, and I know a lot of intellectual men.”

“I hope I’m on that list.”

“Perhaps. It’s a confidential list though. So you’ll have to wait to get the security clearance to read those documents.”

“Ah.”

“Ah.”

“So what time do you think you are going to be able to get out of work tonight?” Sydney asked; hope leaking through for an early return to her side. Vaughn had noticed that the further into her pregnancy she got the more open she was to being less independent.

“I have to talk to your father and he has been busy all day long, but as soon as I get together with him I’ll be on my way back to you.” He said emphasizing the words back to you.

“Good. Francie not to be late because Will forgot his lunch today and God himself is the only one who knows if there is enough food in the kitchen here at the restaurant to feed him now that he went all day without food.” She said completely seriously. Sydney had known Will Tippin for years and knew the dent he could make into anyone’s refrigerator on a full stomach.

“Okay, but why didn’t he just go and pick up something for lunch. He works right in down town. He wouldn’t have even had to take his car to get food.” As he eyed the door to Jack Bristow’s office open up and watched a tall blonde man, whom Vaughn knew his name to be Alex, walk out and head straight over to the elevators.

“Why does Will do any of the things that he does?” She responded.

“Hello, earth to Vaughn? Vaughn what’s going on?” Sydney asked when he didn’t respond to her.

“Oh, nothing. Ya Will is a strange one. I bet he just wanted Fran to be sympathetic toward him.” Vaughn said trying to act nonchalant and keep an eye on Jack through the now open door.

“Well that isn’t going to work. She’s more annoyed with him than feeling like ‘oh poor baby’”.

“You might want to call him and warn him of that.” Vaughn said. From what he observed it looked like Jack was getting ready to pack up and leave for the day. Vaughn couldn’t let that happen not again. He had too many things on his mind and this was starting to weigh on him, he was waking up in cold sweets for the past three nights just waiting for the right time.

“Hey Syd, your dad just got out of a meeting and I want to grab him before he gets embroiled in something else. I’ll try to get out of here as early as possible, and I’ll call if I get caught up in something.”

“Okay. We love you.”

Whenever Sydney said the inclusive “we” it made Vaughn feel the most vulnerable he ever had in his entire life. He hadn’t even seen his child but in fuzzy black and white ultrasounds but he knew that he would lay down his life for him or her as well as for Sydney. It was a powerful emotion that still made him feel shaky inside.

“I love you both too. Bye Syd.”

“Bye.”

Vaughn put the phone back in its cradle and opened up one of his file drawers. He extracted a few of the pamphlets from the file and then dropped the folder into his drawer, closed it and then locked it up.

He then sat there going through what he wanted to say in his head as he check his hair, clothes for stains from lunch, his breathe, and finally stood up and slipped on his suit jacket and started walking toward Jack Bristow’s office – reminding himself that he just needed to put on foot in front of the other and he would be there momentarily. He just needed to keep himself from blacking out until after he got there and got out what he wanted to say.

From behind him Jack Bristow heard a knock on the frame of his door, and he knew exactly who it was.

Jack had been watching Vaughn for the past week and a half knowing it was coming but trying to hedge it off for as long as he could. He truly did not want to have this conversation.

“Come in Agent Vaughn.” Jack said in his most intimidating voice, wondering if it would make the younger agent skittish and back off.

“May I speak with you privately Jack?” Vaughn asked humbly. He stood tall but there was something softer, sort of slumped in his presentation. Both men knew this was a necessity but neither was relishing the thought of the interaction.

“Yes, I have a few moments before I have to leave. Close the door behind you.” Jack said as he picked a few more files off of his desk and placed them into his briefcase. He walked over to the window sill and poured a glass of water and took a sip. Showing the glass to Vaughn he made a silent offer for the same refreshment.

“No thank you.” Vaughn replied. He was afraid he wouldn’t be able to keep the clear liquid down in his stomach.

Jack shrugged his shoulders as to say “whatever” to Vaughn and walked over to his desk, pulled out his large chair and eased himself down into it. In this chair behind his large desk Jack looked regal and very much in place. Vaughn found himself feeling small and out of sorts sitting on the hard chair with nothing to protect him like Jack’s desk.

The silence sat between both men heavily for two minutes before Jack broke the silence taking the upper hand away from Vaughn.

“You said you wanted to talk to me Agent Vaughn, not that you wanted to sit in my office with me.” Jack said as sarcastically as most of his normal encounters with Vaughn were.

“Yes I did. Jack,” Vaughn paused here trying to remember the speech he had been writing over the past three months.

“Yes, Vaughn.”

I just have to say it and get it over with. I can handle this. I’ve been tortured, stabbed, left for dead; I can do this, piece of cake. Vaughn looked up into Jack Bristow’s eyes and set his there.

“Jack, I love your daughter. She is everything to me, and I know that you know that. Things didn’t go according to a more normal suburban plan, but in honesty I wouldn’t change anything because I love Sydney and I love our child.”

“Yes Mr. Vaughn.” Jack replied as Vaughn fell silent again.

“Jack I came in here today to discuss my future and I can't see a future for me without your daughter in it. So I sit here today asking for your daughter's hand in marriage and your blessing." Vaughn finished and watched Jack’s face for any sign of emotion.

“I do believe that you believe you love my daughter Mr. Vaughn. As far as her hand, you have it and my blessing. All I have ever wanted in the life is for Sydney to be safe and happy. I may have failed her in the happiness department, but I always wanted it for her. You should however be aware with out me having to say this, that I will always be watching and if my daughter comes to harm, or becomes unhappy you will have to deal with me Agent Vaughn.” Jack said as he stood up and picked up his coat, keys, and brief case and walking to the door.

Vaughn stood and watched as Jack opened the door then turned around to him. “Thank you Jack.” Vaughn said as he reached out to shake his hand.

“You are welcome. But I really have to go now.” Jack said as he quickly shook Vaughn’s hand then walked out of the office.

Vaughn sat back down in the uncomfortable chair and went back over what had just occurred.

“Mr. Bristow I have that report you wanted and two things I need you to sign off for.” Marshall said as he started to trot to catch up with the retreating figure of Jack Bristow as he headed to the stairwell.

“Just put them on my desk Marshall.” Jack said with out stopping or turning around. “I am late for an appointment. Agent Vaughn held me up. I will deal with them tomorrow.” Jack said as he swung the door to the stairs open and sailed out of Marshall’s vision.

“Wow.” Was all Marshall had to say as he headed back toward Jack’s office to leave the files in his in box.

Jack took the steps three at a time marching down them heading toward the parking garage. He walked at a brisk clip toward his car and unlocked when he was in range. Throwing his coat and briefcase inside and turned the car over and squealed out of his spot and headed out of the parking garage into the bright light of the California sun, making the lefts and rights on his way to the interstate.

Twenty minutes Jack and his silent car got off the highway onto a slow back road exit. He followed the road for several miles and then stopped in front of a chain link fence. He got out of his car and pulled a key out from underneath the door frame and went up to the lock on the fence.

After unlocking the fence, and putting the key back in place, Jack drove the car onto the deserted, electrical supply building. He parked his car in the back of the building where it would not be visible from the road and pulled his things off of the passenger’s seat and walked up to the dusty door.

He spoke one simple sentence into what looked like a crumbling brick.

“Mon enfant est la chose la plus précieuse à moi.”

And with that the air locks clicked open and Jack could slip into the building.

There wasn’t much to be noticed. The contents were a cot, a chair, table, small bathroom, a closet with a few clothes and assorted other items, and some books.

Jack walked over slowly to the table and chair. He dropped the contents of his hands on the table and then reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet.

Sitting down in the chair Jack flipped open the wallet and pulled out it a sleeve of pictures. He started to flip through them slowly, starting with the picture that was taken that early morning at the hospital when his whole world had changed.

Jack had known that having a child would change things, but he had not known how powerful the emotions would really be. Even though Sydney was about to be a mother herself and marry Vaughn he still felt protective and sick to his stomach at the thought of any danger that could possible affect her.

Looking through the past he stopped on a picture of Sydney in a pink dress with strawberry barrettes in her hair. She was eight in that picture. Something was strange though the picture was out of focus. Jack sat back in the chair blinked and realized why the image had been blurred in shades of pink, red, and golden brown – he – Jack Bristow was crying.

But for once in his life Jack Bristow did not feel ashamed or try to stop the tears from falling. Alone, as he had spend the majority of his life watching the world revolve around him, Jack Bristow cried for the loss of a daughter who never really knew how much he had been there, and the sacrifices he had made, and the wonder that was always in the back of his mind if he had made the right choices in his life.

Looking at the little strawberries and remembering the feeling of Sydney’s silky hair slipping between his fingers as he had tried to get the barrettes in correctly, and the her giggle when she saw her hair up - Jack decided he wouldn’t trade one motion of his life because he had gained Sydney.

-----------------------------------------------

So I hope you all like it - and I promise :angelic: it will not be months before I post again. I think a few of my friends would hunt me down
:bond: :stick: :jumpon: :ninja: :boxing: :angry:

Sam - 🦇

YAYYAYAYAYAYAY An update!!!! :D

Whenever Sydney said the inclusive “we” it made Vaughn feel the most vulnerable he ever had in his entire life. He hadn’t even seen his child but in fuzzy black and white ultrasounds but he knew that he would lay down his life for him or her as well as for Sydney. It was a powerful emotion that still made him feel shaky inside.

:angelic: ^_^ AWWWWW That was so cute!!!

“Jack I came in here today to discuss my future and I can't see a future for me without your daughter in it. So I sit here today asking for your daughter's hand in marriage and your blessing." Vaughn finished and watched Jack’s face for any sign of emotion.

Ohhhhhh he's brave ;) lol -_-

UPDATE soon! and thanks for the PM!!! :woot:

wow yay a new chapeter! aww that was really well written. I loved the jack moments when he was thinking about sydney. It was really great thanks for the pm and update soon.

Back