Tiered pricing *will not work*

How do you feel about Tiered pricing and the like?

• If it ISN'T in I won't play!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As i've said before on these forums and elsewhere, i'm generally very against tiered pricing. But, if Simutronics really feels that they can make a better game with a tiered pricing model, more power to them. I lived with it in DR since the beginning of the web service so I suppose I could live with it in HJ.

I do hope that if they do decide to implement a tiered pricing model that they at least level the playing fields on each server. Segregating the people who want to pay more on their own server would help ease the tension created by a tiered pricing model, although it could create a difficult process for people wanting to upgrade tiers.

So basically i'm against tiered pricing in any form but I will live with it in HJ if i must. I do feel however that it could hurt the games potential user base, because alot of the potential players would not be so forgiving as i am to such a pricing model.

What REALLY bothers me, however, isn't so much a tiered pricing model that allows some people get more features for a higher monthly fee. Something else is even more dreaded to me, and its also something that we already know almost for sure will be in HJ.

What you ask? Here's a snippet of the first Hero's Hall Q&A:

Hero's Hall:
14. When it comes to content it seemed as if you did excellent in your previous MUD titles. However, there is a huge difference when its a graphical MMORPG instead of a text-based MUD. Will you still be able to create content quite often? Will there be free expansions? Will there be expansions?

Simutronics:
That will fall mainly to our GameMaster staff. We expect to do events that are free and ticketed events. Major content upgrades (new races, new professions, etc.) will be released as expansion sets.

Of course, this is subject to change as business plans move forward and impose other criteria.

Yeah. Ticketed events.

I might pay an extra few bucks a months for a tiered pricing system that was done right. But one thing I would never, ever, ever do is pay a fee for a one-time opportunity to go on a quest or raid. And if these ticketed events are like the ones in DR, some of the best, most unique items in the game came from ticketed events.

Events that cost RL cash for tickets unbalance the game in favor of those more willing to spend RL cash moreso than any tiered pricing model i could think of. People who do tickted events get better items, more money(from selling said items), and more opportunities at fun than the average user.

A good alternative to ticketed events, i think, is what EQ2 does with adventure packs. You pay a one time fee, but get permanent access to the content, not just one time access.

So i guess even ticketed events won't stop me from playing HJ if it turns out to be even half of what its expected. It will, however, leave a small, bleeding hole in my heart knowing that those willing to fork out RL cash for tickets will have access to more game content than me.

I've heard a lot speak out against tiered pricing, havn't seen much discussion about ticketed events. I'm surprised at that since a developer pretty much already said HJ will have them.

Thoughts on ticketed events?

I have the same opinion on ticketed events as I do with tiered pricing. It won't impact me either way. I never paid for a ticketed event in Dragonrealms because they typically run for one or two days and I can't set aside that much time to play. I only play about 10 hours a month. I have not come across anything in the game that I couldn't do because I needed an item that was only available from a ticketed event. How does the event impact my enjoyment of the game?

I think that ticketed events, tiered pricing and endgame content that caters to people that play 16 hours a day fall into the same catagory.

Complete Suckage.

If any of those 3 appear in HJ, I will probaly not play. I actually have less tolerance for playing something that ends up being EQ than maybe the stuff involving cash, since I have alot more cash than time. Of course most people see it in the opposite light, for the same reason.

Both are pretty lame, and I want no part of them in HJ.

I don't know. If it was cheap, say, $5 or something, I might be willing to shell it out for a ticketed event. After all, I drop $7 on a movie...which is an arguably shorter experience.

Simutronics is creating a game in my eyes. Not a carnival. Of course I would have the money to shell out for a ticketed event, and would have no regrets. However, couple that with $15 a month, and it can get spendy. There are other things in life in which I do enjoy, and forcing me to spend $30 a month so I can keep up with the competition is no way to play.

I'm sure Simutronics will come up with something that would cater to the sterotypical gamers, or they wont have a player base that will support the amount of money put into Hero's Journey. Even if all of the GS players, DR players, and a few rogue players were willing to go through that. I belive that the game would have to cancel itself out becuase of how much it wouldn't sell to the general public.

It's Simutronics call, not mine though, so best luck to them.

What bothers me so much about ticked events is, for example, in Dragonrealms, seeeing someone selling a single reward from a ticketed event for 10x the amount of money i've ever even had at one time. So it took that person a couple hours to amass the same amount of money it would take me 100 hours to amass.

Anyway, to sum it up, I guess i sort of see it like this:

If tiered pricing, ticketed events, etc. = more money for simutronics, and
more money for simutronics = a better game even for those that pay only the basic price,
then so be it.

But, if tiered pricing, ticketed events, etc = less customers for HJ, and
less customers for HJ = less money for simutronics, and
less money for simutronics = a worse game overall,
then HJ might not end up being the game for me.

I want this game to be as good as it can possibly be no matter what pricing models they decide to use. I just have to hope and pray that whatever choice is made on this is the best for the game. So if tiered pricing and ticketed events actually makes for a better game, i'll still be playing. But even if they do go in, and work out good for the game, it will still negatively affect my enjoyment of the game just knowing that people willing to spend more cash are gaining an advantage over me. And i honestly can't see how anyone who doesn't do ticketed events won't feel at a disadvantage to those that do them, detracting from the enjoyment of the game for many people.

So yeah Frosty, i agree, best of luck to Simu with deciding on this issue. I think it could easily make or break the game.

Originally posted by Morneblade@Jun 22 2006, 02:33 PM
I think that ticketed events, tiered pricing and endgame content that caters to people that play 16 hours a day fall into the same catagory.

Complete Suckage.

If any of those 3 appear in HJ, I will probaly not play. I actually have less tolerance for playing something that ends up being EQ than maybe the stuff involving cash, since I have alot more cash than time. Of course most people see it in the opposite light, for the same reason.

Both are pretty lame, and I want no part of them in HJ.
I think you are in trouble Mourn...Simu I think is very very likely to do both tier pricing and pay events. It is a system that has worked very well for them so far in other games. I personally would rather see one flat price, but would welcome pay events.

Gron

Originally posted by Ikiru@Jun 22 2006, 09:22 PM
it be nice if they used ingame currency instead of real cash. It'd be a nice money sink I would think.
That would be an awsome idea if they would do that. A huge money sink, keep the economy in balance, and EVERYONE could participate, and have something to work towards.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but Hero's Journey simply can't create tiered servers, nor charge for extra events, when it is first released. If the game is a success, then they might consider it.

Right now they are just concentrating on getting the game out for the main core of players. Simutronics isn't that well known, and we all know success for a game depends largely on word of mouth. Concentration for release has to be on the playability and enjoyment, so word will get out.

For me, adding extra costs would definitely spoil my anticipation for HJ, even if I didn't have to join in the extra events. I would hate to see that trend start. Ack! :angry:

I remember somewhere, reading that they're not after class balance at all, but rather, equal balance of "interesting". Hmmmm... I'll have to dig up that article... oh:

HEROSHALL.COM

"Balance is always a challenge when you differentiate by profession in anyway. And perfect balance washes away most of the uniqueness; things just become variations on each other, but from a mechanics standpoint, identical. So instead of trying to make things perfectly balanced, we instead work to make each profession combination interesting within its conceptual space. Couple that with our liberal way of handling level differences within a party, you end up with a very powerful gameplay gestalt that cannot be handled separately."

To me, this means that giving out unique and powerful items to those that attend paid ticketed events, unbalances things, even if temporarily. But, it doesn't appear balance is a must-have. I could be reading things wrong...

~ Jaraeth

Simu's MUD's currently give out (via a variety of methods) very strong, unique items at ticketed events. They also do free events that give out the same. But you do increase your chances of getting something at a ticketed event. Not all events are the same either, some are more RP oriented, others Weapon/Armors oriented, others Quest oriented.

I have asked for unique items to be released in game by NPC's but the GM's are afraid to be accused of favoritism, so they came up with merchant events, etc. Most of these events have a very random way of distribution.

Gron

Originally posted by frostydf2+Jun 22 2006, 06:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ Jun 22 2006, 06:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ikiru@Jun 22 2006, 09:22 PM
it be nice if they used ingame currency instead of real cash. It'd be a nice money sink I would think.
That would be an awsome idea if they would do that. A huge money sink, keep the economy in balance, and EVERYONE could participate, and have something to work towards. [/b][/quote]
If they used in-game currency, how would newbies afford it?

There are lots of things newbies can't afford in an MMO right off the bat... like mounts or housing. It would be far from extreme to add events to the list of things you'd have to save up for.

Originally posted by Riceman+Jun 22 2006, 09:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Riceman @ Jun 22 2006, 09:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by frostydf2@Jun 22 2006, 06:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ikiru
@Jun 22 2006, 09:22 PM

That would be an awsome idea if they would do that. A huge money sink, keep the economy in balance, and EVERYONE could participate, and have something to work towards.
If they used in-game currency, how would newbies afford it? [/b][/quote]
What if there were two options to pay?

RL cash for those who are poor IG

and IG money for those who are poor RL?

Great, so you have to "grind" to afford this stuff, or just pay extra cash, like I would to that Korean gold farmer we all know and love.? WTF happened to "more fun, less tedium"?

Teired pricing, ticketed events. Just say no to ALL of it. Or enjoy your unpopulated, single server. People will run like rats from a shinking ship of HJ does any of these things.

I see it this way. I am already paying for access to the game, why shoud I have to pay even more for content that I should be getting along with the monthly fee that I AM paying.. What the HELL am I paying for in the first place?

I don't know where to stand on this subject. I'll definatly be sending this thread link along to the Simutronics folks to look over, but I really don't know which side of the fence is better.

Back