Tiered pricing *will not work*

How do you feel about Tiered pricing and the like?

• If it ISN'T in I won't play!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Daax said:
Well, if they're trying to get a big audience, they're doing one bang-up job of it. >_>

Seriously, HJ isn't going to have much of a launch if they don't start getting more word out soon.

Updates :-oo

Too true. However some form of word needs to be spread, and they need something to filter the word to where it should go, a little bit here and there, not a ton of it in one place and in no other. If you get what I mean (you prolly won't almost no one does).

This line of thought is pure BS.

The announcement of beta, and the way that will get the community focused on the game for several months is going to be HUGE in, and of, itself. It's almost all the pre-publicity a game needs.

So this whole line that they need to do more now or no one will know about it is, I think, just another way for people to try and get information now - not really a heartfelt feeling people are having.

Ikiru said:
it be nice if they used ingame currency instead of real cash. It'd be a nice money sink I would think.

That makes me think of how CCP the creators and owners of Eve Online allowed people to GTC in game for in game cash. A really cool idea that made it possible to never use real money if you made enough in game.

The cards are reasonably priced too as far as Eve goes.

blur said:

The announcement of beta, and the way that will get the community focused on the game for several months is going to be HUGE in, and of, itself. It's almost all the pre-publicity a game needs.

So this whole line that they need to do more now or no one will know about it is, I think, just another way for people to try and get information now - not really a heartfelt feeling people are having.

I agree with that for the most part. I do think there are still some that really want it.

blur said:

If there were updates, besides: we are working on it. It will be out when it comes out. Here are some screenshots or desktop artwork, that is really what folks are looking for. Heck now there is a thread wondering what the next January update will be.

I think HJ's stalling because.. 2 E3s ago they made a big splash. Last year they tinkled in the waters. Now, they're saving for another big splash at E3 or some similar expo when the time comes around. It's a great way to get your name out into the proper community.

That's sort of similar to what I was saying a few months ago, re: the next E3. It's how we got into the whole discussion about how the next E3 will actually be a serious event and not the circus of the last 5-10 years.

I wouldnt have a problem with tiered pricing, depending on how its implemented.... higher price for a special RP server that is much better enforced would be ok with me.... the ticketed events thing i'm not sure about, depends on how they implement it.

The current prices for thier MUDs aren't going to fly in an MMO world. They have to compete with the big dogs. People still play their MUDs because they enjoy the free and RP environment. But most of the people that I know play GS for 5-6 months and quit for a year, then go back for 5-6 months etc.

With an MMO, I'd hope they would have two tiers....

1) 9.95-14.95 - Tier 1 (Prime), this includes 5 to unlimited character slots. IF they include some sort of a FFXI system where you can change jobs with the same character, then I'd say you can charge for additonal slots, but if not...
You get access to the prime servers - there ARE RP prime servers, but it is only midly enforced (naming convention, etc).

2) 14.95-24.95 - Tier 2 (Platnium), this includes 8 to unlimted slots. You get access to the Platnium RP ONLY servers, and Platnium Fallen Servers (Limited GM interaction, free for all, no scripting or 3rd party tool use rules enforced). In Platnium RP servers, RP is strictly enforced. Naming convention, absolutetly no OOC chat, sort of a test-bed for new ideas - things get implemented here first.
Also if you have a plat HJ subscription you get prime-level access to the other Simu games included. However, you cannot play two different games on the same account at the same time.
Same for the plat services on other games, if you pay for that, you get prime-level access to HJ and all the other games included.

Anything higher than 25 dollars for plat service nobody will pay. I'd pay 25 dollars a month for a guarenteed RP server and access to their other games.

One thing you CANNOT DO, Simu... Trust me on this one. You cannot have two people on the same server with different benefits for play. The Plat people can play on the prime servers, but they get absolutely no special treatment for doing so. Ex: Prime and Premium in GS. It just causes friction, and upsets your players. The heavy RPers world of GS semi-tolerates this, but this is a big reason why you guys went from 3000 people on a night to 600.

I'm against segregating players in any fashion. I'm still waiting for the MMO where you can log into any server with any character on your account (no more having to reroll because your friends are on a different server).

I also don't like the tiered system because it's just another way to separate players. This is one of the major factors that may prevent me from HJ since I know Simutronics already has a history of tiered pricing. Unless the game is extraordinary, I just don't see the vast majority of the people paying extra for small bonuses.

You know, we have no information and half the populace says they will not play. What a lovely sight... -_-

Saying "I won't play if Simultronics does this or that" Is not remotely helpful to anyone. It is their game, they will do what they feel is right and your discussion helps in a way, but being biased does not help.

You know, we have no information and half the populace says they will not play. What a lovely sight... -_-

We are discussing the ins and outs of tiered pricing, not "I won't play if Simultronics decides to do this or that."

(Accidently posted twice when I meant to edit my original...gah, wish I could delete this. Sorry...)

Yes, but what is a discussion without bias? If everyone had the same position, there would be no discussion. You are saying that people who say "if you do this I won't play" have no impact, while people who offer other opinions do? Why? Is one opinion more valid than another?

Also, don't forget the title of this thread is "Tiered pricing *will not work*" not, "Let's nicely discuss tiered pricing"

Unsegregated servers would work if you could see the latency of each server and decide which to play on. Or else one or two servers will have 90% of the users.

However - the idea behind having a character on a server, and not being able to easily transfer, is to create a player community, not just a player base. You want to have a community feeling - like in a small town. Not a 'nobody ever knows anything' feeling - like in a big city. I'd rather the small town community feeling myself.

I won't play HJ if there's an assed up pricing scheme involved.
I'm still following the game based on the fact that I may get to RP. I don't like what I know of the game system. I absolutely hate the class system. Plus I don't see anything innovative coming from any other aspect of the game. If I have to pay more for *more fun, less tedium* then the plain fact of it all is.. I won't play.
And yeah I can play a game with what I'd consider cut corner game mechanics if I enjoy the community and the events taking place in game.
So you saying it won't have an impact? Sorry, paying cash for something and not feeling like you're getting the whole product is a MAJOR decision maker for a lot of folks.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that there will not be tiered pricing..

Can't remember where exactly. I believe it was on the official forums. I may also have dreamed it up.

Yes, but what is a discussion without bias? If everyone had the same position, there would be no discussion. You are saying that people who say "if you do this I won't play" have no impact, while people who offer other opinions do? Why? Is one opinion more valid than another?

Also, don't forget the title of this thread is "Tiered pricing *will not work*" not, "Let's nicely discuss tiered pricing"

"if you do this I won't play" is not an opinion, it is a fact in most of the posts here...

A discussion without bias *is* a discussion. People in real life always have things you don't if people in general would like to pay a bit extra to bonus material in the game let them. Tiered pricing in no way harms anyone if the game stays true to the core concepts. Just pay the base fee, not playing the game because there is a FEATURE you can't use or obtain is just pointless, especilly since it is just like raid content. Pay a little more and get fun bonus material, spend more time and get raid items...pretty much the same.

Personally tiered pricing is fine, so long as the game works and what they said about roleplay is implemented in a good fashion. That is the only reason I am even here. If there is no roleplay then it is just a soullesss game. Tiered pricing in itself affects very little if they keep the core principles they have dictated so far.

I think everyone just wants a game that stays true for right now. Tiered pricing is just fluff in the air. By all means eat my post up. :smiley:

Back