Timing is Everything

la la la...

Chapter Five: the Call

“Sark, you bastard!” Sydney yelled into the phone.

“Calm yourself,” Sark said lazily in the truck while Ellie massaged his shoulders and neck.

“What did you do to him?!” Sydney asked furiously.

“Oh, nothing,” Sark said as he looked at an unconscious Michael who was tied to the chair in the back seat of the van at a pitstop twenty minutes away from the hotel.

“And I’m supposed to believe that?” Sydney said sharply. She took a deep breath and walked over to her laptop computer and turned it on.

“Don’t try to track the call,” Sark said. “I hear your computer loading.” Sydney slammed the screen down and jumped up. She wiped her first tear of exasperation of her face.

“You don’t know me as well as you think you do,” Sydney said.

“Just relax,” Sark said, ignoring Sydney’s statement. “Stand on that balcony and look at the view. And think… he’ll never see it again.” And Sark hung up.

Sydney almost threw her cell phone as she hung up, but then Weiss called.

“Hello?” Sydney said sadly.

“It’s Weiss. I got Kendall here,” Weiss said.

“No good,” Sydney muttered.

“Huh?” Weiss said.

“Sark has him,” Sydney explained.

“Where could he be?” Weiss mused.

“Put the phone on the speaker,” Kendall ordered. Weiss obeyed.

“Miss Bris- uh, Mrs. Vaughn, what was that you just said?” Kendall asked, not bothering to be polite.

“Sark has him,” Sydney repeated. “We have no intel at all. For all we know, he’s not even with Sloane or Derevko.”

“I realize that,” Kendall said loudly. “How do you know that Sark has Vaughn?”

“He called me,” Sydney put in.

“Did you track the call?” Weiss asked.

“I couldn’t,” Sydney admitted.

“What the hell?” Kendall yelled. “Anyway, what did he say to you?”

“Just that he had Michael,” Sydney said. “And that I should relax. And also Michael wouldn’t see the sun again.”

“Really helpful, isn’t he?” Weiss commented.

“Shut up,” Kendall said.

“Yep,” said Weiss.

“What can we do?” Sydney interrupted.

“For now, nothing can be done. I’m sorry,” Kendall said shortly.

Chapter Six: Inside Sark’s Psyche

Aren’t I just the clever one, Sark thought to himself. I think that Ellie must be very proud of me, not to mention what it is going to do for CEF. I think a promotion is near at hand. Oh wait, I’m already at the top. How stupid of me.

“Sark, mon cher, que pense-tu?*”

“Oh nothing darling, just how wonderful it is to be here with you, that’s all.” Don’t get the wrong idea, Sark loved Ellie, but he loved himself too. Sounds conceited, no? Well, I’m just being honest, thought Sark. Everyone else who claims that they aren’t in the least bit concerned about self preservation is lying. All the successful people think about themselves at least fifty percent of the time if not more.

“So what are we going to do?” Ellie said in reference to their prisoner. They way Ellie talked, she cut off the ends of the “to do” like all French do.

“Well, for now, we’re going to keep him alive. He’s actually just bait for the larger prize, Sydney.”

“I hope you aren’t insinuating that she is more important than I am…”

“Oh, I would never dream of doing such a thing. After all, who would I be able to conspire with or love then?”

Ellie’s eyes blazed with fire. “Anna Espinosa.”

Sark sounded slightly hurt. “Darling, you know that she is not the object of my affections as you are.”

“I suppose you are telling the truth,” Ellie sighed. “Sometimes it just seems that you must have feelings for her by the way that she blatantly flirts with you. She obviously wants you.”

“Don’t you worry your head about that. There is no need to be jealous. She doesn’t know anything really about CEF. Anyway, she is much too old for my tastes.”

“C’est vrai?**”

“Oui.” And Sark planted a quick peck on her cheek trying not to divert his attention from the road.

*Sark, my dear, what are you thinking?

**Is it true?
Yes.

Chapter Seven: Lonely Girl

“Lonely Girl” by Pink

I can remember
The very first time I cried
How I wiped my eyes
And buried the pain inside

The sun was still rising, reminding Sydney of the day before.

All of my memories
Good and bad is past
Didn’t even take the time
To realize

Staring at the cracks in the wall
‘Cause I’m waiting for it all
To come to an end
Still I’ll curl up right under the bed
‘Cause it’s taking over my head
All over again

Sydeny thought about her love. It kept her alive. She breathed because of him.

Do you even know who you are
I guess I’m trying to find
A part of a dream of a superstar
I want to be a star
Is life good to you or is it bad
I can’t tell anymore
Do you even know what you have

Suddenly, Sydney put her chin up, and stood tall. She walked inside and picked up her cell phone.

Ring. Ring. Kendall didn’t pick up. Sydney nodded. Good. She didn’t want his help, or his command to stop. The answering machine picked up.

“Kendall,” Sydney said in her message. “I’m going for him. Don’t try to stop me, or things won’t go well. Bye.” She hung up and a slow smile spread over her face.

Lying awake
Watching us alive
How the birds will sing
As I count the rings… around my eyes
Constantly pushing the world I know inside
I don’t even feel the pain
I don’t even want to try

I’m looking for a way to become
The person that I dreampt of
When I was sixteen
Nothing is never enough
Baby it ain’t enough
For what it may seem

Sydney put down the phone and gathered her clothes. She packed the preordered room service in a bad and left the hotel after checking out.

I’m still trying to find
Everybody wants to be
I can’t tell anymore
No…

Sydney went to the airport and sat down to wait by the Air France ticket sales. She knew that Sark would call back eventually.

Story, girl
Tell the tale for me
‘Cause I was wondering
How you really fell

I’m a lonely girl
I’ll tell the tale for you
‘Cause I’m just trying to make
All my dreams come true

Sydney waited. And waited.

Yea
I wanted to be a star
I can’t tell, I can’t tell anymore
I guess not, I guess not

And then her phone rang.

-----------------------------------------------------------

by the way sorry it took me so long. kate will post the next chapter soon. :smiley: thanks for hanging in there...

Chapter Eight: Vaughn’s Story

Sydney quickly picked up the phone. “Hello?” she said quickly.

“He’s going to die,” a woman’s foreign voice came over the phone line and then it went dead.

Sydney’s POV

My heart started pounding like crazy again. They’re just trying to shake me. They’re not going to kill Michael, at least not yet anyway. Don’t let them get under your skin.

Who could that have been that called? I know that I’ve never heard that voice before, but she must be working with Sark. I wonder who this new enemy could be?

--End POV—

Sark and Ellie had reached the CEF headquarters that night before. They had placed Vaughn in solitary confinement after scanning him for bugs.

Vaughn had been very confused when he had woken up in the back of a dark truck cuffed to the wall. He had urgently looked around for Sydney’s familiar face and when he didn’t see it, the events of earlier that day flooded back to him. He had been at the pool with Sydney and had decided to go the bathroom and that’ where everything went black. He could only assume that he had been kidnapped.

Now, in his cell just having had his meager liquidy breakfast deliver to him, all he could think about was Sydney, his beautiful, intelligent wife. He hoped that she would not come after him because he had a feeling that Sark only captured him to get to Sydney. And if she was captured… he didn’t even want to think of what they might do to her.

Where was he anyway? Judging by the surroundings, Vaughn thought he was probably in the mountains, most likely the French Alps. He wondered why Sark had taken him there. He didn’t know that Sark, Sloane, or Irina ran any operations or had any contacts in the region. Unless, Sark had broken away and decided to do his own thing… What a nightmare! It was bad enough when they were all working together, but now they were all separate organizations. Things were getting more complicated by the moment.

Chapter Nine: Jealousy

Sydney was no nearer to finder her husband at that moment than she had been the second she had realized he was missing.

She left the airport and rented a room at a small inn. She ate, drank, and watched some TV. But Sydney could only kill time, so eventually she sat staring at her cell phone. Late that night, she fell asleep at the table.

Meanwhile, Anna was flying over the Atlantic at a steady pace towards France. All the way, she planned what she’d say to her former handler, Sark. She would flirt. There was only one person in her way: Ellie Arbre, the French girl.

By now, the truck had reached the lodge and Sark and Ellie unloaded. Once inside, Ellie snapped her fingers and a man brought a napping Michael Vaughn into the building. Ellie turned to Sark when the men had gone to reprimand him about Anna and things. Instead she got a big kiss, which she didn’t try to stop. After a few minutes, they stopped. Ellie pulled the strap of her shirt back up.

“Does that make you believe me?” Sark asked softly. “I don’t care about Anna at all.” Ellie nodded and led him seductively away.

Anna was now taking a taxi from the airport to the lodge in a hurry. She kept fixing her hair of lipstick, wishing she had her old body back. She wasn’t far now.

An hour later, Anna checked her hair one last time and then stepped out of the taxi. However, Sark wasn’t there to welcome her like she had imagined. She waited five seconds and then stomped inside. Sark was nowhere to be seen. Just then, a giggling Ellie stumbled out of a room at the far end of a hall, wearing a halter top and jean shorts, even though it was very cold. Then Sark came out wearing jeans and no shirt.

“Ahem,” Anna coughed. The two stopped laughing and spotted Anna.

“Oh hi,” said Sark.

“Humph,” said Anna, and she stalked off to the room that was prepared for her. Sark shrugged and Ellie raised her eyebrows.

“Are you going after her?” Ellie asked stiffly.

“Nah,” said Sark playfully. “I’m going to stay here with you.” And he began to kiss her neck.

Chapter Ten: Sydney's Realization

Anna couldn’t believe Sark. How could he just leave her hanging like that? She always thought that she was the only one for him. So how could he go off with this other girl, Ellie. Sure, she was younger, French, pretty, blonde, had mysterious eyes with dark lashes…It must be that Anna wasn’t in her normal body anymore. There must be some way to win Sark back. And she knew just the thing. She was going to find Sydney and take her out.

Once Anna settled into her room, she looked out the window to see the wonderful white snow cascading down outside. She wished that Sark were in the room with her instead of with that Elle. She would show her what being a spy really meant. Anna then lit a nice warm fire and slipped in between the soft mattress and her warm comforter.

The next morning, Anna woke up and went down to the lodge’s main restaurant to have some breakfast.

Unknown to the populace, the famous French ski resort, Avoriaz, was actually the headquarters for CDF. This was a very good location for them because no cars were allowed to get very far up that section of the mountain, so they didn’t have to worry much about car bombings and enemies easily approaching.

Just as planned, there were instructions on the back of Anna’s napkin telling her where Sydney was and what to do once she caught her. Anna gingerly took the napkin and inconspicuously tucked it into her coat pocket and proceeded to eat breakfast.

Once Anna had finished, she set off down the mountain in a snow bunny. When she reached the bottom, she jumped in her car and started driving. She didn’t have to go very far because Sark had called Sydney the night before and told her to wait at the airport.

*FLASHBACK*

Ring. Ring. “Hello?” Sydney answered.

“If you ever want to see your beloved again, go to the airport near Avoriaz and by baggage claim number 13,” Sark said.

“Ill be there.”

“Excellent.”

*END FLASHBACK*

Sure enough, there was Sydney waiting at baggage claim 13. At first, she seemed surprised to see Francie, but then a realization swept through her. Her eyes flashed angrily and she aggressively walked over to where Anna was standing.

Sydney hissed, “You killed Francie.”

Anna’s expression acknowledged this fact.

“You’re going to pay for that,” Sydney said in a whisper.

“Not as badly as you are.”

Back