• Right after starting to grow plants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A year after to make sure that there is enough food

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

caters

Ensign
So far I have chapters in my Kepler Bb story about these life events:

• Events from death of Robin's parents to leaving for the wilderness at 6 years old(chapter 1)
  • Events from death of Lisa's parents to surviving in the wilderness at 15 with a lone wolf by her side(chapter 2)
  • First time meeting each other for years and marriage(chapter 3)
  • Building their home and surviving together(chapter 4)
  • Debate about when to have a child(chapter 5)
It is this last one that I need help with. Specifically, I am wondering if Lisa should become pregnant right after they get major progress in their home and start building the baby room and growing fruits, vegetables, and grains, or if she should wait a year. Lisa wants to become pregnant right away but Robin wants to wait a year. This is 1 of their few non-physical differences.

If Lisa becomes pregnant right away, there is a higher chance of a miscarriage, preterm labor, or stillbirth and even if this doesn't happen, there might only be enough food for Lisa and Robin, not Lisa, Robin, and the baby.

If she waits a year, there won't be as much risk but she will be impatient.

So should Lisa get pregnant right away despite the risk or should she wait a year and then do it?

In any closed system sustainability is paramount. Therefore I voted for 1 year after.
There will have been a steady supply of seeds produced by then to assure planting future crops plus she will know the common yield of the crops that thrive.
It will also afford time to cross pollinate for variation. Assures diversity of diet.
It will also reveal yield storage issues and storability of the crops.
It will also allow leeway in finding the most nutritional preparation methods to assure a healthy child.

If she waits a year, there won't be as much risk but she will be impatient.

I highly doubt she would be impatient to the point of jeopardizing survival.
Because:
*Events from death of Lisa's parents to surviving in the wilderness at 15
Plus the influence of her mate
*Events from death of Robin's parents to leaving for the wilderness at 6 years old

Both will have a strong sense of survival that will override impulsive dangerous acts.
Even at 15 (in puberty) she had to learn to survive. Such an impact has a great influence on
impulsive tendencies.
I believe she would be very cautious and act with assured determination at all times.
Robin even more so.

Everything these two do will be carefully planned and considered.
They will be lasting actions and set ups for future planned actions.
She will not get pregnant because she knows better.
The decision to do so will be a very long and thought out process with many considerations and a whole list of things they decide must happen beforehand.
They can't afford to make a mistake.
They will have learned that mistakes have dire consequences.

This topic is strange to me, but there it is. Never put your cart before the donkey it just wont work.....;)

Back