tips for safe traveliing

scifichic

Scout
We are planning our honeymoon and are thinking about going to either Fiji or Tahiti. We are not decided but those are destinations we are looking forward to visiting. But while we were looking for places to go to, we came across some safety tips for overseas travelers. You can never be too safe these days and hopefully some of these tips will come in handy.

Travel Safety Tips

Traveling to unfamiliar destinations can bring to you the sort of troubles you do not want to experience while on the road namely: robbery, rape, or murder. Tourists often fall prey to perpetrators because they do not prepare properly before embarking on a trip. With the recent occurrences of violence and kidnapping of tourists in Mexico and parts of Central America, just thought I would post some tips:

links to current articles/ news about Dangers traveling to MEXICO and the SOUTH

PACIFIC:

Mexico (near the border) is notorious for tourist violence:

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-california-travel/mexico-travel-warning.htm

Current Developing Story of South Pacific murders:

http://bit.ly/2MOYCR

Here’s some tips:

Safety begins when you pack. To help avoid becoming a target, do not dress so as to mark yourself as an affluent tourist. Expensive-looking jewelry, for instance, can draw the wrong attention.

Always try to travel light. You can move more quickly and will be more likely to have a free hand. You will also be less tired and less likely to set your luggage down, leaving it unattended.
Carry the minimum number of valuables, and plan places to conceal them.

Taxis. Only take taxis clearly identified with official markings. Beware of unmarked cabs.

Trains. Well-organized, systematic robbery of passengers on trains along popular tourists routes is a problem. It is more common at night and especially on overnight trains.

If you see your way being blocked by a stranger and another person is very close to you from behind, move away. This can happen in the corridor of the train or on the platform or station.

Resources for U.S. Citizen Crime Victim

If you become the victim of a crime overseas, contact the nearest U.S. embassy, consulate, or consular agency for assistance. Also contact local police to report the incident and obtain immediate help with safety concerns.

STAY SAFE OUT THERE!

Congratulations on the upcoming honeymoon! The wife & I went to Paradise Island in the Bahamas for ours and are looking forward to going back one day.

In addition to not wearing much jewelry I would also add not lugging around a big camera around your neck. If you insist on bringing a camera to questionable locales then use a small pocket camera that you can easily sneak & out of your pants pockets without anybody noticing. Even if you are dressed down with no jewelry, most people will still stand out as a tourist if they are visiting local shops with a big DSLR camera dangling from a cord around their neck.

Thanks! We try not to stand out as much as we can but it's tough when you're a tourist. This is why I posted these tips since some people still insist on doing it their way and then land trouble onto their laps.

After watching this news report, we became concerned and had second thoughts about going there. Did you see this? Check it out. http://bit.ly/2MOYCR

But it sounds like you had a good time.

Thanks! We try not to stand out as much as we can but it's tough when you're a tourist. This is why I posted these tips since some people still insist on doing it their way and then land trouble onto their laps.

After watching this news report, we became concerned and had second thoughts about going there.
Depends on the locale and the common sense of the tourists.

Did you see this? Check it out. http://bit.ly/2MOYCR ]
News like that is one way of spoiling a 'perfefect getaway' vacation. ;)

But it sounds like you had a good time.
We did indeed.

Depends on the locale and the common sense of the tourists.

News like that is one way of spoiling a 'perfefect getaway' vacation. ;)

We did indeed.

I agree with you complete on the location. That's what I meant in the previous post. Maybe it read weird. Some tourists simply either over do it or are beyond naive where they don't realize they are targets. I don't want people becoming an extension of the news clip. I want people's experiences to be positive like yours. That's the whole goal of my post.

Back