Title of HP's 1st book

lullaby

Cadet
I've never read HP before and I'd like to now. It's about time I hear you say! :blush:
well, I looked for the 1st book online and found 2 different titles. Which one is the right one? HP and the Sorcerer's Stone or HP and the Philosopher's Stone??

Pholospher was the original title and when JK got the publishing deal in america the publishers thought that the would 'Phlospher' would put children off reading it as they thought it was too complecated a word.

Get whichever one they sell in your country- they're basicaly the same it's just Sorcerer's in the US and phlospher everywhere else.

Thank you guys for the quick replies!

Btw, I'm French but as I love English and have been studying it for a couple of years now, I wanna buy the book in English, and I think that nothing tops the original version of a text ... or a show (like Alias) as long as you understand the language ;-)! I don't trust translations, I prefer reading the very words that were written by the author.

MeganGarnerBristow said:
I agree 100%....I live in America but I bought the UK versions when my friend went to London cause I needed the originals! haha
[post="1426102"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Is the UK version all that different from the US version? Because if it is, I'm gonna read that one too.

Well, I certainly wouldn't have thought so. But then Meg said that she went out of her way to get the UK version, which made me wonder if the language at least changed, in how things were stated, if not the storyline.

:P She's right, it's just some language that's changed, things we (Americans) don't say in conversation, phrases, words, whatnot. I still want copies of the UK editions though after all the books have been released. ^_^

Well, the US versions also cut some things out. Like in PoA we find out what vault number is Sirius', they don't tell it in the American version.

There's also longer dialogue in HBP, but I wont get into that because this isn't a spoiler zone.

omg. we are getting shafted here. Ok, definitely have to get the UK version then. And I have the US audio version, and having heard both the UK reading of previous books and comparing it with Jim Dale's rendeition of HBP, I have to say Jim Dale blows compared to Stephen Fry.

Really? I love Jim Dale! Hahaha...anywayz....the reasons I got te UK versions were previously stated and cause just naturally I'm a HUGE fan and wanted the UK versions too! haha

really? that Sirius number thing is true?

whoa... I never realised... well in Australia, we get the UK versions... and I don't know about you, but if suddenly the book started spelling words like "color" "meter" and "favour", lord knows I'd probably rip the book up :rolleyes: that just REALLY annoys me... no offence to Americans

xinli11 said:
omg. we are getting shafted here.  Ok, definitely have to get the UK version then.  And I have the US audio version, and having heard both the UK reading of previous books and comparing it with Jim Dale's rendeition of HBP, I have to say Jim Dale blows compared to Stephen Fry.
[post="1426989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yeah no one can beat stephen fry for reading books... he does the best readings of everything :D

Bubbles said:

whoa... I never realised... well in Australia, we get the UK versions... and I don't know about you, but if suddenly the book started spelling words like "color" "meter" and "favour", lord knows I'd probably rip the book up :rolleyes: that just REALLY annoys me... no offence to Americans
[post="1428334"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I would too juju. It isn't right.

But you spelled favour correctly there! :lol:

i totally agree with you. but what really preves me off is when you are writing a word document an the language is set to US instead of AUS, every time you open a new document

Back