To all VG refugees or others interested!

I think (I'm not sure) in WoW, the guildmaster has full control even if he/she gives massive control to the officers. There's no way to go against the guildmaster because they always have the veto power. They control everything. They can even alter privileges of officers. I don't know if GM control can be transferred around.

I do know in CoH/V, you could have multiple GMs with equal control where one GM couldn't overpower (kick, change status...etc) another GM. As a result, one GM couldn't abuse their power because, well, they didn't have the power to do so.

Whatever HJ has in plan, it's important that whoever gets the GM position is someone who is tactful, diplomatic, not emotional in their decisions, objective, fair, dedicated to the game and willing to abide to the OOC council and members even though they will have the real power of the guild. I had an extremely bad experience with a terrible GM in the past because he was utterly irrational and would love to avoid that from happen again (not that anyone here is crazy but I thought I needed to add this input).

I like the idea of an OOC council which loosely runs the guild. In fact, having a leaderless IC guild could result in some interesting RP stories as long as the members keep drama to a minimum.

Hello, sir, my name is Kuzzle. I don't believe we've met. ( :D )

Ok, I was thinking... I wonder if they'll give equal control to each Clan leader, having them in charge of only their clan, and have one person in charge of the clan leaders. Or something...

The goal should be, and I believe in fact is, to not have any member at all prone to creating drama or who would dream of going tilt arse crazy with guild master powers much less give that person any OOC power :smiley:

As Momma said, to even get in we'd all need to know the person ICly and OOCly as well. Hopefully that gives us the sort of people you want to party with all the time, that you long in and hope see every last one of them online cause you know it just equals more and more fun.

Is it a possibility that... oh say Vahsyl wishes me dead cause I painted a giant ant on his DragonRealms fanboi hat so he tells everyone that I stole Momma's cookies. And then Momma (who has not had her cookies that day) screams and kicks everyone out declaring that no one shall be allowed back in until her cookies are returned. Tyrson, who's upset that anyone bothered messing with Momma's cookies when they're obviously hers calls us all names, says "Screw you. I'm going home" and we all cry while through it all Anom whines because there isn't a shotbox in game for him to camp? Actually you know... that's quite possible. :D

As Momma said, to even get in we'd all need to know the person ICly and OOCly as well. Hopefully that gives us the sort of people you want to party with all the time, that you long in and hope see every last one of them online cause you know it just equals more and more fun.

Very true. And since we have lots of time considering HJ isn't even in beta yet, there's plenty of opportunity to learn about one another. Now when a few months have passed and no one here is trying to strangle one another or if we've all equally turned insane like Kuzzle, then we're in good shape.

Everyone's messing with my cookies!?

I've never let my temper go to the point of "kick everyone out of the guild". In fact..That was my problem with the other guild..I wouldn't kick anyone out. My "leaders" enjoyed kicking their friends out and re inviting them for fun! I took a test to see what sort of leader I was..it said "somewhere between democratic and lazze-faire". And here I had thought I was more authoritarian! Either way, if I were the one to make it and control the "power", I wouldn't even tell anyone not in the counsel that I had the toppest powers. It wouldn't matter, and they don't need to know so nyah nyah nyah..

And now, I shouldn't be the one to make it just in case there isn't a way to give full equal leadership five ways and transport it around.

Is it a possibility that... oh say Vahsyl wishes me dead cause I painted a giant ant on his DragonRealms fanboi hat so he tells everyone that I stole Momma's cookies. And then Momma (who has not had her cookies that day) screams and kicks everyone out declaring that no one shall be allowed back in until her cookies are returned. Tyrson, who's upset that anyone bothered messing with Momma's cookies when they're obviously hers calls us all names, says "Screw you. I'm going home" and we all cry while through it all Anom whines because there isn't a shotbox in game for him to camp? Actually you know... that's quite possible. :D

What you don't know is that I stole the cookies! Mu-ah-ah-ah-ha!

Whatever HJ has in plan, it's important that whoever gets the GM position is someone who is tactful, diplomatic, not emotional in their decisions, objective, fair, dedicated to the game and willing to abide to the OOC council and members even though they will have the real power of the guild. I had an extremely bad experience with a terrible GM in the past because he was utterly irrational and would love to avoid that from happen again (not that anyone here is crazy but I thought I needed to add this input).

Don't look at me. I'll be on the Council but if there can only be "one leader" <gulp gulp gulp> ... <rubs eyes> I'm sure someone else would rather do it, Mm?

And this DID happen, in Vanguard. I can't hide the truth and pretend like the others anymore... besides I'm so sick of the damn ant.

I just know if I re-enter DR again... these two are going to jump me and I'll wake up with page boy's outfit, that looks like I belong to "House Ant."

No, if you entered DR again we'd just hug you and weep. And I could finally get that dunce cap and jesters hat out of my darn vault.

We've been kinda AWOL from these boards, but we are of courses still totally up for this (duh) :smiley: I've been playing my empath like a fiend, and Tyrs has been glued to our PS2 playing Tales of the Abyss for three days...and that whole "real life sucks" thing.

I just caught this thread. If HJ is such that I can play a character with my wife AND on my own and not leave her in the dust, I'll be interested. That way I can totally get into one character and not feel the need to come up with alts. I have 10 on my EQ2 account and I 'borrowed' 3 slots from my wife's account to get the full spectrum I wanted. That game, however, is more gameplay focused than anything. For HJ I'd need a grand total of two characters - my main, and my incognito for when I want my fans to give me a break. Or something like that.

If you want to make a true leaderless guild, then don't make a guild in-game!

What I mean is, make a guild in game, but don't use their mechanics for it. So what if your guild name doesn't appear above your head?

Everyone in the guild will know everyone else in the guild if you develop a good out of game mechanism (website, mailing list, whatever) for guild discussions, etc.

You can even rp the heck out of it, being a guild in game that no one else knows the name of.....only rumors whispered in dark alleys or uttered by lips loosened by ale. The guild doesn't have to be evil.....just mysterious... unknown...... invisible to the masses.....

Of course, this idea presupposes that guilds registered in-game do not get advantages so great that they cannot be passed up. And I'm not talking about guild halls, etc. Those can be worked around if you really want to. I'm talking rewards or powers that non guild types cannot gain access to.

Does any of this make sense?

Llil

What I mean is, make a guild in game, but don't use their mechanics for it. So what if your guild name doesn't appear above your head?

Everyone in the guild will know everyone else in the guild if you develop a good out of game mechanism (website, mailing list, whatever) for guild discussions, etc.

You can even rp the heck out of it, being a guild in game that no one else knows the name of.....only rumors whispered in dark alleys or uttered by lips loosened by ale. The guild doesn't have to be evil.....just mysterious... unknown...... invisible to the masses.....

Of course, this idea presupposes that guilds registered in-game do not get advantages so great that they cannot be passed up. And I'm not talking about guild halls, etc. Those can be worked around if you really want to. I'm talking rewards or powers that non guild types cannot gain access to.

Does any of this make sense?

Llil

I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand how it effects being leaderless. Someone making a guild is the same as someone making a website for the people that would be in it. The reason for having an actual guild in game is that, even if it's not entirely recognized icly as a guild, knowing you're tied by that still has an effect. At lest, it has always made me feel like I am more loyal to those people. Silly, yes, but it is just how I've always been.

Besides, it may someday turn into an ic thing and then maybe a guild hall would be nice, but I doubt the characters would ever call it a "guild" so much as a "gathering".

I was suggesting that by not making use of a game's mechanics you take away, at least in game, the chance that if someone with the authority gets their nose bent out of shape, they boot someone from the guild, with no discussion or whatever, and voila...instant drama. I know, I saw it happen back in EQ2.

Without the in game mechanism, it would take a concerted effort to ostracize someone who had violated guild rules or whatever since you couldn't just click a button and presto.

More opportunities for rp!

I'm not saying the guild would be leaderless, but it does remove that instant removal mechanism that could get abused in the heat of the moment. Governing would have to be more of a consensus issue, thus making choosing those that you invite to the guild (ie reveal its existence) have much more relevance.

Just idea popping here.

Interesting thought and I do see some merit in it.

I think the biggest hurdle to what you are suggesting is the special advantages a guild provides in-game because of the mechanics.

Back