Politics Too much influence on UN?

My friend thinks the UN is going to take over the world. (lol) Do you agree?

• Um, no. Ha ha.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The UN is an important part of the worlds international relations. What the hell is your friend talk

• Yes! Haven't you seen the evidence of an eeevil plan?

• What? Hmm...

• No comment.

• Other.

• Total voters
i think that the UN does not have enough power. it should be able to override decisions that certain world superpowers make such as going into Iraq after the UN said "No!"

the_alliance said:
i think that the UN does not have enough power. it should be able to override decisions that certain world superpowers make such as going into Iraq after the UN said "No!"
The un didnt say no. France, Germany and Russia said no. ANd France and Germany are on the security council, each with the power to veto anything. It just takes one dissenter.

The un is pointless, inept and corrupt.

the UN is an important tool for peace. however, it's in danger of becoming obselete, when major world powers like the US ignore it's resolutions

I think the UN doesn't have enough power. It's a good thing because almost all the countries are members, even if only Chine, France, US, UK and Russia are on the security council. I think the UN can do something to change the world, even if a certain person (Bush) thinks it's useless. Maybe the UN can prevent another war, like the one in Iraq. We need UN.

PS : Sorry for the mistakes, I'm french :blush: .

why wont it ever work

Because it is run on an intergovemental basis. It is not a body that has taken power from governments. It realies on internal agreement to exist.

In the end intergovemental bodies will fall. Like the League of Nations.

And I don't think France is a permanent member of the security council or Germany? I could very well be wrong though

noggi16 said:
And I don't think France is a permanent member of the security council or Germany? I could very well be wrong though
France is a permanent member of the security council. Germany is, I don't how to explain it. They can vote and everything but they don't have the power to veto. The five members of the SC are :
-China
-France
-Russia
-UK
-US

Alias Anna said:
Sorry about the lameness. How do you like the UN? :lol:
The UN is a pointless system with a brilliant idea. It doesn't work in practice. You can't expect a bunch of countries' representatives, each with their own agendas, to sit in a room and possibly come up with a solution to world problems. It doesn't work.

And Iraq was not an official war. War has not officially been declared since WW2. However, Bush did get Congress aproval.

aliaschick4mv said:
Alias Anna said:
Sorry about the lameness. How do you like the UN? :lol:
The UN is a pointless system with a brilliant idea. It doesn't work in practice. You can't expect a bunch of countries' representatives, each with their own agendas, to sit in a room and possibly come up with a solution to world problems. It doesn't work.

And Iraq was not an official war. War has not officially been declared since WW2. However, Bush did get Congress aproval.
If my memory is correct, the UN was created after the second WW because the world wanted to prevent another war. I think that the UN isn't useless, look at what happened in the Balkans. It's EU and America who decided to stop Milasovitch (sorry I don't know how to write his name :blush: ). Then it's the UN that sent soldiers to keep peace in the country between the different parts of the population. So as you can see the countries can agree on something.
Oh, I forot something, even if the war in Iraq wasn't an official was, now the US are trying to involve the UN in the constitution of a new government.

Just to straighten people out, the UN is made up of 3 major Organs - the Security Council, the Economic and Social Council, and the General Assembly. The General Assembly has repressentatives from everyone of the UN nations. It is in charge of UN reformation and anything not in control of the other major and numerous minor bodies. The Economic and Social Council is made up of a sampling of the member nations, and it is in charge of anything that concerns the world economically of socially, women's rights, children in armed warfare, genetically modified organisms etc. The security council is the only council that can enforce anything - it has it's own small force of peace keepers donatied from member nations. It is in charge of dealing with critical world events, wars etc. It is made up of 15 representives. the five perminent members are France, UK, US, Russia, and China. The other ten countries change. The General Assembly chooses the countries and no country can serve 2 consectuive terms. There are quotas for each region, and the currant members are Germany, Chile, Angola, Pakistan, the Philippines, Romainia, Spain, Algeria, Benin, and Brazil. For a resolution to pass seven countries need to vote yes and no perminent members can vote no, they must vote abstain or yes. The most frequent vote for these powers during the cold war was abstain, it is VERY rare for a vetoing power to veto. By signing the UN charter every member nation MUST accept the Resolutions passed by the SC. There is much talk in the General Assemby for SC reform, some ideas are to increase the number of vetoing, perminant members (three possible nations are Japan, Germany, and Brazil), increase the number of non-perminant members, or invent a new "class" of non-vetoing, yet perminent members.
Unlike the LoN the UN is fluid, it can, and does change it's charter, it adds new nations and minor organs, and it deals directly with non-governmental aid organizations. The resolutions from the AG and ECOSOC, though only suggestions to governments, it is the closest thing to an international ethics police.
To learn more about this great system go to Welcome to the UN. It's your world.
Or better yet look up a model UN near you! It's a great program for people from 6th grade to grad. school all over the world, if you are older the local program needs Secriatriate members. This way you can learn about how the UN is run first hand. Model UN HQ

Back