top 20 sci-fi movies

I'm surprised to see almost no mentions of Minority Report - a brilliant film in my view and an interesting concept in the first place. Like Blade Runner, based on a Philip K Dick story.

On the other hand, why does anyone rate Wall-E? Saw it with my sons when it first came out and we were very disappointed. Yeah it looked good, but few other merits!

But where you mention a modern Blockbuster film (Minority Report) I want to know where Outland (Sean Connery) and Runaway (Tom Selleck) are in peoples lists!!!

Having had a few thoughts I'd like to add the following:

The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986 version)
Mars Attacks! (weird and wonderful. The ending is brilliant)
War of the Worlds (Speilberg) though not the ending, which although faithful to the original story just seems lame compared with the rest of the film

I also rate the JJ Abrams films: Star Trek and Super 8

Re some earlier posts, I don't see how anyone can include Lord of the Rings in a sci-fi list! (Though it is amazingly brilliant - just hope The Hobbit lives up to it)

But where you mention a modern Blockbuster film (Minority Report) I want to know where Outland (Sean Connery) and Runaway (Tom Selleck) are in peoples lists!!!

It's all a matter of opinion, but I didn't like Minority Report. It's been years since I've seen Outland or Runaway, both good movies, but edged out by the flicks making my list of favorite sci-fi (or in some cases, sci-fi/horror) classics. It's kind of difficult to narrow down a list of favorite movies in any category. You'll notice that I left off any super hero movies. The closest I came on this list was Men In Black. The reason I left off any real super hero movies, even though most could qualify in the sci-fi category, is because they really have a sub-genre category all to their own. There have been quite a few outstanding super-hero movies made, but I would have run the risk of letting that type of entertainment overtake my top sci-fi movie list.

I enjoy making these lists, but for me, I really have to narrow it down because there are so many sci-fi flicks I like.

Top 20 Sci-Fi (in no order - plus I'll mention ones not listed by other members)

Split Second (1992) - A mysterious and monsterous killer stalks London in the near future. My favorite Ruger Hauer movie next to Blade Runner.

Galaxy of Terror (1981) - Wild and weird space horror movie. Stars: Robert Englund, Sid Haig and Ray Walston

Green Slime (1969) - Rapidly multiplying monsters attacking a space station. Featuring one of my favorite B-movie actors, Richard Jaeckel.

Starchaser: The Legend of Orin (1982) - Humans vs androids in this galactic animated adventure.

Prometheus (2012) - An incredible prequel to the ALIEN series.

The Avengers (2012 - Marvel superheros in a live-action movie, I loved it.

Iron Man 2 (2010) - Tremendous sequel which also included other Marvel characters the Black Widow and War Machine. Amazing cast with Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Sam Rockwell, Mickey Rourke, Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlet Johansson.

Captain America (2011) - Super cool to see yet another great Marvel superhero in live-action. Excellent film!

Spider-Man (2002) - Director Sam Raimi did a fantastic job bringing New York's web-slinger to life. I like this movie far more than The Amazing Spider-Man.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) - Extremely improved movie compared to the slow drama of the 2003 film. Great action and exciting to see the Abomination battle the HULK.

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) - My favorite giant monster helps Earth battle against an alien invasion. Godzilla fights many of his old foes.

Mystery Men (1999) - Very funny comedy about superheros in the near future.

Message From Space (1978) - Far-out weird yet cool space adventure, inspired by Star Wars. Stars: Sonny Chiba and Vic Morrow.

Leprechaun 4: In Space (1997) - Actor Warwick Davis returns to help create one the strangest movies ever made.

Event Horizon (1997) - Actors Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill appear in this gory space film.

Day of the Triffids (1962) - Excellent film about a meteor shower blinding people along with giving rise to dangerous plant monsters, very clever idea.

Gamera: Super Monster (1980) - You have to be fan of the giant flying monster turtle known as Gamera to look at this mutant's strangest movie. This film borrows ideas from Superman and Star Wars, then throws in clips from previous Gamera films into a oddball mix of goofy fun.

As an added bonus on the DVD, the lovely horror movie host ELVIRA, comments about the film.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - I dressed up as Indiana Jones when this movie came out and I was thrilled to see another action-packed Indy flick. Ancient aliens, I loved it.

Horror Express (1972) - Actors Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Telly Savalas star in this very cool movie which was inspired by the story "Who Goes There?", written by John W. Campbell (which was also made into The Thing From Another World (1951) and John Carpenter's: The Thing (1982).

Zeram (1991 - a.k.a. Zeiramu) - A female bounty hunter from space travels to Earth to capture a bio-engineered fighting machine, but things get messed up when she runs into a couple of human repair men. Violent, gory and sometimes funny, but a great film.

1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Star Wars IV
4. Matrix
5. Terminator 2
6. E.T
7. Back to the Future
8. Terminator 2
9. 2001: A Space Odyssey
10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

:cool::cool: It would be hard to name my "Top 20" but there are some movies that compel me to see them over and over again, like striking a hidden memory. They are:
2001: A Space Odyssey
"Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind"
"The Day the Earth Stood Still"... ALL versions (even a British version)
:cool::cool::cool:

No particular order

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth
2. Solaris (1972)
3. La Jetee
4. Starship Troopers
5. 2001
6. World On A Wire
7. Alien
8. Prince of Darkness
9. Altered States
10. The Thing
11. Videodrome
12. The Fly
13. Halloween III
14. The Viewer
15. Bladerunner
16. Darkstar
17. On the Silver Globe
18. Star Wars: Episode V
19. A Clockwork Orange
20. They Live

1) The Core
2) Terminator 3
3) I Robot
4) Men in Black 3
5) Men in Black 2
6) Men in Black 1

Will add more when I can come up with them.

I don't know, if I can do it up to 20.
1. Star Trek - all series and all movies.
2. Star Wars: Episode V
3. Battlestar Galactica
4. Alien
5. Aliens
6. Star Wars: Episode VI

Back