Drama Transamerica (2005)

Alias_Gay

Ensign
Title: Transamerica

Tagline: Life is a journey. Bring an open mind.

Genre: Drama

Director: Duncan Tucker

Cast: Felicity Huffman, Kevin Zegers, Fionnula Flanagan, Burt Young, Carrie Preston, Elizabeth Peña, Graham Greene, Venida Evans, Jon Budinoff, Raynor Scheine, Danny Burstein, Maurice Orozco, Stella Maeve, Teala Dunn, Grant Monohon, Paul Borghese, Andrea James, Amy Povich, Bianca Leigh

Release: 2005-12-23

Runtime: 103

Plot: Bree is about to get a sex reassignment surgery that will finally allow her to actually be what she’s already been in her mind for a long time: a transitioned woman. Yet before this happens she suddenly runs into her son who ends up coming for the trip across the United States.
Transamerica (2005)

Hollywood is going GAY ... we have coming up movies like "BrokeBack Mountain" where Jake and Heath will actually heat up the big screen with "their" romance and we also have Felicity Huffman playing a man, wanting to become a woman ...

Felicity HUffman Finds Herself

Nov. 22, 2005

America has gotten to know Felicity Huffman as the uncomfortable mom Lynette on "Desperate Housewives." However, many of her fans might be in for a shock when they see Huffman's new movie, "Transamerica."

In the flick, she plays Bree, a pre-op transgendered man about to undergo the final transition into becoming a woman. Huffman admits she was "lost" when she first got the role.

"I started reading every article I could get my hands on, I saw every documentary I could and I think I read every biography and autobiography I could find," she says. "I started going to transgender conventions, because as with any segment of society, there's a wide spectrum and Bree was in a particular place, so I wanted to see a lot of different transgender women."

Making the naturally beautiful Huffman look more masculine was actually easier then anyone expected. The difficult part was finding the right "voice."

"One thing the hormones do not change is your voice, so you can look like Kate Moss -- and some of these transgender women do, they're incredibly stealth -- but you sound like James Earl Jones," Huffman says. "So, there's a lot of training out there about finding your female voice, because you don't want to sound like Tony Curtis in 'Some Like It Hot.'" (Laughs.)

Huffman became so immersed into the part she at times even forgot whom or what she was.

"Towards the end of filming, I walked into the ladies room in full regalia and went 'Wow, I'm not supposed to be here' and I walked out," she says. "Then I said 'Oh no, I am' and walked back in again. It took me twice before I said 'OK, I'm actually a woman' and walked into the ladies room. That was sort of frightening." (Laughs.)

Even more difficult was the transition from shooting "Transamerica" to beginning shooting the mega-hit "Housewives." Huffman had shot the "Housewives" pilot first, but then went into production on the movie before the show had been picked up.

"If you watch the first four or five episodes, I am not good," Huffman says laughing to herself. "[The show] has a certain voice and it's a certain sarcastic, loving, wicked, twisty voice and you need to play with that and I came in a little heavy handed. Plus, I kept answering to Marcia Cross' character, Bree." (Laughs.)

Already an Emmy winner for "Housewives," Oscar buzz is building for her role in "Transamerica." Is Huffman ready for all the inevitable movie offers that are about to come her way?

She smiles and says, "To quote my husband [fellow actor William H. Macy], 'I will kill you if you take a movie on your hiatus.' So, unless I want to take my life in my own hands, I don't know yet."

"Transamerica" opens in limited release on Dec. 2.

A conservative transsexual woman comes to find out that when she was a man, she fathered a son and the boy is now a teenage runaway hustling on the streets of New York and dreaming of meeting the father he never knew.

Production Status: In Production/Awaiting Release

Genres: Comedy and Drama

Running Time: 1 hr. 43 min.

Release Date: December 2nd, 2005 (limited)

MPAA Rating: R for sexual content, nudity, language and drug use.

Distributors: The Weinstein Company, IFC Films

Production Co.: Belladonna Productions

Filming Locations: Los Angeles, California, USA
New York, New York, USA
Southwest United States

Produced in: United States

Can't wait to see this movie ... especially for what the story-line is, but since its a gay-themed movie, which we dont get as much ... and since Felicity Huffman already won a Best Actress Award at rge TriBeca Film Festival for this role ... and the Oscar buzz for her performance is equally amazing ... (y) (y)

'Housewives' Star Huffman Wins at Tribeca

"Desperate Housewives" star Felicity Huffman won the best actress award at the Tribeca Film Festival Saturday for "Transamerica," in which she plays a preoperative transsexual woman on a cross-country road trip.

The Chinese feature film "Stolen Life" and the documentary "El Perro Negro: Stories From the Spanish Civil War" were among the other top winners.

Also honored at the awards ceremony were the best new filmmakers: Alicia Scherson, who won for the narrative feature "Play," and Jeff Zimbalist and Matt Mochary for the documentary "Favela Rising."

Director Li Shaohong's film "Stolen Life" ("Sheng Si Jie") follows a young woman who leaves home for college, only to be deceived by the man she falls in love with.

"El Perro Negro," from Hungarian director Peter Forgacs, is about Catalan industrialists who tell their own history through home movies.

The winners in the top four film categories each receive $25,000 prizes.

In the best-actor category, Cees Geel won for "Simon" from the Netherlands, about a gay man and a straight man who rekindle their friendship after many years.

Among the judges in Tribeca's fourth year were Sheryl Crow, Whoopi Goldberg and actor Michael Imperioli. More than 250 films were shown during the 13-day festival, which ends Sunday

Ohhh! I really want to see this one too. I'm glad Hollywood is finally tackling some issues that many of society find "taboo".

I think this will definitely not be one to miss :smiley:

Ohhh! I really want to see this one too. I'm glad Hollywood is finally tackling some issues that many of society find "taboo".

I think this will definitely not be one to miss :smiley:
I've known about this film welll since filming lol My future husband Kevin Zegers plays Felicity's son! I love that it's getting rave reviews but the downside is he's been attending events w/ his gilrfriend...whatever lol I bet some Air bud fans are going to be shocked at the things that he does in the film. Heheh.

Jamison, when will Jake and Kevin realize that we're the ones and leave their plain janes behind?! Because we is HOT! :lol: ;) Fo' realz!

I've known about this film welll since filming lol My future husband Kevin Zegers plays Felicity's son! I love that it's getting rave reviews but the downside is he's been attending events w/ his gilrfriend...whatever lol I bet some Air bud fans are going to be shocked at the things that he does in the film. Heheh.

Jamison, when will Jake and Kevin realize that we're the ones and leave their plain janes behind?! Because we is HOT! :lol: ;) Fo' realz!

Amen to that, sista! ;)

Amen to that, sista! ;)

So, like brokeback, I wonder how many theatres are going to refuse to show this flick. It also shares another similarity, the focus isn't completely on FH's character! Even Kevin said the film is great for everyone who has felt like an outsider or a "freak".

I also love that Hollywood is starting to produce "taboo" movies like this. And to have an actress like Felicity Huffman in it makes it even better. I remember reading many many months ago about this and it definitely looks good. Felicity will probably receive an Oscar nod. I'm going to definitely try to see this!