Travel in HJ

Aries

Cadet
I personally don't want to be able to teleport to the farthest parts of the world for just
one gold piece. I enjoy running from place to place seeing new and exciting things on
the way. I think that "teleportation" should be very expensive, and it shouldn't be able
to teleport you 2 feet from were you want to go. As for travel over large distances,
I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of air balloon/airship type contraption. It can be fun
being on a airship with 7 other people waiting to reach a destination.

I agree, I prefer a slower form of travel. There are times when traveling here to there gets monotonous, but it's still my preference.

One of the questions I'm pondering is HJ uses instances and zones doesn't it? To what degree? is travel as we think of it from WoW even possible?

I also like the voyage just as much as the destination. If it was up to me I would enjoy having to camp for a night for the long trips, to avoid the danger of bandits or enemy factions on the road. I hope there put the "journey" in Hero’s Journey.

From what I've read of HJ they are going to be zoned and quests majority done in instances.They could still have single flying transports like WoW(gryphon/wyvern)from zone to zone if they wanted I'd think.I hope they do have some form of flying transport to get a nice sky view of the areas I enjoyed it in WoW.

Well... can't say I agree with this one. Personally, it's fun to explore certain areas your first few times through but after a while it becomes a royal pain in the ass. I'm spoiled having played DAoC for so long, they slowly added ports to every major zone in the game and it costs nothing to utilize it. I think a mix of porting and inactive mount transit (horse route in DAoC, bat/griffin in WoW, etc.) is sensable.

Speaking of mounts, wonder if there will be any controlable mounts in HJ...

Alright, I'm going to go back to the early years of my MMORPG career. Final Fantasy 11.

In Final Fantasy 11 it was awsome to hit level 20 becuase then you could finnally do your Chocobo quest. Once you had your Chocobo quest you could finnally have a controlable mounts! That was awsome, I loved it.

At 30 you could finnally do your Airship quest. While it was a pain in the butt, it was still fun working towards!

I belive there shouldn't be an easy way to do everything, however it should be in moderation. WoW you could travel pretty much anywhere in a matter of minutes which wasn't too bad, but you didn't have to work for it at all. In Lineage 2 the controllable mounts required hundreds of hours of dedicated work.

Past that hardly any games I have played have had mounts of any kind. Teleportation is kinda nice, but soon ruins the immersion factor.

if most of it will be instances and such then there isnt a whole lot of need for teleports and such. plus if they implemented road between major cities and all that then they could have different things set up like ambushes and such that would make the game more interesting and keep you on your toes while you travel to your destination. just not auto spawn ambushes on you when you step on a certain area but make it random anywhere. that way it would make mounting/walking to your destination more intense. you never know what is around that bend!

I am going to have to side with Nocturnal on this issue. Travelling in mmo's should be somewhat fast but still allow a bit of exploration. Where daoc is right now is near perfection for travel. You have multiple types of ports, mounts, and even classes with speed so that they can help a group travel faster. Which goes to say that i believe HJ needs to have speed classes. And if it does, hello necromancer/bard. But yeah, instant teleportation is no fun, but neither is running for hrs just to get where you want to go. And trust me, i know what it is like to travel by foot for over 20 minutes; its called from Svasud Faste to Skona Ravine pre portals and hourse routes out there (Daoc).

Sounds like fun... but I can see myself getting very frustrated. The first few weeks of getting randomly ambushed in the midst of your travels might be exciting, but I can see myself throwing my computer monitor out the window if such an encounter is a struggle.

I know when there's high lvl aggro along the roads when my low lvl character is legitimately trying to traverse to a new area, it's very frustrating to have to dodge and maneuver every little thing. Let's face it, all one really wants is to get to their destination and be done with it. Mabye I'm alone on that one... I hope if such things are implemented they can find a happy medium.

Just seems to me that traveling, atleast once you've seen a given area so many times, is very boring and monotonous. It's not so bad when you uncover checkpoints along the way. At least then, you have to make the trip once before you've unlocked your eagle tower checkpoint (just an example - kinda like EQ2). You also have to consider though, when you make alternate characters, you've already seen these stupid areas once before, you just want to save yourself the timesink and get to where you're going ASAP.

Let's take WoW for example. Uncovering flight paths on alts is such a task... I just hope Simu is very careful when implementing new ideas for travel.

Originally posted by Nocturnal@Mar 2 2006, 04:48 AM
Speaking of mounts, wonder if there will be any controlable mounts in HJ...
A quote from Melissa Meyer regarding mounts from an MMORPG.com interview:

"Similar to items, mounts will provide a player with additional abilities while the mount is in use. The player will likely find some of their typical abilities unavailable, as they would be inappropriate for mounted combat. (A jumping, spinning attack may be fun on the ground, but it’s a whole different thing while trying to balance on the back of a horse.) As with all inventory, players will be able to select the appearance of their mounts as well as advance their mounts abilities."

Originally posted by HJ-Cirakin@Mar 2 2006, 06:16 PM

"Similar to items, mounts will provide a player with additional abilities while the mount is in use. The player will likely find some of their typical abilities unavailable, as they would be inappropriate for mounted combat. (A jumping, spinning attack may be fun on the ground, but it’s a whole different thing while trying to balance on the back of a horse.) As with all inventory, players will be able to select the appearance of their mounts as well as advance their mounts abilities."
Awesome, thanks for pointing that out. It makes perfect sense that one won't be
able to utilize all of ones abilities on a mount. Also being able to select the appearance
of your mount will add to the mood of things. As a heavily armored knight I sure
as heck don't want to be riding around on a donkey.

Originally posted by Aries+Mar 2 2006, 06:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aries @ Mar 2 2006, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Cirakin@Mar 2 2006, 06:16 PM

Awesome, thanks for pointing that out. It makes perfect sense that one won't be
able to utilize all of ones abilities on a mount. Also being able to select the appearance
of your mount will add to the mood of things. As a heavily armored knight I sure
as heck don't want to be riding around on a donkey. [/b][/quote]
Well so far Simutronics has been trying as hard as they can to not have any clones. I have no idea why they would stop that idea with mounts. I think a ranger looking character wont look too great on an iron clad horse, same as a player in shiny metallic armor wouldn't be riding a horse clothed in leather.

I hope you'll be able to customize your mount, and if not at release in a future expansion possibly?

My question is with that quote, will there be combat via a mount?

Originally posted by frostydf2@Mar 2 2006, 08:36 PM
My question is with that quote, will there be combat via a mount?
It is currently planned, Yes.

I'm not sure if it will be available at release, however.

Honestly that would be amazing to have a jousting competition possibly, or fight a mob on a horse :smiley:

I dunno, hopefully we can see it on release. I would definatly wait awhile to see it implemented in the proper way. Would it be possible to comment on the customization possibilities of a mount? Is anything in development?

Long boat rides crossing water can be a real bore but an aerial veiw across land is a plus. It is one of the things I like in EQII. It gives you an Idea of the lay of the land.
I Like the cross-country treks as well and believe that some foot travel should be encouraged. Perhaps including some random quests which can be discovered through exploration.

Originally posted by Volfie@Mar 4 2006, 09:42 PM
Long boat rides crossing water can be a real bore but an aerial veiw across land is a plus. It is one of the things I like in EQII. It gives you an Idea of the lay of the land.
I Like the cross-country treks as well and believe that some foot travel should be encouraged. Perhaps including some random quests which can be discovered through exploration.
I agree, and also the same treck over, and over can become very tiresome. It gets old to see the same tree, in the same spot, notice the same mobs, at the same place, with the same people, fighting the same mobs, next to that same tree.

Get where I'm going? Thats where the 500+ GM's come in.

Originally posted by frostydf2@Mar 4 2006, 06:29 PM
I agree, and also the same treck over, and over can become very tiresome.
I kind of enjoy when there's a sense of "distance" in games. In Gemstone, getting form the west side of the world to the east involves a trip that takes a good hour no matter how fast your travel script is. It got to a pain, sure, but it also encourages people to hang around a specific town or region, making a part of the world their "home," and I do like that concept. Taking up residence in a then-newly-released region in gemstone (that only a minority of the population had moved to) is responsible for a lot of my fondest memories of that game.

Back