Travel in HJ

Originally posted by GOAT+Mar 4 2006, 11:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GOAT @ Mar 4 2006, 11:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-frostydf2@Mar 4 2006, 06:29 PM
I agree, and also the same treck over, and over can become very tiresome.
I kind of enjoy when there's a sense of "distance" in games. In Gemstone, getting form the west side of the world to the east involves a trip that takes a good hour no matter how fast your travel script is. It got to a pain, sure, but it also encourages people to hang around a specific town or region, making a part of the world their "home," and I do like that concept. Taking up residence in a then-newly-released region in gemstone (that only a minority of the population had moved to) is responsible for a lot of my fondest memories of that game. [/b][/quote]
The trek from The Landing to Elven Nations in Gemstone was about 45 minutes, but there was something about it that made it not so bad to undertake every once in a while. The most boring part was probably the 'cart ride' in which you did nothing to interact, you just sat in the cart and waited for the trip to take you to the other side.

That said, the 'cart ride' is a lot like travelling in WoW..excruciatingly boring/motonous. The flight paths are unnecessarily long..to go from Darkshore to Theramore takes about 12 minutes :(

I hope Simu is able to find a good intermediary between the boring 'no control' parts and areas that can be dangerous/harmful if you're too low..but not too dangerous that you can't make it through as a lowbie, as long as you're careful.

I hope Simu is able to find a good intermediary between the boring 'no control' parts and areas that can be dangerous/harmful if you're too low..but not too dangerous that you can't make it through as a lowbie, as long as you're careful.

I think an easy way to add something like that but not ruin the immersion is by adding roads that are guarded. Possibly have a group of 2-4 guards patrol the road, but only one patrol. Don't want a million guards or that would ruin everything, and possibly if you are walking along the road and you get attacked by something the guards will help if they are in your line of sight?

Just an idea, but I think that would help with the immersion, and making it safe to travel through certain areas.

Personally I think EQ2 did an amazing job with travel. It is a zoned game, and you can't fly across zones, but you can take Griffons to zone walls. I think that it would be great to have a person dicover a grif tower before they are able to travel there...much like WoW. Also in EQ2 in certain zones you had to complete a little griffion quest to be able to ride the grif. This makes it so a person has to explore the zones initially, but once done, they can fast travel to where they've been. Also EQ2 griffs were free to fly.

Anyhow, I thought they were using Teleportation in HJ for fast travel?

Back