Politics Tsunami could hit West Coast

I studied tsunamis in a geology/geometry class my first year in college, as well as in earth science in HS. There has always been a danger of a tsunami hitting the west coast, as well as the east coast. But just because the tsunami devestated asia does not necessarily mean that the west coast is next. I'm not quite sure why CNN would publish that article now.

victoriaellis said:
LOL

But there were some wealthy vacationers there.

Here's a site that lists the most powerful earthquakes since 1900 or so.

http://wwwneic.cr.usgs.gov/neis/eqlists/10maps_world.html

This one that caused the tsunami was ranked only 5th. So I highly doubt that it knocked to world off the axis.

How big do some people think the earth is? The size of a basketball?
[post="1139247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
actually the quake did knock the earth off of its axis. it's been on the news several times actually

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Tsunam...l?oneclick=true

--Mandy :angelic:

yeah, the earth's axis was tilted by an inch, but technically, the earth's axis is always changing, because the insides are liquidish so the axis is always moving around.

i saw the funniest thing in my local paper today. it said that if a tsunami were to occur in the bay area, a few blocks in western SF would be flooded and only low lying areas in the south bay would be flooded. in reality, the waves (if they were to start somewhere near the Philippines) would have MUCH more time to accelerate than the one in Asia did so realistically, SF would be completely washed away (most of it anyway) and the South Bay would also be flooded because of the momentum of the waves. i think that the Merc just didnt want to scare the public OR they meant if the waves were to start somewhere off the shore of SF.

but i still think that the earthquake is far more likely.

mystery_chick said:
actually the quake did knock the earth off of its axis. it's been on the news several times actually

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Tsunam...l?oneclick=true

--Mandy :angelic:
[post="1139320"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_world/artic...3434528,00.html

To tell the truth: 'Facts' stretched about quake aftermath
By JIM ERICKSON
December 30, 2004

The entire island of Sumatra jumped 100 feet to the southwest. The Earth was knocked off its spin axis. Global sea levels surged.

Those are a few of the claims that surfaced after last weekend's magnitude 9.0 earthquake and the killer tsunami that followed.

Pretty amazing stuff. Problem is, those claims aren't true, according to the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo.

The information center has been overwhelmed by calls from reporters and the public since the devastating megathrust earthquake ruptured a 600-mile-long slab of sea floor off the coast of Sumatra.

The center-run Web site (earthquake.usgs.gov) received an unprecedented 15 million hits Sunday, 18 million hits Monday and 10 million hits Tuesday, according to David Wald, a seismologist at the U.S. Geological Survey center.

"I hesitate to use the word inundate. But it's been chaotic here," Wald said.

When interacting with the public and the media, the center's 20 staff members invariably spend part of their time clearing up misconceptions.

Some points of confusion are addressed in a new Frequently Asked Questions list on the survey's earthquake Web site.

- Rumor 1: The Earth was knocked off its axis.

Not true. But the redistribution of the Earth's crustal mass caused by the earthquake likely will have a tiny effect on the planet's rate of rotation, and therefore the length of a day.

Using computer models, Richard Gross of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory has calculated that the earthquake shortened the length of a day by 2.676 microseconds - that's less than three one-millionths of a second.

Gross also calculated that the Earth's rotation axis was changed by an exceedingly small and probably undetectable amount.

"The effect on the Earth's rotation is infinitesimal and obviously inconsequential," Wald said. "You shouldn't lose sleep over it."

- Rumor 2: Sumatra moved 100 feet.

Not true. It was widely reported, based on information supplied by a U.S. Geological Survey scientist in California, that Sumatra moved 100 feet to the southwest.

The Los Angeles Times reported it Monday but later issued a correction, citing incorrect information.

The quake occurred along the boundary between the Burma and India tectonic plates.

The northwest corner of Sumatra sits on the Burma plate and may have moved southwest several yards, Wald said.

- Rumor 3: Global sea levels surged.

Somewhat true. Energy from the Indian Ocean tsunami did, in fact, leak into the Pacific, causing minor sea-level fluctuations there, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii.

The greatest increase - 8.6 feet - was seen in Manzanillo, on Mexico's west coast, according to the tsunami center. While there were temporary, regional surges in sea level, there was no global sea-level rise.

(Contact Jim Erickson of the Rocky Mountain News at Rocky Mountain News.)

I guess I was thinking in much larger terms of the earth being knocked off it's axis. People are making it to be a much bigger deal than it really is.

It is pretty scary, though, that an earthquake could move islands and make the earth wobble. The fact that the earth is that vulnerable is pretty darn frightening.

SecretAgentMan said:
The Earth likes to punish the poor people of the world.  Why are the rich people never punished?  The West Coast is full of wealthy individuals....
[post="1139239"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
yea indeed, totally not fair. it'd be nice if the rich got their share of punishment.

too bad the white house isn't on the west coast :whistle:

whoa! scary thing happened today. there was a 7.0 earthquake 80 miles off the coast of northern california (about halfway from The City to the Oregon border) at 19:50 PDT. for the next hour there was a tsumani alert for northern california.

the scary thing was i didn't find out about it until 21:36 PDT. LUCKILY the alert was cancelled about an hour after the earthquake hit. imagine if it werent cancelled. if it weren't, i probably wouldn't be typing this entry right now.

there was another earthquake in socal today. it wasn't as bad as the one a couple weeks age which was 5.2. today's was only 4.9. i dunno. that's a lot of earthquakes in a short amount of time.

there's a 62.5% chance of having an earthquake greater than 6.7 by 2032 in nor cal. i hope that the one a few days ago was it, cuz an earthquake that big can do major damage. esp a repeat of 1906. but loma prieta was pretty destructive too.

Itz tha Dreila said:
I say "yay"

hit the west coast (and then the east coast)  :P
[post="1387138"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
jEn Jr. said:
well the damage that humans do to the world isn't nearly enough as what mother nature does -_-
[post="1389838"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
so are you supporting mass genocide? (aka. humans need to kill more?)

Itz da MT said:
Of course, Tsunami's can hit anything, but the chance of it happening tomorrow is like 0,0000001
[post="1388166"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
well, techinically it's greater near the coast and MUCH smaller for places like Kansas. what we were discussing is that there were a few siginificant earthquakes in California and off the coast of California earlier this month. as we saw after Christmas last year, major earthquakes in the ocean can cause tsunamis. so we were discussing what if/are we prepared for a tsunami to hit california where the majority of its 30,000,000+ people live on the coast.

ps. i like your European way of the decimal. why can't America be cool like that?

ETA: responses to multiple posts

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

He added specifics in Wednesday's show.

"There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest," he said.

Robertson has come under intense criticism in recent months for suggesting that U.S. agents should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution for Israel's pullout from the Gaza Strip.

What a frackin embarrassment. God says something is 'possible'. Does He not know for sure?

"Lot, it's possible that fire and brimstone is comin' to a town o my choosing."

"Noah, it's a good bet that it's gonna rain. Quite possibly a substantial bit."

What happened to 'Thus sayeth...'

Back