TV Mafia

Galicdreamer

These Words, From My Heart...
I got this game from Kat84 over on the BDB boards. It looks like tons of fun and I’ve adapted it to the TV-verse and have altered it a bit over time.

Golden Rule: Check in every 24 hours.

The basics are as follows:

- There is a Moderator (referred to as the Network Head or NH) and then there are the Innocents (Good Side) then the Mafia (Bad Side). There are always more Innocents than Mafia. The NH will assign all roles. When starting a new game please respond if you want play. Once enough players have signed up roles will be sent via PM to players.
- The point of the game is for the Innocents to lynch all the Mafia members. They do this during the “Day” time. Everyone has a vote of who is the Mafia person. Everyone is allowed to talk during “Day” and speculate over who is in the Mafia. This is when the Mafia plant mischief with the Innocents.
- As soon as everyone has their vote in or the NH has determined 24 hours has passed, it becomes “Night” and nobody posts.
- Night is when the Mafia comes out to play. They are NOT allowed to talk aka post. They can only do this in PM only, unless you want people to know you're Mafia and then they'll know to lynch you the next day. The lead Paparazzo PMs the NH with who they want killed and then the NH informs everyone it's day and there has been a killing.
- The game ends when either the Mafia or the Innocents win. Innocents win if all Mafia members have been killed. Mafia wins if there are as many or more Mafia members than Innocents. (Note: If the self-centered roles are in play, the Talk Show Host will be counted as “good” and the Gossip Columnist as “bad” for these purposes.)

Rules
- Do not post what role you are.
- Everyone has a vote each Day of who to lynch.
- Everyone is allowed to talk during the Day and speculate over who is in the Mafia.
- Day doesn't go into Night unless everyone has posted/voted for the victim or the Network Head rules 24 hours have passed.
- During the Day you may post, talk amongst yourselves and find the Mafia out.
- You vote like so:
Vote: Person X
Or you can change your vote before “Day” ends by voting:
Unvote: Person X, Vote: Person Y.
They also have to be bold so no confusion is given when you're just talking about who you think it is.
- “Night” is when the Mafia comes out to play. - nobody is allowed to talk or post during Night. All necessary Nighttime communication is done via PM
- A note about PMs: There should be no PMing going on in the game outside of the exceptions listed below. There are two reasons for this (1) Mafia members are free to lie to Innocents to make them think they are on the Good Side (in any capacity). In PMing with them, Innocents could be walking into a trap. More importantly is (2) we like to keep everything out in the open for all to see. This makes sure there is a level playing field for all players.
Exceptions:PMs to the NH: Paparazzi PMing who to kill, Writer asking questions, Talk Show Host or Gossip Columnist on who to kill, Producers with their protection votes, Director making a switch, and questions about the game to the SV. PMs between Paparazzi group about who to kill. Thank you for cooperating; let's keep this a fair and fun game for all

- Checking in: Please see Golden Rule.
- First "Day": 48-hour rule still intact. You have 48 hours to check in, vote or I'll take the person out of the game (otherwise the game never gets off the ground).
- "Day": if you don't check in and vote after 24 hours, the vote goes with the majority
- "Night": All Night-voting characters have 24 hours to let me know who to kill/protect/switch or you forfeit that chance. Paparazzi, if one person isn't checking in, go with the majority.
- If you know in advance you're going to be gone, PM me and we’ll figure something out
- Most importantly - have fun!!

Roles

Good Side:

Producer:
Can protect one person a night (including themselves). If s/he protects one of the Paparazzi s/he will lose a life instead. A Producer gets two lives - loss of the second live cause’s death.

Actors: Regular players (No powers. But this could happen to one: Upon dying by Paparazzi, not by lynching, they will convert over to the Paparazzi side. The good side will not know of this change. However I will tell you who the other Paparazzi are. Alternatively, if the game has a large number of players, instead of becoming Paparazzi the Human might be pre-designated to become a Gossip Columnist. In this case the Paparazzi will not be notified, nor will the Gossip Columnist know who the other Paparazzi are. Note: this does not happen all the time, it only happens to Actors who I've pre-designated in my mind that this will happen to and in the case of Actors becoming Gossip Columnist, only if the needs of the game require the role.)

Writer: Communicates with the Ghosts via PM. (You can ask the Ghosts any questions. Just ONE question a Day/Night. What I mean by that is Day + Night = 24 hours. 24 hours = only 1 question allowed. Question must have a Yes or No answer. You are only allowed to give one piece of information out a day.) If the role of Writer is in play, Ghosts are not allowed to post in the Mafia thread.

Director: Can switch 2 people, one of whom may be themselves. (For example, if the Director switches person A and person B, and person A is killed by the Paparazzi, then B dies instead.

Mafia Side:

Paparazzi: Regular Paparazzi. (No powers). At night PM amongst themselves and decide whom to kill. The lead Paparazzo (designated by the NH) will PM the NH to say who the whole group voted for.

The Mogul:
Same as Paparazzi but with one added bonus can bring ONE player back from death. (Resurrecting with this role isn't limited to the dead Paparazzi players. You can bring back anyone you wish. You are only allowed to bring back one in the whole game so pick correctly. The way this works is if you want save a player who is about to be lynched during the “Day,” PM the NH before she writes the death scene. The NH will automatically assume if it is The Mogul who is about to be lynched, they will want to save themselves. At “Night,” if you have a save left and are attacked, I will assume they will want to save themselves.

The Blogger: The same as a Paparazzi, but involuntarily kills (regardless of side) whoever targets him/her during the “Day.” The Blogger will be one of the Paparazzi, but the Paparazzi will not know who the Paranoid one is.

Roles That Can Be On Either Side:

Comedian: Adds humor to the game. (This character will change with every game. Rhyming, using parts of songs, using drinks/food labels...anything weird that could make the game funny.)

TV’s IT Couple: Have a partner. Each has one warning (automatic save) if one of them is about to die. Once one partner actually dies, so does the other. (The partners can be any role, from either side.)

Self-Centered Roles:

Talk Show Host: Will target anyone they don't like. At “Night” the Talk Show Host PMs the NH with one person they want to kill. The Talk Show Host doesn't necessarily belong to either group though if it had to pick one it would be Good Side.

Gossip Columnist:
Insane Paparazzi. Will target anyone, like above. At “Night” the Gossip Columnist PMs the NH with one person they want to kill. Not part of the Gossip Columnist group, may kill Paparazzi too.

A Note About Rule-Breaking:

Mafia is a game, but respect for all member and good sportsmanship is a must. A fair game is the goal, and to have that, players need to follow the rules. There have been a lot of questions about rule-breaking and such, so here’s the call. If you break a rule, you will be notified by the NH. If you seem to be purposefully breaking the rule over and over, when “Night” comes, you will be killed off. This isn’t something I foresee happening and it doesn’t concern accidents, confusion, etc., but rather bad sportsmanship on a player’s part. Again, I don’t see this happening, but that’s the call on Mafia rule-breaking. Any Board rule-breaking is strictly the domain of mods and admin.

If you want to play in the first game, please respond below. Remember Roles will be assigned to you, you can't pick what you want to be.

Back