TV TOME- I finally Joined

WereWolf - TV series
USA
7/1987-3/1988
Chuck Conners
85-8298-sm.jpg

This is a subject starter thread for SciFi TV

On the index page TV TOME lists TV shows alphabeticly, I went through and randomly chose SciFi TV to try to spur on a discussion. I listed quite a few shows. I missed some too. Isn't there anyone who likes to discuss TV SciFi?

Homicide : Life On The Street

10-11263-sm.jpg

i know it's not scifi but it's a fantastic, original and ground breaking series. It used to air at silly times like 0200hrs on a weekday morning. Was filmed entirely on handheld cameras, quality shows, but theres no fancy editing and the environments are real, if somewhat cropped. Editing in conversations seems to be haphazard, not so much a style as a sign of budget.

The series is all about personnel conversations, with the crimes having been committed, the main cast talking innane nonsense and attempting to close cases along the way. There are scenes with bodies in the morgue, but nothing excessive like some of todays television. Emotions run hig, tied into a good soundtrack, functional but not groundbreaking.

The conversations, timing and innane parts of the show i believe help peoples social aspects to be individual and engrossing. I have the first four series of this on dvd and have to get the rest of the show now. Where i thought that it was maybe the haunting credits music that made me remember it fondly, reviewing the series shows me that instead of some of the felgercarb programming we are faced with nowadays, simply repeating this show would keep an audience for a network.

The camerawork shows that with a script, a small budget and people who can act, have good onscreen prescence, it is doable. I think as people get older and become more experienced with things, when general knowledge has been accumulated to the point where you can say, "I can do that!" so start saving up for those digicams!!

Back