Politics U.S. planning for possible attack on Iran

Moonlite Star said:
Of course its not easy. But if you're determined, you'll find a way. If you have patience, you'll make it. And if you're destined to receive help, you will.
[post="1171808"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm not so sure if this is true, I think some countries might go sd-6 and kill you people for leaving. Perhaps by "determined" you mean, they'll sprout wings or walk on the ocean? :D I'm also think the countries try to influence their people to not find a way out of the country or else there'll be consequences. And people who do try are "made an example." Of course I'm kinda of making this up, but it sounds realistic.

Aside from that, I understand all of your other ideas. Although I'm kind of ambivalent to how I feel about them. :thinking:

sd6452 said:
I'm not so sure if this is true, I think some countries might go sd-6 and kill you people for leaving.  Perhaps by "determined" you mean, they'll sprout wings or walk on the ocean? :D  I'm also think the countries try to influence their people to not find a way out of the country or else there'll be consequences.  And people who do try are "made an example." Of course I'm kinda of making this up, but it sounds realistic.

Aside from that, I understand all of your other ideas.  Although I'm kind of ambivalent to how I feel about them.  :thinking:
[post="1171821"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

by determined, i mean they will find a way that will work, no matter what. and sure, walk on the ocean and sprout wings...if they can. heh.

Check out this site: http://www.iranmania.com/News/ArticleView/...rrent%20Affairs

it has A LOT of comments concerning a US invasion on Iran...some posts are from the US, but quite a few more are from elsewhere...like Iran itself.

There are so many ways Bush can run this war it terrifies me. I doubt he'll be stupid enought to go unilaterally anymore, but that doesn't stop his war machine. Israel can easily topple the relatively weak Iranian army and if Bush puts enough pressure on Sharon he'll do it. If the theocracy in Iran is toppled by aything other than a democratic revolution within the country the entire middle east will be up in arms. Only America has the power to orchestrate an exterior democratic revolution and if it happens we can start expecting car bombs at Walmart instead of Fallujah. That's my honest opinion. We've screwed up the American image enough, if we topple Iran and the Ayatollah we'll be committing political suicide. We'd lose all of our allies in the EU and instigate an even stronger terrorist recruitment force, whcih is already in high gear. I truly hope that if Bush tries to pass another War resolution our congressional leaders will stop it.

to noggi16 and facade47: i think the fact that the democracies of the world do very little about human rights is atrocious. however, Iraq was never about freeing the people, and neither is Iran. if it was, don't you think Bush would be screaming about Saudi Arabia where women are oppressed, public executions are frequent, and there is no freedom of speech or democratic rule? this war-like attitude that Bush has is not just about spreading freedom.

That may or may not be the case as much as I suport the war I am realistic enough to know the reasons weren't all so benavolent, but that does mean it wasn't the right course. I think stonger encouragement for the uprisings may have been the way to go but who knows and maybe pressure on countries like Saudi because they are in the diplomatic process may work.

The same could be said of Isreal. We couldn't invade there but because of their needs pressure would work.

I think foreign policy needs to be more consistent, planned over centuries rather than decades. If we'd thought about it properly during the cold war maybe Saddam would never have been in power.
Arming the Mujahardeen in Afghanistan was now obviously a mistake but it needed doing at the time.

Who's to say hypothetically the dictators in Kahzahstan or the military junta in Pakistan, who are friendly at the minute won't be the next enemy.

There are so many ways Bush can run this war it terrifies me. I doubt he'll be stupid enought to go unilaterally anymore

I know our contribution wasn't as big as yours but this wasn't unilateral. British troops have been dying as well.

by determined, i mean they will find a way that will work, no matter what. and sure, walk on the ocean and sprout wings...if they can. heh.

Obviously you are very lucky and have never lived under a regime like that because it is not an option to "find a way"

sometimes you have to hope someone will do it for you.

noggi16 said:
Obviously you are very lucky and have never lived under a regime like that because it is not an option to "find a way"

sometimes you have to hope someone will do it for you.
[post="1174150"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

and i quote from my earlier post:

Of course its not easy. But if you're determined, you'll find a way. If you have patience, you'll make it. And if you're destined to receive help, you will.

and i quote from my earlier post:

but its not the same is it. The point is I know if I was in Iran, I'd want help. By force if necessary so if America was to invade that is acceptable.

well in all honesty i dont believe it to be at all acceptable. I dont think innocent people should die over this. If, and only if, there is a decent cause for war, America should get the backing from the UN and secondly should spend alot of time negotiating.

but to be honest, i think America is more of a threat to the world, i mean , they could do just as much damage as Iran, and I ran are very unlikely to use there weapons. Most countries today have nuclear weapons, and if we're allowed them, why aren't Iran allowed them to protect themselves, we have them to protect us. Also America cant try and take over the world, countries are independant, if they want to go to war. fine. but get a reason which makes it worth dying for.

noggi16 said:
but its not the same is it. The point is I know if I was in Iran, I'd want help. By force if necessary so if America was to invade that is acceptable.
[post="1176400"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

if that were the case, we would have already invaded all the countries that needed our help since it's justified. iran would have been news of the past. haha we wouldn't be arguing so much about this now.

I agree with what cinders said. Before a war begins, there should be backing from the UN and a lot of negotiating first. and even before that, there should be concrete evidence of WMDs...

at first i thought bush was "smart" for invading a country where we knew they didnt have WMD so if we invaded them, they couldnt blow us up (aka. Iraq). but we KNOW that iran has WMD, so what's the logic behind invading them and making them angry?

cinders said:
well in all honesty i dont believe it to be at all acceptable. I dont think innocent people should die over this. If, and only if, there is a decent cause for war, America should get the backing from the UN and secondly should spend alot of time negotiating.

but to be honest, i think America is more of a threat to the world, i mean , they could do just as much damage as Iran, and I ran are very unlikely to use there weapons. Most countries today have nuclear weapons, and if we're allowed them, why aren't Iran allowed them to protect themselves, we have them to protect us. Also America cant try and take over the world, countries are independant, if they want to go to war. fine. but get a reason which makes it worth dying for.
[post="1176722"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i definitely don't think we should attack iran, but just to respond to the comment about iran having nuclear weapons. nukes in the hands of radical, unstable states is quite different than nukes in the hands of America or other western countries. we're not going to fire them off at the slightest provocation (or no provacation at all).

Moonlite Star said:
[post="1173206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Nooo, if they're determined, they're gonna die! And if death is your way of telling people how to escape... :rolleyes:

iraq is a lost cause
we should never have gone in
if a dictator is the reason
take out kim jong il
his people are starving
we went to iraq for the oil
not to take out saddam
while we're at it
what's so great about the saudis?
why don't we topple that regime?
we are israel's lap dog
in the middle east
doing their bidding
pretending we're independent

What is the obsession with oil. Plently of other places have oil. Its misleading to say its all about oil cos why not invade Nigera or Russia.

if a dictator is the reason
take out kim jong il
his people are starving

and there were no starving people in Iraq? and they didn't have a dictator?

I agree with what cinders said. Before a war begins, there should be backing from the UN and a lot of negotiating first. and even before that, there should be concrete evidence of WMDs...

and the obsession with the UN. It isn't the be all and end all. Corruption in the Oil for Food programme, sexual abuse by MONCU troops in Democratic Republic of Congo, slow response to the Tsunami, and where are the UN in Sudan and Darfur or Somilia or where were they in Rwanda 10 years ago or Crotia during the genocide or helping the 150,000 people dying a week because of poverty or stopping the apartheid in South Africa or the starvation of its own people in Zimbabwe or when China decided to mow down its own citizens.

When the massacres happened in Serbia everyone forgets that action was unilateral by Nato and there was no "ahh lets get permission from the UN" then.
So whats different?

The UN needs reform, it is corrupt in parts. Sure it does a lot of good but its missing a lot too.

i never said it was, but the UN represents countries united as wa whole, it represents decisions and compromise. Just because america's government is arrogant it doesnt mean they should solve things all alone, yes , some things need immediate action, but the war in Iraq was not one of them , discussion is what should be done, with all the countries and the UN should be informed and advised, as America has signed its terms and is apart of it

I don't think we're going to invade Iran because our troops are spread thin in Iraq as it is. The National Guard is stretched to the limit, too. I just don't see how another war is feasible, especially since Iran will not cave like Iraq did.

ms.katejones said:
I don't think we're going to invade Iran because our troops are spread thin in Iraq as it is. The National Guard is stretched to the limit, too. I just don't see how another war is feasible, especially since Iran will not cave like Iraq did.
[post="1183241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
when the troops are thin, recruit more. when nobody wants to be recruited, force them to fight and kill, that's why i love being an american. we live in a society based on lies, violence, and hypocrisy.

the_alliance said:
when the troops are thin, recruit more. when nobody wants to be recruited, force them to fight and kill, that's why i love being an american. we live in a society based on lies, violence, and hypocrisy.
[post="1184701"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

lol that's america! home sweet home...

when the troops are thin, recruit more. when nobody wants to be recruited, force them to fight and kill, that's why i love being an american. we live in a society based on lies, violence, and hypocrisy

Because i'm sure you'd love to be an Iraqi when Saddam was in power or an Irania or an Afghan under the Taliban or a Palestine or a Somilia or a Zimbabwan or a Mauritian or Thai or Indosiean or Ivorian so much more.

Back