UI Modding

I am all for UI modding, but there are problems with it as well.

When the game gets updated, the mods cause all sorts of UI problems until the mods get updated.

Some see modding as cheating.

I propose that the Devs themselves make some of the UI mods. Consider them Wyr for the interface.

What do you think?

I think that modding certain aspects of the Ui is ok but not when it can reveal information that gives active advantages against other players. Such things as quest hints, npc locations by loc, the time of day, and other random objects, I think are ok. Never should someone be able to mod to reveal the location of other player characters.

This brings me to my idea on this. Class specific Ui mods created by the devs. That way the mods might have certain objects or details that the others didnt. They could make them graphically specific so that the necromancers looks like bones and blood and stuff. And the warriors is weapons and rough looking items. Just an idea that is not quite full baked.

Some mods in WoW should of been considered 3rd party programs. They were disgusting, and I am for moderate modding of the UI, but nothing extreme. You shouldn't be able to input the command of ctrl-i, and have it cycle through every possible totem, and when found AUTOMATICALLY attacks the totem with an instant spell with little to no cool down.

It should be done with care, and caution.

Agreed it can be abused but with the appropriate precautions they should have a problem. I liked customizing the looks of toolbars etc. Gave you better screenshots

I haven't heard too much about "raiding" in HJ. What is the size of the parties that are allowed? I'm asking this here because usually the mods make raiding a lot easier. I think a flexible interface that allows you to customize it to your needs (ala ct_mod for WoW when it first came out) would be sufficient otherwise. But for raiding that's a whole different story. It's too difficult to keep track of what everyone is doing (and in my mind, party size should be no more than 10 - 12 ever - otherwise it just gets ridiculous and the lagggg just kills the fun of it. WoW never got that right).

I think that Mods should be restricted, to the point like Ocius said where they dont give away information, or FARMING MODS, the worst, like the fishbot one in WoW where you could go into AV, turn it on, go watch a movie, eat, than comeback and have ranked up like 3 times.

Mods should really just change the appearance and location of things. Thats basically all you need.

And for me, im COMPLETELY boggled by how mods work. It should be user friendly :D

I figured it out. Forgot I had my server set to forbid bandwidth stealing. It will allow direct link of browser url at least.

UI modding is very much neccessary. Quite frankly no online game has ever had a good enough UI to start out with. It's a good area where players can pick of the slack.

LOL, DAoC Crafting FTL! I haven't seen that UI Mod, but definitely good for a DAoC crafter ;)

I too love UI mods, just not the level of WoW's... that's not a mod, that's a whole other program :( I guess, I would prefer "custom skins" to the phrase "mods". Give me a skin that shows specialized windows for Rangers, or Warriors, or Gearsmiths, etc... I don't need the huge amount of stuff added like what CosmosUI does for WoW.

This is why I liked most of DAoC's player made skins... you couldn't really display extra info, unless the author made their own maps, etc and stuck them in... then the next patch, it'd be all incorrect. It wasn't made from data provided by the server.

~ Jaraeth

I could live without mods the game came with options to reconfigure your UI. GuildWars has this option to reconfig. You can move, resize, add, and delete windows/info etc etc.

Give me that coupled with EQ2's amazing chat window options and text color options. You can resize font, windows, window frame and background transparencies, mouse rollover transparencies, lock windows, add/delete tabs, create extra windows...Not to mention the ability to custom color every single type of text that appears in the game and choose which type of text appears in which window.

My EQ2 UI
Here's an example of everything I was able to do by simply using the options in EQ2. If anyone has seen the original UI you'll find mine is totally different...to the point it almost looks like a mod.

That would basically make a player mod useless...with the exception of different skins. But like Jaraeth, I think custom skins and mods are two very diferent things.

Personally I am happy as long as I can adjust the size and location of every single window and menu that might appear, I can enlarge text (blind), and... please let me adjust the size of health meters and target window. People like me with one eyesight need to see better.

Knowing that... yes, I play a healer... afraid to group with me yet? muhahahaha

I'm not much on mods for MMO's. If you really need them, then it's because the dev team really screwed up and gave you a unfinished UI (ala WoW). UI's should be robust and have a wide degree of customization as far as moving parts, changing sizes, ect. right out of the box. having players get involved is not something that should have to happen, and can cause alot of problems.

Back