Politics UN Human Development Rankings

Each year, the UN ranks countries according to the best ones to live in, and the worst.
The United Nations ranked Canada fourth on its Human Development Index in 2004. Canada has established a reputation for outstanding living conditions, earning the UN's top ranking for seven consecutive years, from 1994 to 2000. The country's standard of living, health care system, educational attainment, housing, cultural and recreational facilities, level of public safety and tourist opportunities are all of an exceptionally high quality.

All info Can be Found Here

Interestting findings:

Best Country to Live In
1. Norway (for the fourth consecutive year)
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. US
9. Japan
10. Ireland
11 Switzerland
12 U.K.
13 Finland
14 Austria
15 Luxembourg
Most Multicultural/Diverse Cities, by Share of Total Population

Percent
Miami 59
Toronto 44 <-Where I'm from! lol
Los Angeles 41
Vancouver 37
New York City 36
Singapore 33
Sydney 31
Abidjan 30
London 28
Paris 23

Immigration, Fears of
Those fearing that immigrants threaten national
values make three arguments: that immigrants do
not “assimilate” but reject the core values of the
country; that immigrant and local cultures clash,
inevitably leading to social conflict and fragmentation;
and that immigrant cultures are inferior
and if allowed a foothold would undermine
democracy and retard progress, a drain on economic
and social development. Their solution is
to manage diversity by reducing immigrant flows
and acculturating immigrant communities.
Single or multiple identities. Underlying
fears of losing national culture is an implicit belief
that identities are singular. But people do not
have single, fixed identities. They have multiple
and often changing identities and loyalties. In the
words of Long Litt-Woon, chairperson of the
Drafting Group of the Council of Europe’s Conference
on Diversity and Cohesion: “I am often
asked how long I have lived [in Norway]; ‘20
years’, I say. The next remark often is ‘Oh, you
are almost Norwegian!’ The assumption here is
that I have become less Malaysian because it is
common to think about identity as a zero sum
game; if you have more of one identity, you have
less of another. Identity is somehow imagined to
be like a square box with a fixed size.”18
Some groups of immigrants may want to retain
their cultural identities. But that does not
mean that they do not develop loyalties to their
new country. People of Turkish ancestry in
Germany may speak Turkish at home well into
the second generation, but they also speak German.
Mexicans in the United States may cheer
for the Mexican football team but serve in the
US Army.

VaughnsAHottie said:
Hmm I wonder why were not on the Top 10 :rolleyes:  :lol: awww poor Law Canada's only 4th -_-
[post="988478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You're eighth!!! lol

and remember it ranks many countries (like 257 of them)... so 4th is amazing! lol

VaughnsAHottie said:
Dang it I thought It said UK lol my bad....hmm how'd we get 8th then :confused: best country to live in my butt
[post="988483"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hehe, i'd be upset too but i'm not american, i'm canadian. You can easily compare the US and Canada, there are very little differences, except in education and crime rates.

VaughnsAHottie said:
Dang it I thought It said UK lol my bad....hmm how'd we get 8th then :confused: best country to live in my butt
[post="988483"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Seriously? Where would you rather be? And if it's so much better...then go! (No offense, but if I thought there was a country better then the US, I'd be there or at least be making plans). I don't think 8th is that bad, really. When you consider how many countries there are, we rank a heck of a lot highter then most...even fourth isn't *that* much higher then 8th.

Princess Jeanie said:
Seriously? Where would you rather be? And if it's so much better...then go! (No offense, but if I thought there was a country better then the US, I'd be there or at least be making plans).  I don't think 8th is that bad, really.  When you consider how many countries there are, we rank a heck of a lot highter then most...even fourth isn't *that* much higher then 8th.
[post="989169"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
None taken ;) .....What I'm saying is out of loads of other countries why us being 8th? I mean were in war our economy and employment rate is down and yet there are all these other countries that have a lot more to offer right now. Dont get me wrong I love it here but at this point in time we should be like #20 or something

VaughnsAHottie said:
None taken ;) .....What I'm saying is out of loads of other countries why us being 8th? I mean were in war our economy and employment rate is down and yet there are all these other countries that have a lot more to offer right now. Dont get me wrong I love it here but at this point in time we should be like #20 or something
[post="989247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think, although I don't have the time or desire to look up facts, we might be on the down slide as far as employment and economy but we are so high up (number wise, not superiority wise) that we can slide and still be a lot higher then other countries...did that make any sense?

Princess Jeanie said:
I think, although I don't have the time or desire to look up facts, we might be on the down slide as far as employment and economy but we are so high up (number wise, not superiority wise) that we can slide and still be a lot higher then other countries...did that make any sense?
[post="989268"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yes that did make sense :lol: but we could be the most powerful country but we arn't and wont be until we are at the best of the best at everything....I mean were worth more than Canada but there still ahead of us....so thus it probaby isnt totally economy wise...but still there are so many countries in better shape at the moment that I dont understand how were the overall #8

Personally I think 8th is great. And no matter where it falls, I love my country, and while it's a great country. What makes it truly special is the people who live in it, not the state of the economy. I think that's true no matter where you live.

And go Cannada, that's my favorite place to visit, I talk about it so much my friends think I'm absolutly crazy.

So what would they want to change the calander too, and why? Does changing the calander seem weird to anyone else?
Lucy ;)

I dont think it would be to weird...I mean it's not like any of us know it by heart.... I mean if it's useful to change it then go right ahead but if there just doing that because they want to have an even amount of days in a year then that's just plain stupid :lol:

Back