Under rated Actors

SydneyFan said:
How about Vince Vaughn? Do you know who that is? :blush: He's good, but not too well known. or Owen Wilson? or Jake Gyllyenhall?
Owen Wilson of course, Royal Tenenbaums, Zoolander, Behind Enemiy Lines, he is suprisingly well know, underatted tho yes

think sean penn.... he's a great actor and i don't think he gets the amount of attention he deserves..
Jake Gyllyenhall was in the Goodgirl, Donnie Darko, the Moonlight Mile and October Sky. He's sort of shy I think but a really good actor. Or how about Jared Leto from Requiem for a Dream and I think he was also on that tv show.

Sean Penn is great but his attitude keeps him from being bigger than he could be. He speaks his mind too much and makes people in Hollywood angry. They say he might win an oscar for Mystic River though. I thought he should have won for I Am Sam.

GARY OLDMAN, GARY OLDMAN, GARY OLDMAN!

This man can play ANY character from ANY time period with ANY accent. He is absolutely brilliant, and extremely underrated :(. He deserves a shelf full of oscars!

Think about some of the roles he's had.....

1. SID VICIOUS from The Sex Pistols (70's punk band for you young ones here ;)) in the movie SID AND NANCY

2. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN in the movie IMMORTAL BELOVED

3. COUNT DRACULA in BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (by far the BEST dracula movie ever made)

4. Cocaine addicted bad cop in THE PROFESSIONAL a.k.a. LEON

5. Rasta pimp in TRUE ROMANCE

6. LEE HARVEY OSWALD in JFK

Other notable appearances: HANNIBAL, THE CONTENDER, ROMEO IS BLEEDING, AIR FORCE ONE, STATE OF GRACE, THE SCARLET LETTER, etc....

Not to mention he'll also be in the next Harry Potter film.

[quote name='Sydney's_Kidney' date='Jan 12 2004, 01:24 PM']2. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN in the movie IMMORTAL BELOVED[/quote]
OOooh! I still have to see that :smiley:

I didn't know he played Dracula?! Very good performance though.

~~Spongy!

SpongeBobSquarePants said:
OOooh! I still have to see that  :smiley:

I didn't know he played Dracula?! Very good performance though.

~~Spongy!

For a classical music fan, Immortal Beloved is a must see! And yeah, he was Vlad Dracula himself. Glad to see we can communicate on other threads less seriously (y)

btw, Amadeus is also one of my alltime fav movies. I can quote that film almost line for line.

Sydney said:
For a classical music fan, Immortal Beloved is a must see! And yeah, he was Vlad Dracula himself. Glad to see we can communicate on other threads less seriously (y)

btw, Amadeus is also one of my alltime fav movies. I can quote that film almost line for line.
I havn't been a classical music fan for that long......only since around September 2003.
I didn't rent Immortal Beloved because I heard it was a bad movie but I will probably see it anyways.

btw. I get into a lot of debates in the serious disscusion thread, I don't take them personally. Everyone has their opinions and "I try" to respect them even though tolerance can be difficult.
You should have seen some of the debates me a Charlie got into on the Topic of December........I though I would get kicked off :lol:

2nd btw. I can quote Amadeus too........obsession is what my friends call it ;)

~~Spongy!

SpongeBobSquarePants said:
I havn't been a classical music fan for that long......only since around September 2003.
I didn't rent Immortal Beloved because I heard it was a bad movie but I will probably see it anyways.

btw. I get into a lot of debates in the serious disscusion thread, I don't take them personally. Everyone has their opinions and "I try" to respect them even though tolerance can be difficult.
You should have seen some of the debates me a Charlie got into on the Topic of December........I though I would get kicked off :lol:

2nd btw. I can quote Amadeus too........obsession is what my friends call it ;)

~~Spongy!
Yeah, it got a little heated between us over there in the serious discussions ;). When people are very stubborn in their views, tolerance can definetly be tough!

Speaking of Amadeus, if you're interested there is a band from Finland called "Warmen" who have an album called "Beyond Abilities". One of the songs from that album is an instrumental piece with a constant run of audio samples from the movie playing throughout the backround. It's awesome! I can't remember the song title though. I'll check it out.

Umm about underated actors I think the actors who perform in live theatre like plays and musicals are looked over way too much! I mean before Alias I had never heard of Victor Garber or Ron Rifkin who are both established stage actors! So I think it's rather dissapointing when they are overlooked.
So someone who I think will go far but at teh moment is just starting out in theatre is Kate Hoolihan. She is travelling Australia at teh moment appearing as Scaramouche in the musical We Will Rock You.

Another actor this time in film who is underated is Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He played Joe the soccer coach in Bend It Like Beckham.

nattie

PS: I emailed Kate Hoolihan and got a reply *dances* That's what's so cool about them, they reply to your letters! :D

One actress which I think is currently underrated is Sarah Hagan.

To date, she is best known for her recurring roles as Millie on Freaks and Geeks and as Amanda the Potential on the seventh season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, as well as having a bit part in the movie Orange County.

I didn't really notice her on F&G (even though I did watch that show), and I didn't really notice much at first during the original run of Buffy Season Seven, but after reading a feature interview she did with Buffy Magazine and checking her profile on IMDb, I decided to take a chance and watch reruns of the Buffy episodes in which Amanda was featured, starting with "Potential" - and it was in that episode that I found Amanda (who was really adorable, quite funny and a little quirky) to be the only one that I liked out of all the Potentials introduced that season; it was also beginning with "Potential" that I started to like Sarah as well.

After Buffy ended its run, Sarah did an episode of Judging Amy, as well as some stage work and appearances at Buffy conventions, before starting on her latest projects, an episode of the new medical series Grey's Anatomy (playing a character called Devo) and the teen comedy/drama flick Odd Girl Out (where she will be reunited with Buffy castmate Michelle Trachtenberg).

Although she has not had major roles in movies or played a regular role in a TV series yet, I think Sarah Hagan has it in her to become a success as an actress; she is young (just 20 y.o. right now), has developing talent, good comic timing, is adorable and has a certain cuteness to her. If she is successful and attracts more attention with her current acting projects, she could land more high-profile roles and become more well-known as an actress. :love:

I think there are a lot of underrated actors in the Freaks and Geeks cast. The sure could teach a lot of people a thing or two about acting naturally...

ok a few opinions-
i think the movie world thinks highly
of malkovich, kidman, damon and bettany
all of them have absolutely shone
over time in various roles

malkovich in les liaisons dangereuses
see kidman in the interpreter
damon in bourne supremacy,
especially making amends with the daughter
near the end
bettany in master and commander

i do agree that robin wright penn and carrie ann moss are both under-appreciated
altough c.a. was brilliant in chocolat
and penn has been wonderful in practically everything she's been in

here are three, who, with or without oscars,
need to be taken more seriously and recognized
more fully as stellar actors:

benicio del toro
halle berry
tom cruise (yeah, him)
especially cruise
who has been wonderful over the years
as in rain man
as in collateral
and has never been properly recognized

mc

I believe Courteney Cox Arquette to be completely underrated. Never are her talents in both the Friends series or the Scream Trilogy fully recognized (just think: she was the only cast member of Friends who didn't win an Emmy).

tom cruise (yeah, him)
especially cruise
who has been wonderful over the years
as in rain man
as in collateral
and has never been properly recognized

I don't understand what you mean by that. He's been nominated for three Oscars, was nominated for/won six Golden Globe Awards, and won over a dozen awards in which the public voted. He receives over $20 million for each movie he's in, plus receives a percentage of profits, and is considered one of the top 100 actors of all time.

... We're all entitled to our opinions, but I don't understand which part of that is underrated.

Back