Under the mountain ash

ok. so. i'm nervous. i haven't shown this to anyone. it's just something i wrote a couple of days ago...so unless i chicken out in the next 30 seconds, i'm gonna post it here. please tell me what you think, because i really don't know what i think of it myself. :thinking: it's quite different from what i've written before...so yeah. here we go. it's called "under the mountain ash". i'm really nervous now. (commanding myself: just post it!)

Under the mountain ash

The sun was already setting, when we went to the garden. It wasn’t as warm as it had been earlier, and the beams of the evening sun did no longer reach our garden. You had been inside all day, and I had been away. When I got home we had gone for a short walk through the park, and then we went to the garden. I had bought a book in town, a new, fresh book which I couldn’t wait to start reading, and that book I had with me. The book, and a small bag of candy. You didn’t bring anything but yourself. But that was enough for me.
Quietly I sat under a young mountain ash, leaning against the thin trunk, with the book in my lap. I started reading the first chapter. You were walking around in the fresh spring grass, which was almost too green to be real. I watched you for a while as you were making your way through the grass, your nose close to the ground, smelling every single scent you could find, and by that, observing everything you found important. You looked happy and calm, and took no notice of me. I smiled a little, and sunk back into my book.
All the sudden you were right behind me. I hadn’t seen you coming. You sat there behind me and put your nose into my hair...Like so many times before, I was filled with warmth and love for you. I felt how you were closer to me than you’d been in a long time.

I’m sorry I went away today.

I almost felt you say it was alright, and that you were glad I was back. I smiled again, fixed my eyes on the book and took a candy out of my bag. Suddenly you moved closer, so that you were sitting next to me on my left side. I ate the candy, swallowed it, and it was gone. You reached out for my hand, curiously examining it, to see if I maybe had left a little something for you. I let you look, but you didn’t find anything. You abandoned my hand, and carefully started investigating my bag, the source of the treasures you were so keen on trying. I let you sniff, I knew you’d never take anything without my permission.
I took another candy, and the procedure was repeated. Again and again you interrupted my reading, putting your soft nose into my hands in a sweet, yet careful request for me to share my treasures with you. I knew I should never give you anything when you were begging, like now, so I ignored your attempts.

Not now, my friend. Maybe later.

You stopped, and just relaxed in the evening beside me. I put my hand on your head and patted you a little, stroke your neck, your ears and your shoulders, like I’d done so many times before. You sat there, sometimes looking at me, sometimes looking away, my old friend, with whom I’d gone through so much, and with whom I still had so much left to experience. I knew you so well, and yet I still had so much to find out about you, so much to learn about you and from you. It seemed like you knew so much that I didn’t. But there, in the spring evening under the mountain ash, I felt a connection between us, a silent agreement; We’re really good friends.
And I’m pretty sure you felt it too.
I got back to my book again, and read for a while more. I was getting cold, and I knew that soon I’d want to go inside. But I wanted to stay outside just a little while longer, I wasn’t ready to let go of this evening yet...
Then I saw you. You were standing completely still, above me on the hill you house is built on. The last sunbeams touched you and made you shine as you stood there, so proud and strong, but still small and soft. When I looked at you, and how you calmly were gazing out on the world around you, the sun setting, a slight breeze blowing through the birches’ new leaves, that’s when I felt how very much alive you and I, and everything around us was, and how hard it would be for me to ever let go of all of that. And, most importantly, how hard it would be to let go of you.

My dear friend, do you have any idea how much I love you?

I called out your name. You flinched, being interrupted in your gazing and your silent secret thoughts. Then you came running to me. I laughed and reached out for a candy. I gave it to you, and you swallowed it quickly but gratefully.

It’s when you don’t ask for it. That’s when you get it.

I smiled at you and stroke you again.
-Are you getting cold? I asked you. At least I am, I continued. You wanna go inside?

A moment of silence. There was nothing but you and me.
-Let’s go back inside, I said, more to myself than to you.

I got up, brushed off my pants and started walking towards the house. You ran in front of me, knowing where we were going, already heading for the front door.

How I wish I could keep you forever.

ETA: i did it! i really didn't think i'd actually do it!

*reminds self to print out when she gets home* 'Tis so sweet pii! I'm not very good at describing why or what I like about pieces of writing, but I love this...the title made me read actually...*thinks of the smell of tiny white rowan flowers in her courtyard* Anyway, I'm glad you posted it!!!

Jai :rain:

oh thank you!!! :smiley: i honestly still don't know what my opinion about it is! but i'm so glad you liked it! that title was actually "my dear friend" from the beginning, but then i thought "hey why not try "under the mountain ash"?", and then i liked it a lot better. :smiley:
oh and i didn't remember to write this in my first post, i forgot to say my native language isn't english, it's swedish, so there might be some spelling mistakes or grammar errors...i hope it's correct enough for people to read. :smiley:

Hello. I am new this board and I've been hanging around this forum for awhile. So, I though I'd read and review this one parter.

Overall, I thought thyat it was well written. The details were very descriptive, and the tone was very gentle and soft. The main character was talking about an animal right? If not, then forgive for my denseness lol :lol: It's just the way you described it's behavoir sounded it like an animal of some sorts.

The only critique I can give you is one that you already mentioned which is the grammar and punction errors.

kahlenm said:
Overall, I thought thyat it was well written.  The details were very descriptive, and the tone was very gentle and soft.  The main character was talking about an animal right?  If not, then forgive for my denseness lol It's just the way you descri :lol: bed it's behavoir sounded it like an animal of some sorts.
[post="1354817"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
*is also hoping it was a dog or animal of some sort, ottherwise I really need to pay more attention* It was really nice how you built up to what it was, never actually giving it away...at the beginning I thought she was watching a boy...but then I realised that had to be some pretty keen boy! :lol:

:rain:

hahahahaha that cracked me up. yeah it was an animal! :D i wrote it about my dog. :lol: omg if it wouldn't have been. then i'd have some serious issues. :lol:
all the time my point was that i'd never write it black on white, the fact that i was referring to an animal, that it should just appear from the text. that i'd speak to him/her/it just by saying "you".
haha now i only see a boy sniffing around in the grass... :rotflmao: weirdness of all time!
thanks kahlenm, and welcome to this board. :smiley:

Hello hun! I knew it was an animal from the way it acted and how your behavoir was. You were very descriptive which I liked because it brought me to that certain place and time. The flow was almost gentle and light hearted which is I welcomed.

Perhaps you should have described the dog's fur, the color, length and feel. I can look past the grammar mistakes because like you said, English is not your first language. Good job hun!!!

Back