Unexpected

wow! so they're gonna have a secret affair? :confused:

where on earth do you get your ideas?

you should publish. seriously. you have amazing creativity and skill.

you should publish. seriously. you have amazing creativity and skill.
aw thanks... maybe, someday ;)

Chapter 2
“Okay well let’s go find some food; I’m starving,” Brian said, grabbing Sydney’s hand away from Michael’s and pulling her back down the hallway.

“You would be,” Michael chuckled, tapping his elder brother’s belly. Brian gave him a glare.

As they walked into the dining room, they were met with Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn. They all exchanged polite greetings before Brian put his arm around Sydney’s neck and said, “Guys, we’ve got something to tell you. We’re engaged!”

“Engaged?” Michael laughed. Then he turned to Sydney and asked, “What’s the matter with you? You want this asshole to be your husb- OUCH,” he hissed when his mother smacked him on the back of his head. He recoiled from her death glare while rubbing his head tenderly.

“I think it’s wonderful,” his mother said, pulling Sydney into a warm, motherly hug.

“Thanks M-Mrs. Vaughn,” Sydney stammered slightly while rubbing her back rather awkwardly.

“Call me Amelia, please, we’re going to be family,” she smiled.

Congratulations were passed around for a few more minutes before they all took seats at the table. Grabbing her napkin, Sydney sighed with immense relief, very thankful that the Vaughn’s seemed to be very accepting of her as a future family member.

“So, Mikey, tell us about France,” Brian said, grabbing the potato salad and dumping a huge glob of it onto his plate . “Come to think of it, I’m shocked you didn’t come back married after falling subject to… what is it? Ah yes l’amore,” he said, mocking a French accent.

Michael gave him an unappreciative look, not enjoying his brothers razzing. It had been ages since they’d seen one another, but it appeared the civility could only last so long. After all, the teasing was mutual anyway. “I’ll have you know, Brian, that I was too busy with my studies to focus on l’amore. I got an ‘A’ on my paper,” he informed him with a proud smile. Brian gave an unimpressed little shrug.

“What were you studying?” Sydney asked.

“I was finishing up my master’s degree. I was working with the Louve doing a paper on the paintings there,” Michael explained to her with a smile. Brian made a loud snoring notice, obviously a sign that he found his brother’s chosen career path uninteresting. Michael’s head snapped towards him with a glare. “Oh yeah, real mature coming from the accountant. How are numbers these days?”

“Boys,” Amelia snapped, quelling the impending brawl. Brian and Michael grumbled at each other before turning back to their plates. After a few moments of silence Amelia said in an almost giddy tone, “So, tell me about the engagement! How did you propose?”

“Well,” Brian began with a loving glance to Sydney. She returned his look with a smile. “I dunno…it just sorta happened. We were in Sydney’s kitchen cleaning up dinner and I… proposed. I don’t even remember what I said,” he laughed.

“It was very sweet,” Sydney chimed in.

“Oh how wonderful,” Amelia beamed, covering her heart with her right hand. Across the table, Michael made a muffled gagging noise and Brian shot him a glare.

“Do you even have a job little brother? Or are you just going to be a bum on mom and dad’s couch for the rest of your life while you play with your little art books?” Brian asked, his tone annoyed.

“Actually,” Michael began proudly, setting down his fork. “I start a new job on Monday and I’ll be moving into my new apartment later this week.” Brian gave him a half impressed smile before turning back to his plate.

“Where are you working?” Sydney asked, grabbing her glass of lemonade.

“In D.C. actually, at the Smithsonian,” he told her.

Sydney choked slightly while swallowing her drink. She cleared her throat before saying, “Serious? I work there!”

“No way!”

“Totally,” she smiled.

“Small world,” Brian commented.

“Well that’ll be wonderful,” Amelia said. “See and you were worried about not knowing anyone at your new job, Michael and there you go – you’ll know Sydney.”

“Mom, the Smithsonian is a big place; Sydney probably doesn’t even work in the art restoration department,” he told her.

“Yes I do,” Sydney said with a slight laugh.

Michael’s head snapped towards her in shock and disbelief, “You’re kidding?!” Sydney shook her head, still laughing at the recollection of her boss telling her they’d be getting a new team member on Monday.

Really small world,” Brian sighed.

For the remainder of the meal Sydney and Michael chattered on about their shared profession. She gave him some inside tips on how to get on their boss’s good side and he told her more about his educational experiences in France. By the time the meal was over, everyone but Sydney and Michael was bored to tears.

After their meal, Sydney began helping Amelia clear the table and, though Amelia assured her that she didn’t have to help, she saw an opportunity for a mother-almost-daughter talk, so she let Sydney continue. Meanwhile, Brian pulled his brother aside and asked him in a very serious, non-joking tone, “So what do you think of Syd?”

“I hate her,” Michael said in an equally serious tone. Brian gave him a look. “Hello! I’ve been talking to her for like the past hour. Of course I like her.”

“Yeah?” Brian asked with a hopeful smile.

“Yeah… still can’t figure out why the hell she’s with you though,” Michael said with a laugh. Brian growled. “Hey I was serious! She doesn’t seem at all like those booky nerds you brought home before. She’s cool.”

“Unlike me,” Brian muttered.

“Unlike you,” Michael grinned. “Seriously though man, I’m happy for you. It’s about time ya settled down – you’re so old.”

“I’m thirty!” Brian defended.

SO old,” Michael repeated, smirking. Brian walked away, grumbling.

~*~

“So what do you really think of my moron brother?” Brian asked when he and Sydney were on their way back to DC after visiting his parents Pennsylvania home.

“I liked him – really!” she insisted after Brian gave her a look. “Working with him is going to be fun.”

“Syd, trust me, it won’t be fun. It might be for a while, but eventually you’re going to want to punch him in the face.”

“Why?” she asked, laughing.

“Because… he’s so annoying,” Brian said, almost whining.

“You’re his brother, you have to say that,” Sydney grinned. He grunted. “Bri, lemme find out on my own if I want to kill him, okay?”

“Fine, fine, but don’t say I didn’t warn you…”

oooh they like each other.

don't understand how brian thinks michael is boring. he's a cpa for god's sake.
*no offence to all the cpa's out there*

can't wait for the sparks to fly, after all they'll be working in very close quarters.

great update! :D

oh please she wanted to jumpp him from the moment she laid eyes on him
why would she be annoyed with him

Would you please do some corrections/explanations for cookie :angelic: (sorry I just can't help it)

l'amore is italian... in french that would be l'amour and I presumed you meant the french word :angelic:

you forgot the R letter in the word LOUVRE for the museum... again :angelic:

And what does CPA mean? :thinking: (Sorry if you've already posted the answer, in case somebody asked, but I didn't see it...)

:hug: me

PS. about the first PM that I didn't get.. hmm... :thinking: ok you're forgiven :P HAHA! Must be your lucky day :lol:

I don't think she will want to kill Vaughn...I think she will want to kill herself once she finds out she's falling for Vaughn when she's supposed to be marrying his brother!!! :D
-AHH I love it!!! Can't wait to find out more!!! :woot:

And what does CPA mean? :thinking: (Sorry if you've already posted the answer, in case somebody asked, but I didn't see it...)
It means Certified Public Accountant.
That's why they complained about each others professions being boring.

So, Sydney and Michael will be working together. Wonder how long it will take before they admit their mutual attraction to each other.

Back