Unexpected

she's either going to do the total opposite and fall in love with him
or...
they start to hate eachother, then suddenly one day kiss and she ends up falling in love with him
either way its a win win situation.

uhhhhh i'm definitely watching Annie with victor garber and i'm definitely singing along :angelic: just thought ya'll would like to know ;)

Chapter 3
Getting ready for work on Monday morning, Michael was surprised at how nervous he wasn’t. Typically on the first day of a new job, or even the first day of school, he was a sweating, trembling wreck. He always made friends (at least he did in school) and he was well liked, but still, there was something about the complete and total newness and uncertainty that drove him mad. That day, however, he was comforted by the fact that he knew Sydney would be there.

When he first heard from his mother that he would be meeting Brian’s girlfriend, he had actually groaned aloud. Normally, the women that Brian dated were not the sort of people Michael got a long with. Not that he hated them or vice versa, they were simply… boring. They were librarians or other accountants or some other type of boring human being who only his brother would see as attractive. Needless to say, Michael didn’t have any high hopes for Brian’s newest prospect. However, he was pleasantly surprised.

For starters, Sydney was, in Michael’s opinion at least, drop-dead gorgeous and not in the covered-in-makeup way either. Sydney was one of those people blessed with natural beauty, the kind of person who would look gorgeous when they woke up in the morning without even having to try. Brian’s other choices in women would have easily been described as dogs, in some people’s opinion anyway.

In addition to that, not only were he and Sydney interested in the same field of study, they were actually going to be coworkers. Not boring ‘I guess I’ll work with you if I have to’ coworkers either; Michael had truly enjoyed his conversation with Sydney over lunch. In fact, he could have talked to her about art related things for hours. He could tell simply from the way she spoke about certain subject that they shared similar views on different topics, which was very refreshing, in his opinion.

Plus, there was the fact that she was going to be his sister-in-law, so getting to know her on a more personal level was definitely a good thing, especially if she was going to be a permanent fixture in his family and he was thus forced to spend holidays with her. He couldn’t imagine having to suffer through Christmases and birthdays with the accountant family. That thought made him want to gouge his eyes out just for entertainment value.

After he was ready, Michael grabbed a pop tart for the drive from his hotel (where he was staying temporarily since he couldn’t move into his apartment for another few days). He was definitely anxious to get a jump start on his new career and, hopefully, his new life.

~*~

Sydney paced the employee entrance to the art gallery, waiting for Michael. When her boss asked for a volunteer to meet Michael at the door, her hand had shot up and she had called out “I’ll do it!” before anyone else even had a chance to open their mouth. Her boss had obviously been shocked by her enthusiasm, but Sydney tried to shake it off as nothing, not wanting to seem like a fool.

She was both excited and slightly anxious about the prospects of working with Michael. On one hand, she liked Michael as both a person and a potential colleague. She had become lost in the fun of talking to him over lunch to the point where she forgot Brian was even there. That little fact brought her to the other hand, the hand that contained her heart-fluttering, knee-weakening feelings for Michael. This made her slightly concerned at the fact that she had to work around him so closely, but she shrugged it off as a simple crush; something that would eventually disappear.

After all, she had Brian. She was engaged to Brian, who just so happened to be Michael’s brother. Her feelings were simply a manifestation of that ‘oh my god I’m committed to someone FOREVER!’ feeling in the back of her head. No big deal, she told her self, no big deal.

A broad smile crept across her face at the sight of a navy blue Camry pulling into the employee parking lot. A few moments after the car was parked, Michael climbed out, sipping on the last of the contents of the styrofoam cup in his hand. When he caught a glimpse of Sydney, he smiled. She waved and cursed herself for being a dork. “Hey,” he grinned, “at least I know I’m in the right place, right?”

“Yep,” Sydney nodded, laughing slightly. “Come on I’ll show ya’ around.”

“Ooo free museum tour!! Yippee!!” he said with fake enthusiasm, tossing his cup into the nearby garbage.

“Not quite,” she told him.

They spent the next half hour walking around the different restoration and office areas of the basement of the museum where Sydney and Michael were working. Michael proclaimed that every thing was “pretty cool” after they were done. Then, Sydney took him to meet their boss so that he could get acclimated, receive his desk and fill out some paper work.

At lunch, Sydney pulled Michael away from his endless amount of paper work and reading to take him to her favorite deli for lunch – her treat. “So you think you’re gonna like working with us?” Sydney asked as they were waiting for their sandwiches.

“Well, I already like working with you,” he said with a sideways glance and a smile. She smiled softly in return. “But some of the other people… like… what’s with that Nick guy?” he asked, lowering the volume of his voice considerably.

“Oh,” Sydney said with a casual wave of her hand. “Ignore him; we all do. I swear he was just born that hostile.”

“Good to know,” Michael chuckled.

After eating, Sydney dove back into the project she was desperately trying to finish and didn’t emerge from her cubicle until after five o’clock. On her way to her boss’s office to hand in the results of her report, Sydney passed by Michael’s desk, doing a double take at what she saw. He was sitting there, his chin propped up on his fist, a large (and rather boring looking) book opened in front of him, fast asleep. Laughing softly under her breath, she walked over and shook his shoulder gently. He snapped awake and looked up at her. “You know, it’s probably best not to fall asleep on the first day of your new job,” she told him, smiling.

“I wasn’t asleep,” he defended causally.

“Uh huh, I know, you were just resting your eyes,” she winked.

He grumbled at her and shut the book in front of him before sliding in onto the shelf above his desk. “It’s not my fault. I’m staying at this stupid hotel until my apartment’s ready and the walls are paper thin.”

“Why don’t you stay with Brian?” Sydney suggested.

Michael gave her a ‘yeah right’ look as he scoffed. “Yeah… that’d be just swell. We nearly killed each other when we were younger so us, fully grown, living together would work just perfectly.”

“Really?” Sydney asked, somewhat surprised. Michael nodded. “Wow… I mean, I knew you guys weren’t like best friends forever but I didn’t realize you were that bad… I mean, Brian never said anything….”

“Well, we went through stages. Sometimes we were alright – other times it was uuuugly. But we could never share a bathroom. Brian’s such a freakin’ girl with the way he fixes his hair for hours trying to cover that bald spot he thinks no one can see,” Michael said. Sydney snorted so hard she nearly started coughing, knowing this to be the absolute truth. “See,” Michael said with a grin.

“Alright well I gotta turn this in. Night Michael, I’ll see you tomorrow,” Sydney said, backing her way out of his cubicle. He waved and she turned around, still laughing over the image of Brian in the bathroom, combing his hair in a zillion different directions, trying to find the best way to cover his bald spot.

I beginning to wonder what Sydney sees in Brian.

Michael and Sydney are seeing qualities in each other that one would see in a boyfriend/girlfriend, not a brother-in-law/sister-in-law/co-worker.

aww that was great!
syd and michael seem to get on really well and i think that maybe it is a bit more than just a crush as they both get along great and seem to really like each other!
cant wait for more :D

Back