Unexpected

Sydney and Michael went to bed after a slightly awkward moment during which Michael freaked out because he was about to get into the same bed that his brother had once shared with Sydney.
I was wondering if that was going to come up... :smiley:

“Well first your parents hate me.”

“They don’t hate you Syd!” he assured her. She looked up at him, obviously not believing him. “They don’t! In fact, my dad finds the whole thing utterly hilarious.”

“He does?” Sydney asked cautiously.

“Yes, he does.
HA HA HA

He said that I never stole Brian’s things when we were kids so he figured it was about time I took something of his,” Michael told her. Sydney couldn’t help but laugh slightly. “I’m serious Syd, my parents don’t hate you; no one could ever hate you.”

He laughed. “Yeah, you do. Ohh that reminds me of a story,” he sighed. She looked at him curiously. “Well, there was this guy who lived across the hall from me sophomore year of college and he was dating this girl, who happened to be a twin, only he didn’t know she was a twin. Anyway, one day the twin came over to see him, but they were so identical, he couldn’t tell them apart and the ended up having sex because apparently, the one twin was mad at the other and was seeking revenge…”

“Oh god,” Sydney cringed.

“OH it gets worse. These twins had an older sister who this guy had a one night stand with the previous year…”

“NO!” Sydney gasped as she sat up and looked at him.

“Totally,” Michael laughed. “And the worst part was, after the guy found all this out, he boasted about it to everyone.”
WOW

“Of course! That chauvinistic male pig!! We should string him up by his male parts!! All us chicks need to stick together GIRL POWER!” he exclaimed in a squeaky tone.
Nice save... :rolleyes:

:( only a few more chaps
Well that sucks, the only good thing about it is that we get another new story!!! ;)

At least there is one of his parents who finds the situation funny :lol: , Bill is cool with how things are, that's a good sign ;)
If only Brian could see that he and Sydney weren'"t meant to be, things would be much easier for them

Chapter 17
For the next few months everything between Sydney and Michael was seemingly perfect. At first, they tried to keep their relationship secret from their work colleagues, but their giggling, stupid grins across their faces, and whispering together in corners behavior gave them away. The woman who first discovered their more-than-friends status was the same perceptive person who noted that Sydney was lacking her engagement ring. She put the pieces together fairly quickly (that Sydney left her fiancé to be with Michael) but, luckily, she didn’t know about the close relation between Sydney’s former and current boyfriends.

After one person found out, it only took until the end of the day for everyone else to as well. The reception from everyone was very positive; all of them thinking that Sydney and Michael made an adorable couple. They were both thankful of this, since they had been worried their boss wouldn’t appreciate inter-office dating, but he was fine with it, especially when their increased personal happiness lead to increased quality of their work.

Outside of work Sydney and Michael spent a majority of their time together even though they already spent all day with each other. They never grew tired of each other’s company. They’d go from work, out to dinner some days or back to Sydney’s apartment where she’d cook for them (since Michael still had yet to master his culinary habits). On weekends, they’d relax together, sometimes reading the mystery novels they were so fond of. Sydney quickly found that she was a hundred times happier with Michael than she had been with Brian, which made her feel slightly guilty, especially since Brian had yet to talk to either of them.

Even through her happiness, though, Sydney couldn’t help but second guess herself. After all, she had been happy with Brian, or so she thought until Michael came along. What if she was happy with Michael for a period of time and then some other guy came along and she fell for him? What if - something even worse- she continued that pattern endlessly, never ever being happy enough or feeling happy enough to settle down with someone forever?

Because of her fears, she refused to let herself cross that ‘next step’ line with Michael, even though she knew they both wanted to. There was just something about it, she couldn’t explain, but each time her head started screaming ‘Brian’s brother!!!’ which kind of killed her mood. Eventually, sick of being trapped in her own mind, she sought some more advice from her mother.

“Sydney, you’re not making sense. Of course you’re going to settle down! You’re not going to keep changing your mind!” her mother insisted. Her father muttered something that sounded suspiciously like ‘you never know, she’s a woman’ under his breath, but his comment was ignored by both Bristow women (much to his luck).

“But,” Sydney sighed. “I mean… I dunno. I’m still confused I guess. I mean, I thought Brian was the guy I was going to marry.”

“Did you really?” her mother countered. “If I recall you were stunned that he proposed to you.”

“Yeah, I was,” Sydney said. “I dunno… it sounds stupid but I guess I’m waiting for that one giant sign that says ‘yeah he’s the one’… I mean… I don’t know!” she moaned and smacked her head down on the kitchen table.

“Well, I don’t know what to tell you Sydney except… I’ve never seen you happier,” her mother said.

Sydney looked up at her cautiously. “Really?”

“Yes really! You’re always giggling and smiling. Michael really is good for you,” her mother said.

“He is good for me… and I am really happy… I’m just being stupid I guess. Maybe I should just… never mind,” she said quickly, blushing slightly, realizing what she was about to say with her parents in earshot.

Her mother gave her a reassuring smile and a hug. “Don’t worry about it sweetheart. Everything will work out fine.”

~*~

Sydney decided that the funk she was in was part to do with her fast approaching birthday, when she’d be turning twenty-seven years old. There was something about getting closer and closer to that thirty year milestone that made her more and more depressed. True, age was just a number, but there was something about the ‘thirty’ looming over her head and telling her that she was entering the middle stage of her life, no longer a young, care free twenty-something. In their thirties, people were expected to settle down, marry, have kids, buy houses, start accumulating savings for retirement and Sydney wanted those things, but they also made her feel pressured.

Michael sensed her birthday trepidations and decided he was going all out. He threw her a huge surprise party at their office by sending her out on a fake errand while frantically decorating everything with streamers, balloons and confetti. When Sydney returned and saw the festive sight, she was almost brought to tears from Michael’s thoughtfulness. Then, later that night during their more private birthday celebration he gave her a massage then gave her a coupon to a local spa where she could get a better one since he thought his skills as a masseur were slightly lacking. Sydney loved this, of course, and she assured him that his massage really wasn’t all that bad, but he didn’t believe her since he was convinced at one point during it she seemed to be in pain.

A few weeks after her birthday, Michael was sitting at his desk, rubbing his stomach that was growling loudly. Since that week it was Sydney’s task to pick up their office’s mail from the post office (all the employees alternated this task on a weekly basis) she volunteered to pick them both up some take-out lunch on the way back, but that had been over an hour ago. Sure, with traffic a half hour or even forty-five minutes was plausible, but over an hour? That seemed a little off to Michael.

He tried to rationalize it by telling himself that it was probably just heavy traffic or a closed road, meaning she had to drive out of her way, or, perhaps, long lines at the place where she was getting their take-out, but there was a nagging feeling in his gut telling him otherwise. Telling him something was wrong.

He waited impatiently for another fifteen minutes before he looked up to see a police officer walking solemnly through the office. Immediately, his stomach dropped right to his feet. The officer stopped walking a few feet from Michael’s desk and said, “Excuse me, is there a Michael Vaughn here?”

“T-that’s me,” Michael stammered, standing up. His heart rate was beating a thousand miles an hour and he thought he was going to be sick.

The officer walked closer to Michael’s desk before speaking again. “You were listed as Sydney Bristow’s contact, do you know her?” he asked. Michael nodded as his face slowly turned ghost white. “I’m sorry, sir, but there’s been an accident…”

ehehehehe :devil:

Back