Unexpected

Don't you just feel the love, Janet?
You leave us with a cliffie and some angst and everyone starts saying they hate you.

I'm going to choose viewing this accident as Sydney's wake-up call that Michael is "The One".

Just out of curiosity, why did she have Michael as her emergency contact and not her parents (since they live close by, and are relatives)?

What!!! Why, Why Why would you do that!!??
-I mean we had enough angst with Brian...you didn't have to put her in an accident!!! :P
OO I can't wait to find out what happens!!!!!
-And aside from the accident...I liked how Irina realized Syd is happier with Vaughn more than she was with Brian!!! A mother always knows best!!! :angelic:

Don't you just feel the love, Janet?
You leave us with a cliffie and some angst and everyone starts saying they hate you.
i know, its great :D

Just out of curiosity, why did she have Michael as her emergency contact and not her parents (since they live close by, and are relatives)?
ummmmm because she needed to for the story so the cop could go to michael's work and freak you all out :angelic:

Chapter 18
Stopped at the red light, Sydney tapped her hands on her steering wheel to the beat of the music blasting on her radio. Her attention wasn’t focused on anything but how intensely long the traffic light seemed to be and how her stomach was rumbling. She had just picked up the mail and was on her way to pick up lunch for her and Michael that was if the light would ever turn green.

Finally, it did and Sydney waited impatiently for the person in front of her to notice and step on their gas pedal so she could go. When they did, she began to inch forward, but just as she did this, she noticed something coming towards her from the corner of her eye. She looked to her left and saw, to her horror, a large truck, that failed to stop at the light, was now barreling towards her car. She tried to step on her gas as hard as possible in an attempt to get out of the way, but it all happened so fast there wasn’t enough time.

Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain in her back and neck as her body was sharply snapped to the side and then pulled back into place by her seatbelt. She sat there, completely dazed for a moment before finally coming to her senses. She tried to turn her head to the side, but immediately felt a sharp pain in her neck. Figuring it was bad to attempt to move something that was that painful, she used her eyes and turned her body ever so slightly. Fused to the one side of her car at the door to her back seat, was the front of the truck.

Immediately, Sydney had an urge to bolt from the car, fearing the truck’s engine would explode or catch on fire, thus catching her car on fire and causing her to die a very painful death. So, she looked to her right, knowing the driver side door wouldn’t open since the truck was blocking it. She saw in terror that the door opposite her was deeply indented by a telephone pole. Apparently, when the truck plowed into her, it had pushed her car into the pole, trapping her. At that point, she did the only thing she could think of to do; she started to cry and scream, begging someone to get her out.

An endless agonizing amount of time passed as the pain in Sydney’s neck grew worse, but she couldn’t figure out if it actually hurt more or her pain was increasing along with her state of panic and distress. Finally, the police and fire crews decided they needed to use the ‘jaws of life’ to remove the roof of her car and thus remove her from the wreckage. The whole ordeal was a nightmare and by the time she was put in the ambulance, neck brace tight around her throat, all she could choke out was one thing, “Michael Vaughn… call Michael Vaughn.” He was the only one she wanted to see; she needed him there.

~*~

As Michael sprinted through the hospital parking lot on his way to the ER’s entrance, he cursed his legs for not being able to carry him any faster. All the police officer had told him was that Sydney had been in an accident and he needed to get to the hospital. During the entire drive, Michael was playing over and over the most horrible scenarios in existence in his mind, to the point where he was almost physically sick.

He rushed into the ER and uttered a breathless plea to the receptionist; she directed him to a nearby trauma room. He raced over and through the blinds, he could see Sydney propped up in a hospital bed, large brace around her neck, with her cheeks tear-stained and looking overall exhausted. Tears burning in his eyes at seeing her in such a state, Michael took a deep breath to compose himself before going into the room.

“Michael…,” Sydney croaked upon seeing him.

“Hey baby,” he said in a soft, soothing tone as he walked over to her. “What happened?” He walked over to her and pressed a gentle kiss into her forehead, brushing back some of her messy hair. Then, he slipped his hands in hers before sitting down on the edge of her bed.

“Accident… stopped at light... truck hit me… cut me out of my c-car,” she choked slightly.

“Oh Sydney,” he sighed and leaned in, kissing her gently. “I’m so glad you’re okay… I was so worried,” he said, stroking her cheek softly. She nodded and brought her hand up slowly to cover his as her eyes drifted shut slowly.

“S-sorry… they gave me drugs…sleepy,” she managed.

“Drugs?” Michael laughed softly. Before Sydney had a chance to slur an answer, her doctor came in and greeted Michael. “How is she?” Michael asked.

“Well she’s got a pretty bad case of whiplash and she’ll be sore for about a week, as well as having to wear that neck brace, but other than that she’s fine. She’s definitely one lucky girl,” the doctor said, smiling.

Michael squeezed Sydney’s hand. “When can she go home?”

“I’d like to keep her here for observation just a bit longer, but assuming nothing changes, she’ll be fine to go home by this evening,” the doctor told him.

Michael nodded and thanked him. After the doctor was gone, he turned back to Sydney, who was looking very sleepy. He lifted up his hand and stroked her cheek gently. “Babe I’m gonna go call the office and tell them you’re okay and that I won’t be coming back today. Do you want me to get you anything? Maybe one of those little pudding cups?”

“No…not right now…sleep,” she mumbled. He laughed softly and kissed her forehead before leaving the room and walking outside the hospital so he could use his cell phone.

After making the necessary calls including one to Sydney’s parents just in case they heard an accident report on the news that alarmed them, Michael was heading back to Sydney’s room when, out of the corner of his eye, he spotted a television displaying a news report of the accident. He watched in utter horror as the cameras showed the heap of twisted metal that used to be Sydney’s car. It was only then that the full ramification of what had happened hit him.

Sydney was in a car accident. She had been trapped in her car by a truck plowing into her. If that truck had hit her even two inches differently, she could have died. He gulped and shook his head, banishing that thought from his mind. She was fine, thank god.

Before going into her room, he grabbed a soda and a bag of pretzels from a snack machine to quell his own hunger, which had returned shortly after finding out that Sydney would be alright. Then, he went back into her room and found her fast asleep. He pulled up a chair beside her bed and sat down after tucking the blankets around her, making sure she was alright.

oh my god, michael is so going to like, propose to her b/c he knows he almost lost her FOREVER.

good update, even if we did have to wait 24 agonizing hours to read thatshe is okay.

:D

Back