Unofficial Update

Cirakin

Cadet
I'm not how many people still visit this site looking for news. But I figured you deserved some sort of update. Keep in mind that I am no longer an employee of Simutronics, so it is all unofficial.

Recently, Simutronics had a large lay-off of fulltime staff. This included artists, HJ programmers, and HE programmers. Hero's Journey was a casualty of this reduction in staff and has since been put into hibernation.

Steph Shaver, the lead designer, recently left Simutronics.

It's unfortunate, since I spent nearly 3 years programming for the game and wanted to see it released as much as any of you.

- Cirakin

KingsIsle wouldn't happen to be hiring in the audio department now would they, Cirakin? :P

Sorry to hear about Simu, thanks for poking your head in with an update.

Hey man..

They treatin' you good down there? I read some reviews on Wizard 101, seems to be favored for the audience it targets.

Steph left eh? That part I hadn't heard.

I guess I'm rather glad I didn't take the onsite position afterall. Yoinks O.o

So the lack of communication for so long that many people interpreted as a disregard to the fans actually was just that.

Oh well.

I tried to think of a rebuttal, or some how think of some reason to take Simutronics side. I don't know why either... but ya know... I just can't think of anything.

I don't know if I'd completely say that they completely disregarded the fans of Hero's Journey... but did they disregard the fans at all? To some extent, maybe.

Mmm... maybe I'm posting, because there's a piece of lint within the universe of my mind that still wishes Simutronics would make Hero's Journey, or any game to truly demonstrate the power of their game engine. One that might possibly rival the big studios. But, why develop a game to rival those that you're selling a product to? Or, in my line of work... I can see that someone made a deal to buy their product (Hero Engine) if, and only if, Simu agreed to not put out a game at all, for fear of buying the engine, creating a game in the same genre, and find Hero's Journey rival their own?

*shrug* All in all, it's good to see some people still pop by once every few months.

I just had a dream that HJ came out. I have no idea what prompted it because honestly I hadn't thought about it for I don't know how many months. So I decided to take a look at the forums for nostalgia's sake. Then I saw that you posted a comment yesterday, Jaraeth. It's amazing how after all this time some of us still think about this game and all the excitement we had waiting for it to be released. As much as Simutronics let me down, a part of me still wishes they'd make an announcement that they were going to start redeveloping the game again. Oh well. I guess its just the part of me that still believes in Santa Claus, too.

Sometimes it's hard not to think about. Sure it's not an everyday topic to think about but it still rests in the back of your mind. When you come across something that triggers an HJ memory, you can't ignore it and for that brief moment an emotion of hope might take over.
I still think about HJ occasionally, probably more often than not because I still keep in touch with a few of the HJ staff on Facebook.

Back