Politics US might start drafting

Just read about this on another board:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005
The Draft will Start in June 2005

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and HR 163 forward this year, http://www.hslda.org/legislation/na...s89/default.asp entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the committee on armed services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era.

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

Even those voters who currently support US actions abroad may still object to this move, knowing their own children or grandchildren will not have a say about whether to fight. Not that it should make a difference, but this plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a
shelter and includes women in the draft.

The public has a right to air their opinions about such an important decision.

Please send this on to all the friends, parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and cousins that you know. Let your children know too -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change!

Please also contact your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and contact newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i don't think it will go through

if the U.S. does reinstitute the draft I'm going to be completely against it. I would never fight for Bush but I would fight for my country, depending on the circumstances.

That's horrible, making people fight for a cause that they don't believe in. I have friends who are in the ROTC and they like it and they will go fight for the country if and when they are called. That's great and I have the highest respect for them. However, there's no way I will fight for this country... or any country, really. I'm a pacifist. Nor should anyone be forced to fight. If they are out on the battlefield, it should be because they WANT to, not because they're forced to.

the_alliance said:
SecretAgentMan said:
I'll go to Canada if I'm ever drafted to fight in an unjust war.
this new bill (if passed) will allow canada to turn back draft dodgers.
No matter what our Canadian government says, if Americans don't want to be drafted and come here for sanctuary the people here will give it to them :smiley:

~~Spongy!

I'm British and our system is different. but it would be political suicide to re-instate the draft. Its crazy and I doubt it wil happen at least I hope not,

If your politicans think you need the draft, then they need to go to France for the 60th Anniversary of D-Day.

We needed conscription after loosing 60,000 men on the first day of the Somme. Not that every death in Iraq isn't a tragedy, I just don't think you need it quiet yet.

I doubt the draft will be passed. Everyone in congress still remembers Vietnam and they're not going to be drafting anyone with the memories of that fresh in their minds. Why is Bush calling for a vote on the draft anyway? Aren't we supposed to be out of Iraq in July?

I wouldn't be drafted as I'm underage, but would I go fight?

I can't answer the question honestly because you never really know who you are until you're challenged to prove it, but I think I'd go. Fight for my country?

Hell yeah. Bring it on.

giving me my situation and this topic and how close it is to me, it wont happen i just know it wont, hell i signed when there wasnt a draft however it was the best thing that i have done for myslef

there is no way i am going to go into the military. the reason why everyone thunks this wont pass is because the US govt is making sure that this bill is on the DL. maybe it wont pass (hopefully), but there's a possibility it might. although it wouldnt affect me quite yet (i'd be 18 when and if it passes) and the 20 y.o. are priority.

If this does happen, then I'd go fight and help out.

And I know this is slightly off topic, but I support our soldiers. I respect those who served and are serving now. I went to an air show last year at a Marine base and I felt so proud to be there. It was a great day. One of the guys must have seen my Jeff Gordon (NASCAR driver) hat and said, "I'm a Junior fan." Haha, that was cool. Just thought I'd share that.

if any of you ever serve you tend to forget that it is not about the war itselft but rather they guy next to you, making sure he gets home,

itis good to flame that there are some that support us

Back