Politics USA Presidential Discussion Thread (2008)

Who would you vote for president in '08 primary?

• H. Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A. Gore

• J. Kerry

• J. Edwards

• R. Feingold

• other

• Total voters
In the grass roots, (centrist-everything-to-all-people old guard establishment DLC Democrat) Hillary isn't even an option. Kerry is OUT definately due to letting the little bullies and liars stomp on him without so much as a response. Dude, don't bring fencing swords and white gloves to a drive-by!

Al Gore is just barely making an upswing. Dean is pretty much ineffectual and neutered by his establishment DNC position.

Edwards and Feingold are the two hottest names at the moment. I take Feingold.

Politics aside, I'd vote for Howard "The Scream" Dean because I think him screaming during SotU Adresses would be hilarious.

Or I could vote Hillary. Just to see what happens.

It's like shaking a jar of bees...

In your topic title you put Republican Primary. Oops. :blush:

I'd vote for Feingold.

But I picked Hilary because I got the sickness and she's the cure.

Sen. Feinstein was not alone amongst supposed “anti-war” Democrats who are cheering on Israel.

“Sen. Clinton led a pro-Israel rally in New York. Sen. Feingold holds the same position. If anything, the Democratic Party leadership is more fervently pro-war when in comes to Israel than President Bush,” stated Todd Chretien, candidate for the US Senate from CA. “If you support destroying Beirut, then vote for Sen. Feinstein. But if you want peace and justice in the Middle East, then you should vote for me in November. We need to show the Arab world that not all Americans are blinded by greed and racism like President Bush and Sen. Feinstein.”

I think Todd Chretien brings up a good point. When it comes down to the important stuff, what separates the Democrats from Republicans?

I voted for Hillary Clinton since she is a really good politician and it would be awesome to have a woman in the White House. Plus, it'd be pretty cool to see Bill as the First Husband doing charity work and stuff :D .

My dream president would be Sen. Edward Kennedy from Massachusetts, but he is too liberal (he supports gay marriage and a woman's right to choose) and the chappaquiddick incident hangs over his head, so he won't ever get elected.

I like Clinton (heh) and Edwards.

Sadly, I don't think Obama is going to make it. Suprised he's not a top option here, though. I know Clinton has a barrier to overcome, being a woman, but I think Obama's got at least 3: race, age, religion. Kennedy was a rebel, being Catholic. And I can't say our country is where it should be on race issues. And besides, a man as young as he is doesn't seem to have as much credibility. Since younger voters typically don't show up, I think older voters won't be as excited by his youngness (comparatively).

I like Clinton (heh) and Edwards.

Sadly, I don't think Obama is going to make it. Suprised he's not a top option here, though. I know Clinton has a barrier to overcome, being a woman, but I think Obama's got at least 3: race, age, religion. Kennedy was a rebel, being Catholic. And I can't say our country is where it should be on race issues. And besides, a man as young as he is doesn't seem to have as much credibility. Since younger voters typically don't show up, I think older voters won't be as excited by his youngness (comparatively).

I'm not a Clinton fan at all, but I do like and admire Edwards a lot, however Obama is my man.

I'd have to disagree with what you said about Obama making it. Let's not forget that we still have a lot of time left until the elections. Obama's campaign has electrified young voters, now will they vote? Well, we'll just have to wait and see. But as a regular poster on his "my.barackobama.com" I've seen firsthand the amount of college age students who are fully behind him.

I don't understand why religion would be an issue. He's a Christian and goes to a Christian church, just like the other candidates. If you're referring to the huge misreporting by Fox News that he's a muslim, it's not true.

I also don't see race as an issue. His biggest supporters are white, infact it may just be an issue among black voters who honestly don't quite see him as being black enough. However I think once many of them really get to see where he stands on the issues they will support him.

As far as age, I would say that wouldn't hurt him as much as "inexperience". I think people would like to have a candidate who has some youth. I mean if John McCain got the nomination he would be 72 before he took office, I don't know about most people, but that would be an issue with me. However I don't think he's any less experienced than anyone else. I realize he hasn't been in the Senate for a full term, but at least he has some federal government experience, where as Rudy Guiliani does not. His claim to fame is being mayor of New York City during 9-11.

I also think we're going to be in for a surprise when the Obama campaign releases his fundraising numbers for the first quarter. Most experts believe that they must've raised a significant amount (possibly more than Hillary's 26 million) because they're holding off on releasing it. He did get over 20,000 more people to donate to his campaign than Hillary did, so that is significant, especially since people who have already donated are more likely to donate again.

ETA: Obama did keep up with Hillary's pace, raising $25 million dollars, which 23.5 of that can be used for the primaries, whereas only 20 million of Hillary's can be. He also had over double the amount of donors Hillary did, many of which were online and most of which gave a very minimum amount of money, meaning they can keep donating. A lot of Hillary's donors gave the maximum, or at least close to the maximum.

It's amazing how things have changed... well, we have our candidates. Obama v. McCain. I'm sorry, but the GOP picked an old geezer. A brave man, but not out president, PLEASE!

I decided a while back I was comfortable with both Hill or Bambam. I just hope Barack can pull it all together when it counts! I'll be voting for him...

Old news, but who do you feel is going to win?

To me, Barrack looks like he will win. But i'm highly discouraged considering a woman is his 2nd...man

Back