UST and TV drama

V

verdantheart

Matt Roush addresses the topic of UST and TV drama in his review ~ 20 Oct 2003:

~~~
Stop, in the name of love
You think TV characters are frustrated by sexual tension? Think of the fans!
By Matt Roush

No subject generates more passion among TV viewers than passion. People love their favorite characters so much, they're desperate for them to fall for each other. The sooner, the better. But not so fast. Consider those combustible JAG heroes, Harm and Mac. In the season opener, they survived a South American adventure during which they shared a bed — platonically — heightening the sexual tango they've danced for seven seasons. When the mission was over, Mac finally confronted the issue.

"Things are never going to work out between us," she said. When Harm wondered why, Mac replied, "Because we both want to be on top. And that's physically and emotionally impossible." There's an even better reason: Get them together, and what's left?

Call it the Moonlighting factor. When Maddie and Dave fell into bed in that '80s mystery-comedy's third season, it was the beginning of the end. No sexual tension? No fun.

While viewers groan, JAG was smart to let romance exist as subtext for as long as possible. Same at CSI, whose obsessive fans are split between wanting Grissom to make a move on Sara or Catherine. Bad idea, either way.

Other would-be couplings that are the stuff of fan fantasy: Lorelai and Luke on Gilmore Girls, Donna and Josh on The West Wing, Sydney and ex-flame Vaughn on Alias, Clark and Lana on Smallville. As lovelorn Chloe warned Lana, "Pining over Clark only leads to personal misery."

And better ratings.
~~~

Let's turn up the heat--and the ratings!
;)

For right now, he's her ex-flame, though. Enjoy the ride.
^_^

yeah i agree - cos although i loved seeing them together towrds the end of season two i loved it just as much if not more during seaosn one and the start of season two when they couldn't be together!!! sexual tension sure does make for great viewing.

Back