Utter Chaos is Fun

Chrisidon

Cadet
This is a post about my real life. Feel free to disregard. I just need to rant a bit and the people closest to me don't need a summary of what I've been telling them over the last three weeks.

Part 1: The Apartment

Around the beginning of the month, my wife's co-worker started a career as a real estate agent. Since we had been looking for a new apartment, she started e-mailing listings to us. Of course, at that point, we thought we were resigned to our curent apartment, and that I'd use the month of May for discovery and proceedings in court against our current landlord. Instead, we decided to follow up on the most promising listing. We signed the lease on the 16th. We move in on the first.

Of course, this isn't all. Firstly, we had been legally withholding rent from the previous landlord since January for repairs that haven't been made. These repairs are against health code, and thus we could stop paying. We've had the money in the bank in case things get resolved, but they don't seem to be. Now we're moving out, and I really don't want to get taken to court for the back rent, because once the landlord/tenant relationship is dissolved, things go to general court, not the (much faster and lawyer-free) housing court. I sent a letter requesting a final bill with the notice of our move, but it seems to have been largely ignored. Since we're moving 2 weeks before we technically have to vacate the premises, I'm tempted to call code enforcement and go on the offense in housing court. For you pocket lawyers out there, we're in Massachusetts (note to self: change location on profile).

Part 2: The Computer

As I had mentioned previously, my laptop was stolen two weeks ago. After sending over 20 pages to my insurance company in the last two weeks, it's time to call them to pursue the claim. I plan on buying a desktop because I have no further need for a laptop; see part 3 for details. The police have just now (at of 12 noon yesterday, thus waking me up) assigned the case to the detective's bureau; I'm secretly hoping it's not recovered, or if it is it's after I've signed it over to my insurance company. Of course, they'll need to include a data-recovery clause in that case, because I want to pull my personal files, downloaded software (legally, mind you!) and anything else I could need before they get a hold of it. If it's recovered. If not, well, I'll reconstruct as able.

I have access to two computers: mine at home, and the one I'm on now in the business center at work. My Internet was cut off at home early this week (because Verizon is incompetent) so I'm using the beat up old keyboard on a beat up old computer. My desktop is currently at my mom's house so she can take some medical billing test that doesn't work on macs. Weird, I managed to go over half the week with no computer or other video game entertainment. This scares me. Of course, the cable guy comes out on Wednesday, so I won't be cut off too much longer.

Part 3: The Job

And of course, on top of this stuff, I've been looking for a new job. My best chance is coming up this morning, where I have an interview for an open position at the hotel across the parking lot from where my wife works. By 'open position' I mean I could be anything from a front desk grunt like I am now, to hotel manager. That's the weird thing about interviewing with the owner. I know that the reason many hotels are professionally managed are because of a particular tax shelter, but I like the idea of being able to go to the absolute top if something is completely outrageous.

The reason I'm looking for the new job is that I can't work 3rd shift anymore. I need something that'll let me attend class this summer, which means 1pm-11pm are my available hours four days a week. My current employer can't change me to another shift, so I'm looking to go another way. If for some reason the interview this morning doesn't go well, I'll be cold-dropping resumes on Wednesday afternoon to everything on the west side of the river. In the mean time, my boss has no idea I'm looking to move along, and I know damn well that 2 weeks isn't enough time to replace me. Too bad, so sad, but some of the stuff that's happened here lately is enough to make me feel okay about quitting without any notice, much less two weeks.

Part 4: School

Assuming my accounting professor gives me the OK to not come to class this week, I'm done for the semester. Failed 2 classes: one for attendance, one because the professor sent out no reminders about the mid-term (and only allowed you to take it on a particular Saturday), but my other two classes should be an A and a B. So since I'm slightly behind schedule now, I need to take two of my classes during the summer in order to make it up. Thus why from the beginning of June to the end of July, I'll be in class 8a-12p, Monday through Thursday: taking Physics and Biology in summer session and the day classes are better for me than coming in for two nights a week. The funny thing, though, is that we're moving to a place that's two miles from my NEXT school. Can't wait until I can start taking classes there instead of having to make a 7.5 mile trek (no car, wife has it to get to work) on one of the most nominal public transit systems in the country.

So there we go. Rant over and I really do feel better. Maybe I'll slack off the rest of the morning and try to get DR working on this compuer.

Verry interesting... I hope all of it works out for you.

johnsoninteresting.jpg

Shew, after reading all that, I know how you feel... Kinda. While I've never been in that exact position, I know what its like to have all forces, man and nature a like against you. Pretty much what it comes down to is this.

No matter how screwed up things get, and no matter how much you lose, so long as you can say, "I am still alive", there is a reason to go on. One life is what we got, and while it might not be peaches and cream all the time, we can always look forward to what tomorrow holds. While that might sound like something straight off of a cereal box, it's true. Hope your lucky star finds you.

The best part about this is theres kind of this chain in each problem that leads to the next.

Soon you'll solve on of them, and it will have that same affect, only in a positive manner :D

Update:

Well, the salary offered at the job I interviewed for was an insult. He didn't want to give me a higher position than 'grunt' and was only offering $8.25. I make $10 right now. I came up with Plan B where I get a student loan for my salary (less a bit since I won't have to worry about work-related experiences, commute, clothes, etc) plus school costs. I'm pursuing that now at the same time I work on getting a new job regardless.

As for the apartment, we got the furniture moved, but the couch took 2.5 hours to get into the apartment, including removing the feet (stripped screws are a -----) because it was exactly the width of the door. Both myself and my wife ended up pushing it in the end, and collapsing on it as soon as we got the cushions on. I didn't realize one could be in pain with every little movement, but a little advil is making moving light stuff and arranging the apartment a little more bearable.

I'll see if we can get some pictures uploaded once we're all done so y'all can see why we're so excited about it. Now, time to let my torrents run, get some shows downloaded, and relaaaaax.

...but the couch took 2.5 hours to get into the apartment, including removing the feet (stripped screws are a -----) because it was exactly the width of the door. Both myself and my wife ended up pushing it in the end, and collapsing on it as soon as we got the cushions on.

hehe..

It's always the couch, dressers, and refridgerator that are the most fun to move.

Save for the piano.

Update:

Well, the salary offered at the job I interviewed for was an insult. He didn't want to give me a higher position than 'grunt' and was only offering $8.25. I make $10 right now. I came up with Plan B where I get a student loan for my salary (less a bit since I won't have to worry about work-related experiences, commute, clothes, etc) plus school costs. I'm pursuing that now at the same time I work on getting a new job regardless.

As for the apartment, we got the furniture moved, but the couch took 2.5 hours to get into the apartment, including removing the feet (stripped screws are a -----) because it was exactly the width of the door. Both myself and my wife ended up pushing it in the end, and collapsing on it as soon as we got the cushions on. I didn't realize one could be in pain with every little movement, but a little advil is making moving light stuff and arranging the apartment a little more bearable.

I'll see if we can get some pictures uploaded once we're all done so y'all can see why we're so excited about it. Now, time to let my torrents run, get some shows downloaded, and relaaaaax.

Seriously? That sucks. I've rarely had the luxury of not being in at least some kind of pain. Hell, I can't even stand around outside for an hour without being practically unable to bend my knees and back... Ugh. I swear, doctors piss me off. Always with the "there's nothing wrong". X-(

Update number 2:

Got a check from the insurance company. $250. Limited because the computer was partly or wholly used for business. Gotta love "a little extra in your check" for claims adjusters. I'm trying right now to draft a letter for my boss to put on company letterhead that I can fax over that basically says "no work usage, no access to our internal network, why would we let our mailing list be 'stolen' like so many other companies who lose laptops?"

If anybody who's on this early in the morning cares to pop some pointers my way, I'm trying to find a way to fill the page.

Back