V for Vendetta

Yeah, Sinead O'Conner isn't bad either. But that's still a short list.

With the wait, I really hope they do a really great job on the effects and editing. It would suck to have it postponed and then get a piece of felgercarb.

Now, in the meantime, I need another movie or show to get excited about. Thank god for Harry Potter (y)

The posters have been released at the official site! I'll post a link later when I have more time, but needless to say, they rock!

Yeah I saw those! refche posted them in her LJ. AMAZING. They look like 70s movie poster throwbacks. I am in awe. :love:

I saw it! The second trailer makes me even more excited to see it... it reveals more of the plot. Gave me butterflies lol. :D

Me too! I heard they gave the ending away in the previews, but if it's what I think it is, they just showed bits. It was gonna lead up to it anyway.

I will definitely go to see that movie! :smiley: It seems to be so good! I love Natalie Portman and her new haircut is nice ^_^

I cannot wait to see this movie!!! :D

EW just did a big cover story about it, and I got more and more excited with every second.

It does hit some very touchy issues, so I think it's pretty safe to say that a lot of people are not going to be pleased...especially with some of the parallels from the movie to events that are happening now in the world.

Certainly! ^_^

Here's a brief section of the EW article, but it does touch on the controversial issues.

V for Vendetta is set around the year 2020. The world is in turmoil. News reports announce that the ''Ulcered Sphincter of Asserica'' is torn amid civil war and chaos. Meanwhile, England is ruled by fascists that control the media and suppress free speech. Homosexuals have been rounded up and shipped off to internment camps. Citizens are executed for owning copies of the Koran. A hundred thousand souls have been lost to biological attacks launched in the water supply. Lurking underground is a mysterious man named V (played by Matrix veteran Hugo Weaving) who wears a mask resembling traitorous British folk hero Guy Fawkes — the bloke who tried to blow up Parliament in 1605 — and who delivers bons mots like ''People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.'' And, for reasons that soon become clear, he's got a vendetta. So he recruits a lonesome naïf (Natalie Portman) to aid him in his grand plan: to overthrow the oppressors.

If a literary action fantasy about a small group of freedom fighters trying to bring down a tyrannical regime sounds familiar, that's because V comes courtesy of the same team behind The Matrix: Warner Bros. Pictures, producer Joel Silver, and enigmatic filmmaking brothers Larry and Andy Wachowski, who are credited here as producers and screenwriters. And it offers the same kind of thinky thrills. ''What the boys have done, what they always do, is try not to take a specific stand,'' Silver says. ''They like to tell a story, and whatever you bring to that is what they want you to bring.''

Based on the landmark Orwellian graphic novel that Alan Moore wrote and David Lloyd illustrated in the 1980s as a rebuke to conservative Thatcherism in the U.K., V for Vendetta aims for the provocative bravado of such classic cinematic allegories as Metropolis and A Clockwork Orange and may be the most subversive studio film to come out in the wake of 9/11. It's hard to think of a current hot button the movie doesn't press. State-sanctioned torture? Check. Wiretapping? Yep. The politics of homosexuality? You bet. Bioterrorism, the avian flu, the Iraq war, and pedophile priests? They're all covered. ''How people interpret its relevance is so personal,'' says Portman, acknowledging that the film is likely to stir controversy. ''Some people [will be] like, 'This is an antifascism movie!' And some like, 'This is Iraq!' And some [will] totally interpret it as the current U.S. government.''

All should be able to agree, however, that V for Vendetta — with its disturbing echoes of attacks that struck America (9/11/01), Spain (3/11/04), and Britain (7/7/05) — is more volatile and disturbing than any run-of-the-mill comic-book movie.

It's obvious that a lot must've been added to the movie to reflect current times, since the graphic novel was written in the 80s.

This looks great and unlike Madonna Natalie can pull off the English accent lol The last "comic book" movies that I anticipated this much were Batman Begins and Sin City. I tend to like the darker ones. and although it wasn't a comic book this reminds me of the movie Equilibrium w/ the fascist government and the leader projecting his face all over the city via large screens.

I don't want to jinx anything or get ahead of myself but maybe, just maybe the movie industry are getting their ..shall I say..courage back lol Making films that dare to bring up controversial issues instead opting for the predictable romantic comedies or action flicks. V for Vendetta might just the first step tha steers the industry in the right direction.

Here are snippets from Moriaty's review at ain't it cool news concerning the politics of the film.

Before we even begin, I want to address the elephant in the room and say that anyone who thinks this film is just a simplistic attack on conservative America is missing the point. I’m sure that right now, being on one side of the wall or the other in the polemic war that’s been simmering ever since Bush took office must make it incredibly difficult to see something outside the narrow prism of current political metaphor, but not everything that has a political opinion is, in fact, about Bush. There is imagery in this film that refers to our present, but just as much refers to our past and even a hypothetical future.

Alan Moore’s book, and this movie, are larger than any simple direct political targets, though. They are instead a reminder of how fascism works, and if the conservatives in this country are going to get upset about that, then perhaps they need to examine their own agenda. Are you a fascist? No? Well, then the movie’s probably not directly about you. Remember when the source material was written... Margaret Thatcher is a more direct political target in terms of the origins of this story than Bush is. And there are many other real-world parallels that find their way into the film that have nothing to do with any current administration anywhere. And remember... the Wachowskis first started trying to adapt this and get it produced well before Bush took office.

Calling the fears that V FOR VENDETTA articulates “left-wing” or “liberal” is rather limiting, and limited. I’m sure no one anywhere ever believes that they would be capable of survival and conformity in a world where fascism is acceptable, the norm. No one wants to believe they’d be capable of having been a “good German” during WWII. No one wants to think they’d allow something like that to happen. But it can. Of course it can. And it has and it will. And that’s why a film like this resonates. This is about the way any monolith that wants to control a nation treats its people, the way they are dehumanized, the way their spirits can be broken, and the way they are treated as less than human by the ruling class. V FOR VENDETTA makes personal that process of dehumanization in such a powerful way that I can’t imagine resisting it. Especially since Evey, the central character in both the book and the film, is brought to vivid life by Natalie Portman, doing arguably her best work since THE PROFESSIONAL.

Having said that, I would still recommend this to anyone who wants to see SF treated with respect, or who has wondered when we would finally see a film capture the precise flavor of an Alan Moore book. Even though this film take liberties with the narrative, it works overtime to maintain the same ideas that the book tried to express, and it’s sort of incredible that this is being released by a studio as huge as Warner Bros.
Just remember... conservatives aren’t fascists, and liberals aren’t hippies or pinkos, and it is possible to watch and even enjoy a film that deals with political themes without having to agree with every single idea in it. I don’t think V FOR VENDETTA is going to change the world. I don’t think it’s going to cause any sort of revolution. I don’t think this film will even set off a major debate in the media. I do think that it will provide potent fodder for conversation to anyone who approaches it with an open mind, though, and that alone makes it worthwhile.

Well that sounds like a pre-emptive strike against claims that the movie is Lefty McLefterson! :lol: Coz it never seemed that way to me... I mean, how can it be a slam against Bush? He's conservative, not fascist. Conservatives are all about trying to keep Big Government out of the private lives of citizens - it's like the opposite of fascism. :D I too saw this movie more as a similar one to Equilibrium and/or Aeon Flux.

Haha Margaret Thatcher?! :lol: :rotflmao: Oh man. She's pretty far from fascist, too. ;) But whatever. :D Good points, anyway. ^_^

Back