V for Vendetta

The release is only about a week away now! :smiley: I'm starting to get kind of excited about this movie, though it'll probably have some really brutal moments. :thinking: Ah, anyhoo, anybody else going to go see this movie? I'm thinking about going to see it around my Birthday. ^_^

I think it comes out in April in France but because I don't go back there before the end of April, I hope I'll still manage to go to the cinema :D ;)

It's obvious that a lot must've been added to the movie to reflect current times, since the graphic novel was written in the 80s.

Actually, I've heard the exact opposite is true. Everything presented in the graphic novel is supposed to be in the movie and the only thing they changed was to flesh out Evey. The producers have said that one of the scariest things is that some/many themes in the novel that originally seemed far off have now become, or are becoming, reality.

The release is only about a week away now! :smiley: I'm starting to get kind of excited about this movie, though it'll probably have some really brutal moments. :thinking: Ah, anyhoo, anybody else going to go see this movie? I'm thinking about going to see it around my Birthday. ^_^

I'm definitely gonna see it as soon as possible. Hopefully Friday when it opens :smiley: Happy early birthday!

Actually, I've heard the exact opposite is true. Everything presented in the graphic novel is supposed to be in the movie and the only thing they changed was to flesh out Evey. The producers have said that one of the scariest things is that some/many themes in the novel that originally seemed far off have now become, or are becoming, reality.
I'm definitely gonna see it as soon as possible. Hopefully Friday when it opens :smiley: Happy early birthday!

I read in various articles like in rollingstone and premiere that Alan Moore didn't want his name attached to the project because of what has been changed. The screen writers wrote a screenplay true to the graphic but the studio turned it down so the rewritten screenplay is the one that they filmed.

I read in various articles like in rollingstone and premiere that Alan Moore didn't want his name attached to the project because of what has been changed. The screen writers wrote a screenplay true to the graphic but the studio turned it down so the rewritten screenplay is the one that they filmed.

From what I understand Alan Moore wanted no less than an exact and literal translation to film. I'm not sure about the studio and script deal, but like I said, I've consistently heard it's very true to the original. Regardless, I doubt anything has been changed or added to create more of an impact in today's world.

The article in Premiere was an interview with the cast, producer Joel Silver, and the Wachowski brothers. They discussed what it took for the movie to get the greenlit which included the rewrite, to recasting V, the filming and the film's message. Peter Travers review said that the film keeps the same principles of the graphic novel but with a bit more tweaking done to it. :D He gave it 3.5 stars out of 4.

The article in Premiere was an interview with the cast, producer Joel Silver, and the Wachowski brothers. They discussed what it took for the movie to get the greenlit which included the rewrite, to recasting V, the filming and the film's message. Peter Travers erview said that the film keeps the same principles of the graphic novel but with a bit more tweaking done to it. :D He gave it 3.5 stars out of 4.

Ok :smiley: point conceded.

Here's a review (no spoilers) at AiCN

There's another spoilery review at Rolling Stone dot com. You can read the first two or three paragraphs and still stay virgin in addition to the last paragraph, which is also spoiler free. The middle is spoilery, but I'm not positive since I didn't read that bit.

My movie theater is having a sneak preview tonight at 10 and I was hoping to go but circumstances are preventing me from going.

I am hoping to see it this weekend, though I'm not really sure if that's going to happen. :(

Then I'm way to busy next week and next weekend to see it. Oh well, I may have to wait for the dvd -_-

Argh, I either have to wait till Sunday to see it, or see it twice. I promised a friend I would wait till then and see it with him. Alas! Maybe I will just see it twice. ;)

I actually think I'm going to see it tomorrow with my parents :D My dad was released from the hospital today and because I was such a big help with it all (and didn't get to have the "usual" spring break) they said they'd take me to see it, which is excellent since if I didn't see it tomorrow I probably wasn't going to see it until the dvd.

But it does depend on when the Duke game is though ;)

Wow. I just got in from seeing it with my mom and dad. It was absolutely amazing and so very thought provoking. I'm definitely going to have to see it once or twice more to really be able to take it all in. Definitely 5 stars in my book! (y)

So I saw it and it actually did live up to the hype. thumbup But I know that there are a lot English/uk members on here so I'll just say this, if you are not fine with seeing explosions occuring in England than you shouldn't see this film. Out of all the countries in the world it's hard for me to believe that England's government would turn into what the films portrays.

The acting was superb. Natalie's performance was amazing. The last time her performance was this outstanding was in The Professional. Now I know that probably floors some of you but let me explain. She's a talented actress, no argument there, but since The Professional there hasn't been a film where she's been great, good..yes but not great. Her character Evey evolves beautifully in the film and her fearlessness during the torture scenes confirms that she is one of the few great actresses of our generation, like Jodie Foster and Angelina Jolie. And she doesn't need to sell to her personal life to garner such attention her genuine talent speaks for itself. Honestly, I can't imagine another actress bringing such courage, heart and dignity to Evey, especially during the scene where she actually had her head shaved. For the most part, her English accent stays true there were a few times when it faded but she can pass as a English woman. Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow, stop trying and just give up.

Hugo Weaving did not dress up in V's garb, since producer Joel Silver confirmed this and his work was purely voice over. He replaced James Purefoy and I have to agree with that decision. His voice has such resonance and gravitas. It's hard to replace his voice with another's since you genuinely felt V's presence every time he spoke. And his delivery was never off or cheesy unlike other actors who have tried to portray comic book heroes..Ben Affleck in Daredevil comes to mind. Even though V is never unmasked the range of emotions that he conveys is known and felt. Very few actors can do that and Hugo is one of them.

The rest of cast were excellent especially John Hurt as the High Chancellor which I find interesting since he was 1984 which has similar themes. No one in the supporting cast could be pegged as the "lesser actor" since there wasn't one.

James McTeigue's directorial debut is a great one thumbup Since he did work on the Matrix films you can definitely see the influence there but he does have his own style. Because of the film's themes and message he could have gone over the top but thankfully he didn't. His use of slow motion and "wire work" was tasefully done. There is one fight/action sequence and I know this is a bold statement, but it actually puts The Matrix's famous fights scenes to shame. Snaps for that!

You have to keep in mind that the Wachowski brothers were working on this script in the early 90's well before they made the Matrix. The first drafts were very true to the graphic novel but the studio turned them down until they came to them with the screenplay that was finally approved. It's not exactly to canon but the film still has the same basic principles and Evey's character is more developed. I will say this, V for Vendetta is definitely, at least when it came to the writing, far superior to the Matrix trilogy.

A lot has been debated about the film's politics, some critics and viewers say that it is slanted others say it isn't. I can understand why some would see a slant since there a lot of eerie parallels that can be connected to the state of the world today. But I don't believe that's what the Wachowski brothers intended. The film brings up more questions instead of forcing answers and opinions upon the viewers. It reinfornces the belief that freedom is earned not given and it needs to be kept. I think everyone should see the film and judge it for him or herself, it's definitely an experience and movie that stays with you. The thinking man's or woman's action movie.

i saw it yesterday (there was nobody in the theatre but the fact that it was 1 in the afternoon on a Tuesday might explain why) and i must say, i absolutely loved it! it's in my Top 5 for sure.

Back