V for Vendetta

Sadly did not live up to my expectations. A bit too... off for me. Too much glorification of the wrong things (i.e. terrorism). -_- Heavy-handed as well.

I wasn't surprised about the terrorism aspect, because from all the articles I read that was certainly to be expected.

I personally loved it and think it really showed how you "terrorism" isn't exactly black and white. While the methods V executed to get his point across were extreme, he was fighting a tyrannical government, and you could see where it might be justified...especially since the whole population at the end agreed with him.

I really enjoyed the parallels to today's world...very interesting.

I'd like to compare the movie to those old time westerns where the new guy in town is in the only one brave enough to take down the corrupt sheriff, of course it's modernized for today. The difference is V was victim of his government which made it more personal instead of him trying only to be the city's hero and doing it for glory. England's government didn't have the option to be liberated from their oppressive government since things had been that way for years and people were afraid much like the US when it was still under Great Britain's control. So, it's understandable that they had to save themselves instead of waiting for another country to do it. And the film shows how a government can take "we're doing this to protect you" too far.

Since this is thread is for discussing the movie here's my spoiler alert. Yes, that was it lol Having gay friends it made me just so sad and angry to see that homosexuals were sent to internment camps and were tortured. These days there are these crazy and hateful fundamentalists like Jerry Falwell and Phelps that would love to see that happen. First it was gay marriage and now it's gay adoption, which makes me think what next? When the film showed what could potentially happen..it was scary.

^Definitely agree ya.

This movie was really eye opening and sparked some really interesting discussions between my parents and me after we had seen it. It was scary to think that maybe someday our own civilization could resort to means such as the ones in the movie. I also think it stirred up some conspiracy theories as well. I know I saw things in the movie, that as awful as it sounds, I could see governments around the world doing, or maybe even things that they already have done.

I really liked the movie. It's awesome.

And I don't think it glorifies terrorrism, just gives you a different point of view about it.
It's very actual in my opinion :smiley:

Great acting by everyone. :D

Yeah, I don't think it glorifies terrorism at all. I think it shows that there are times to take action, but it can still be taken too far. V's problem was that it was very personal for him and he had revenge related side trips that didn't really do anything to further his freedom shtick. That was why he knew he had to die in the end, because he had become just as bad as the people he was fighting. He was no longer fit to live in the new age.

Also, from how I see it, V falls into the freedom fighter niche more than the terrorist one because he only attacked those who were guilty of perpetrating the evil the government was doing. Only military and corrupt officials. No civilians.

Like I said, I think the movie warns against taking things to extremes.

Yeah see I saw it as propaganda, and a HUGE exaggeration of real life. Which is what scared me about it...

The only part that scared me was that when it was created in the 80s, a lot of the ideas seemed unreal and that they'd never come to pass. However, here we are (it even doesn't matter where you live) and the ideas have become reality. Abridging rights, CCTV cameras everywhere, phone taps, etc.

I should hope things to be exaggerated. If V for Vendetta represents our current world, then that's be a shame. Understatement of the century, I know. But enough of it is accurate enough to make people wonder where things are going.

For some reason I was expecting my aussie friend Richard to no like this film. He reacted very harshly to Munich because Steven and the screenwriters didn't demonize the terrorists like he hoped. But he really liked this film and unlike me he's a moderate conservative. Here's his review....

I just saw the movie last night and I really enjoyed it! Yes, it is easy to see how some people could take this movie the wrong way...but I simply cannot see how this movie glorifies terrorism (which I of course, utterly despise).

I think that the simple message at the heart of this film is that people must fight against oppression. That's exactly what V is doing. However, nothing should really be read into the fact that he's fighting against the British government in this film, because as I'm sure most people can see, this government is NOTHING like Tony Blair's government (or the US or Australian governments either, for that matter). It's much more like Nazi Germany, the (former) Soviet Union, East Germany, North Korea, China, Saddam Hussein's Iraq, Iran, or Afghanistan under the Taliban. That being the case, I'm a bit mystified as to how some critics have managed to label it an anti-war film - as its central theme would seem to lend support to the idea that such oppressive regimes should be destroyed and freedom allowed to flourish...

All that Alan More has done has asked WHAT IF Britain became a fascist regime in 20+ years time. I don't think that anyone could really try and say that Britain is actually like this now, in any way, at the current time. (though I'm sure there would be some who would like to see it this way). Sure, V might be called a terrorist, but just look at who's calling him a terrorist (the fascist government). I wouldn't take their word for it :P

In short, this film is about as accurate an account British society today as the George Orwell's novel 1984 was with regards to how things actually were in 1984. Nonetheless, it's a great spectacle and has a bit of an unique angle to it.

There is such a difference between freedom fighter/patriot and terrorist. During the American revoluntionary war no called the colonists that fought against the British soldiers (even though the idea existed way before the) terrorists. They were called patriots.

And I can't imagine V siding with the terrorists of today. He is for citizens keeping their civil liberties like privacy while these terrorists are about oppression against gays, women, people of different religions etc.

the scary thing isn't what the gov't is doing in the movie, it's that the people go along with it.

I kind of disagree. While it is rather scary that these people are going along with the restrictions without a fight I don't think it is nearly as scary as the government having that much power. This government obviously has no qualms in killing people who are out of line or throwing them into prison. I would expect that most people would be much too frightened to voice their concerns, and some might never have known a time when things like this were not in place. It's more frightening that this government is able to take such control and is willing to do absolutely anything to keep that control.

Loved it. Third best comic book (Sorry, did I say comic book? *cough* Graphic novel.) adaptation I've ever seen (Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins beating it out). I actually tried the toast-egg creation (which I fondly refer to as 'V Toast')--it was pretty delicious. ^__^

I kind of disagree. While it is rather scary that these people are going along with the restrictions without a fight I don't think it is nearly as scary as the government having that much power. This government obviously has no qualms in killing people who are out of line or throwing them into prison. I would expect that most people would be much too frightened to voice their concerns, and some might never have known a time when things like this were not in place. It's more frightening that this government is able to take such control and is willing to do absolutely anything to keep that control.

I agree.

I thought this movie was brilliant. I saw it at about ... eleven o'clock at night and loved it.

Natalie Portman was amazing in this movie. Her acting ability made my eyes widen.

V's story was awesome, and his ancedotes were halarious.

I wasn't surprised with the whole "terrorism" thing. I mean going into seeing this movie I knew it would be dealing with Naziism and the strive for complete control.

The ending gave me chills with all the people that joined in with him and who wore the mask. Great scene.

I can't believe I forgot who the director was, but he did an amazing job. very well done.

I give it three thumbs up (I made up a thumb for that heh)

I saw it recently and thought it was the best movie I've ever seen. Very good plot. I enjoyed the entire movie. The only thing I didn't like was that V died. I would've prefered that he lived. I look at the parliament as the terrorists and V as the hero :P LOL i know I'm fucked up. Natalie Portman was such a good actress!

Back