Sci-Fi Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Tagline: A universe without boundaries needs heroes without limits.

Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction, Action

Director: Luc Besson

Cast: Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne, Clive Owen, Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, Herbie Hancock, Kris Wu, Rutger Hauer, John Goodman, Elizabeth Debicki, Sam Spruell, Ola Rapace, Alain Chabat, Thom Findlay, Mathieu Kassovitz, Aymeline Valade, Sasha Luss, Pauline Hoarau, Jonas Bloquet, Sand Van Roy, Louis Leterrier, Olivier Megaton, Sam Douglas, Diva Sicard, Eric Lampaert, Alexandre Willaume, Gavin Drea, Réginal Kudiwu, David Michie, Marion Roussignol, Emilie Pommelet, Roman Blomme, Emilie Livingston, Alexandre Nguyen, Aurelien Gaya, Mikael Buxton, Yun Lai, Anders Heinrichsen, Tristan Robin, Yun-Ping He, James Flynn, David Clark, Ben Mauro, Jean-François Lenogue, Peter Eberst, Xavier Giannoli, Eric Rochant, Benoît Jacquot, Gérard Krawczyk, Pierre Cachia, David Saada, Hippolyte Burkhart-Uhlen, Florian Guichard, Stéphane Mir, Thierry Barthe, Pier Ewudu, Andrew Tisba, Yannick Lorté, Charly Akakpo, Clément Beauruelle, Audrey Kamp, Anthony Hornez, Julien Bleitrach, Maxime Babara Touré, Barbare Weber Scaff, Marilhéa Peillard, Lee Delong, Judith Brunett, Marie Barrouillet, Cindy Bruna, Sija Titko, Daphnée Kbidi, Nick Marzock, Stefan Konarske, Mahamadou Coulibaly, Julien Marlin, Yvan Lucker, Tom Hygreck, Abel Jafri, Laurent Ferraro, Jean-Robert Lombard, Leonid Glushchenko, Akim Chir, Laminé Ba, Paul Lefèvre, Guillaume Maison, Jean-Christophe Brizard, Patrick Cottet-Moine, Irene Palko, Tonio Descanvelle, Velvet D'Amour, Doug Rand, Grant Moninger, Robbie Rist, Christopher Swindel, Claire Tran, Alain Etoundi, Fayet Nsumoto, Kristina Kachinskaya, Veronika Khayla, Sissi Duparc, Noam Frost, Pauline Serreau, Philippe Rigot, Étienne Ménard, Peter Lamarque, Maximilien Seweryn, Zouheir Zerhouni, Tristan Zerbib, Elliot Jenicot, Staiv Gentis, Chloé Hollings, Aguendia Fotabong, Tania Dessources, Gaëtan Cotigny, François Bredon, Peter Hudson, Cédric Chevalme, Thalia Besson

Release: 2017-07-20

Runtime: 136

Plot: In the 28th century, Valerian and Laureline are special operatives charged with keeping order throughout the human territories. On assignment from the Minister of Defense, the two undertake a mission to Alpha, an ever-expanding metropolis where species from across the universe have converged over centuries to share knowledge, intelligence, and cultures. At the center of Alpha is a mysterious dark force which threatens the peaceful existence of the City of a Thousand Planets, and Valerian and Laureline must race to identify the menace and safeguard not just Alpha, but the future of the universe.
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

The quality of SFX of Avatar (2009) but a different story and setting.

The reviews I have read say it is a disaster but the trailer looks pretty with all that eye candy.
Sorta reminds me of Origin Wars: Osiris Child

Valerian received mixed reviews from critics, who praised its visuals while criticizing the plot and some of the casting. Despite the film's being a disappointment at the box office, director Luc Besson claims a sequel is still possible due to positive fan reaction.

dang, Valerian disappeared quick.
don't think they'll ever get their money back on that.
biggest bust since 'John Carter'?

I find it funny because I liked both films.
But then, I'm pretty easy on films as long as they use decent standards.
There are films I shut off within 5 minutes.